The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia a 'torn' nation?

Is Australia a 'torn' nation?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
In his book, "The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order", Samuel P. Huntington, American Professor of International Relations, claims that Australia is a "torn" nation - a nation attempting to redefine its civilisational identity. However, unlike other "torn" nations such as Russia, Turkey and Mexico, Australia is not moving closer to Western civilisation. Rather, it is attempting to distance itself from it.

Huntington notes that Australia has been a Western nation since its inception, but under Paul Keating, Australian political leaders decided that Australia should "defect from the West, redefine itself as an Asian society, and cultivate close ties with its geographical neighbors." He then notes the Australian public's antipathy towards the imposition of an alien, non-Western identity and the implacable refusal of Asian leaders to accept a European-derived nation within their region.

Huntington predicts that if this trend continues, Australia will be irreparably torn between its "branch office of empire" heritage and the "new white trash of Asia."

Huntington dubs Australia's delusions as "cultural schizophrenia" and concludes that Australia should seek closer ties with its traditional Western allies, rather than engage in an ultimately deleterious attempt to fundamentally reshape its identity in the futile hope of gaining membership into Asian trade blocs.

In all, Huntington's views regarding Australia's place in the world are highly thought-provoking. I agree with Huntington that Australia does have a major identity crisis. We live in a nation unwilling to teach its history or embrace its Western culture and heritage. Multiculturalism has eroded the nation's identification with Western civilisation, denied a common Australian culture, and promoted ethnic and non-Western cultural identities and groupings.

If demography dictates all, then Australia's declining Anglo-Celtic/European population in combination with high Asian immigration may indeed result in Australia becoming "torn" in several different ways. As the Chinese are reputed to have said: "May you live in interesting times."
Posted by Oligarch, Tuesday, 17 April 2007 5:31:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The answer is NO.
Other western counties have greater problems than we do france,usa,uk,holland being so called torn nations.
As for the white trash of asia what crap. lots of black trash, asian trash ,hispanic trash, moslin trash, so on but you carn`t say that can you
Posted by aussiedave, Tuesday, 17 April 2007 10:23:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oli
Australia does seem torn, but not so much between an Asian or Western Identity, its more just plain confusion due to the lack of a firm moral and spiritual foundation, which has been undermined continuously since Philip Adams and Terry Lane were pups :)...

I don't think it should ever be a matter of 'Western' or 'Asian' identity, they are not mutually incompatable. In any case, 'Asian' is not monolithic. Personally, I feel quite at home in Asian countries as an Aussie, because I learnt long ago they are just as smart and fair dinkum as us, and have the same struggles. Its no biggy to find 'good blokes' and good mates who can be as close as an 'Aussie' mate.

We need to strengthen our ties with the West for sure, but only those aspects of the West which truly serve our long term interest. To me, strong ties to the UN and its brain damaged, historically and culturally naive 'conventions' would be the WORST thing we can do.

Lets re-define ourselves as 'Australians' and this should simply mean we pick and choose our allies and enemies in terms of our perceived national and cultural interest.

I would not feel comfortable identifying myself with 'all' the baggage of Western history, such as Commodore Perry of the US navy standing off Tokyo bay in 1859 basically 'telling' the Japs to open up 'or else'. I'm sure the Japanese share my discomfort there.

At the same time, I feel no longing to identify with Japanese Nationalism as manifested during the last world war.

The key to a rich and fulfilling future for Australia is to be fair yet responsible, compassionate for righteous causes, humble in strength and prosperity, and as far as it depends on us, to live peacefully with all.

With such values, we need not struggle to find identity, we would have one to be admired.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 6:49:01 AM
One person thinks we are torn between western and Asian identities. The next person says multicultural and racial composition is what is tearing us up. And finally it is a lack of moral and spiritual foundation that is doing us in.

Well I reckon its all a load of old bollocks.

What is really screwing us is the constant conflict between the push for maximised economic growth and the need to live within our means, the battle between unfettered capitalism and effective democracy, or the war between sustainability and antisustainability. This is far far more important than any other stresses in our society.

I wonder if Huntington even gave this a passing thought?
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 7:33:04 AM
aussiedave, the "new white trash of Asia" was a quote from Singapore's former Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew.
Posted by Oligarch, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 9:13:03 AM
Australia is hell bent on committing cultural and national suicide. Social cohesion is already in tatters. The country is stuffed, to put it mildly.

While politicians argue about AWA's, aboriginal handouts and other minor irritations, foreigners are taking our jobs, our industries and our identity. And in this century - the next at the latest - all people living in Australia will have their bums in the air and their heads pointing towards Mecca five times a day.

Again, I have to say that I'm glad that I am on the downhill run and will not be around when the nasty stuff really hits the fan
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 10:55:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy