The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia a 'torn' nation?

Is Australia a 'torn' nation?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Leigh, our politicians ignored Geoffrey Blainey back in the 1980s when he presciently forewarned of the very problems that Australia is now facing as a result of high immigration, from water shortages to social dislocation. Although its out of print, Blainey's 1984 book "All for Australia" is certainly not out of date and is well worth the read. According to the book, the Immigration Department began practicing a new form of discrimination when it decided to accept 900,000 Indochinese refugees in order to boost Australia's Asian population, but rejected Polish refugees fleeing martial law on the dubious grounds that they didn't qualify for refugee status. Blainey claims that Australia's "immigration policy has moved from one extreme to another, from a policy that told Asians to keep out, to a policy that now gives the [then] tiny Asian portion of the Australian population four of every ten migrant places."

In the end though, I'm not blaming minorities for Australia's problems. Rather, it is our politicians which are solely to blame. Fraser, Hawke, Keating and now Howard have done more damage to the fabric of Australian society than any external force, Islam included, could hope to do.
Posted by Oligarch, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 1:24:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everything that has been said here, has been being said for thousands of years.
Actually, probably earlier. I dare say the Greeks had similar worries.

No doubt it will continue for many more.

-We will continue to face challenges.
-We will learn from some, yet not from others.
-Everyone will have a different idea of what is wrong and many will attempt to force their view on others.
-Many will express their doom and gloom for the future, yet few will realise this means they should relax and enjoy the present.
-We will never be able to experience a definitive apocalyptic moment - either we will decline and argue on pinpointing it, or we won't have significant time to reflect upon it.
-Some will always be more fortunate than others.
-There will always be those who treat all who are different with suspicion.

A torn nation? Seems pretty good to me. Ironic that those who are so fond of protecting some kind of anglo-saxon Australia seem to think it's already in the crapper.
I wonder if hypochondria is a term that can be extended to politics and academia...
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 2:02:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oligarch
It is dishonest and misleading not to attribute quotes, as soon as you attributed " poor white trash of Asia" to Lee Kuan Yew I had some idea as to how many grains of salt I should accord it.
O' boy hasn't this flushed out the luddite's, racist's, Hansonite's and the general rabid ratbag right wing rabble.
People are people, just cos' you have a white skin and an Akubra doesn't make you superior, a pox on all bigots
Posted by alanpoi, Wednesday, 18 April 2007 3:23:50 PM
Alanpoi just because you claim that white people are racist and supremists doesnt mean that you arent as well, in fact you just showed your bigotory towards white people when in fact their is not a race on this planet that isnt racist and bigotied towards their own race.
Posted by sharkfin, Thursday, 19 April 2007 12:21:03 AM
Turnleft, Turnright,

Without intregation the country will simply divide into two or three separate countries eventually but not without bloodshed. History repeatedly demonstrates that. Who are you to fly in the face of history? You must be a lot more superiour to other men who walked before you on the earth if you think this wont happen but then perhaps you want it to happen, why else would you object to a dominant anglo-saxon culture.

I bitterly resent the politicians who engineered the coming bloodshed my grandchildren or their children will have to live through. And who still fail to act while bringing cheap foreign labour into the country. They had 100.000s of thousands of mexican workers bought into work cheaply who marched in cities across American refusing to go home as theyve lived and worked in the country for 20years or more. Thats whats going to happen here too when the companies and bosses keep renewing the visas when they're happy with the workers they bring in rather then go to the trouble to get new ones
Posted by sharkfin, Thursday, 19 April 2007 12:53:39 AM
Oh dear, poor Alanpoi is still living in the 1980s. Rather than engage in a rational debate about the collective interests of the nation, he is capitivated by the cult of the minority and attempts to stifle any dissenting opinions by labelling his opponents as "racist." Absolutely pathetic. In reality, such scurrilous insults simply expose Alanpoi's intellectual bankruptcy and his aversion to reasoned discussion.

There is nothing "racist" about a country seeking to maintain its predominant culture. Each nation has its own traditions and culture, and there seems nothing undesirable in wishing to retain them, instead of being overborne by large immigrations of disparate and perhaps culturally hostile groups. Asian nations understand this and have no hesitation in exercising immigration controls to perserve their own cultural and ethnic compositions. But then again, Alanpoi knew that already, right Alan?

By the way Alan, most informed Australians would already be aware of the "poor white trash of Asia" quote. Not that I would ever imply that you are ignorant.
Posted by Oligarch, Thursday, 19 April 2007 9:58:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy