The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What happened to

What happened to

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
The American psyche’.

At the end of the 19th century, the United States began to realize the potential they had as a world power. The leaders of the United States saw no reason that they should not become an imperial power and decided it was necessary for them to begin immediately before Europe had complete colonial control over the world.

The United States developed naval bases in the Caribbean and Pacific stepping into the affairs of other countries when it was necessary in order to maintain the well being of North and South America. The American administration believed that taking over other countries was perfectly ethical for Americans because they were the superior race.

The ideas of Social Darwinism and Anglo-Saxonism were at the base. Americans believed that they had the right to colonize so that they could survive as the fittest. After establishing their new ideas were morally correct, the United States kicked off new foreign policy by establishing overseas military bases. American planters in Hawaii revolted against the traditional government there and planned to enter the Union.

When Venezuela was having border conflicts, the States intervened. When Cuba went to war with Spain for their independence, again the States intervened. From this Spanish/American war, they acquired Puerto Rico, Guam,Philippines, and naval rights in Cuba. In 10 short years they became an imperial power.

There is no good guy bad guy, but the American administration and the financiers who built the nation are morally bankrupt. From the McCarthyism of the 50’s that was nothing more than an attempt to stifle free thinking and speech to the assassination of the only Catholic President the shadows that direct the Administration manipulate the population. In the American democracy you have the right to say nearly anything you want, but if you get popular support, they will demolish you just like they demolished the WTC’s.

Remember superman? The voice over pronounced “he fights for truth, justice, and the American way”…..Guantanamo is the American way.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 14 October 2012 9:37:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@SPQR

The testimony is by US guards!
I am not suggesting anyone is fostering terrorism

Rather my statement:"Torture has a brutalizing effect. What we do today to supposed terrorists we will find reasons to repeat against others and inevitably against each other."

This is drawing attention to desensitization.
First you torture a confirmed terrorist, then his children, than his friend, then refugees, then....

Have a look at US incarceration rates.

We are on a cultural spiral of stupidity and that will inevitably entail a growth in barbarism.
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 14 October 2012 9:38:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@sonofglion
I agree with most of what you say.
However, in all those events you sight the US denies culpability or intention.

In this instance of widespread torture there is no denial, only dissemblance as to what constitutes torture. In effect, this is official justification for its use.

Australia is a member of the coalition for the willing. As a citizen, this official torture regime is exercised in my name, defended by my government, assented to by my media, excused by my political, community and business leaders.

Thus, I and all Australians are culpable. I and all of us are parties to this treatment of other humans as less than animals, living in pig pens, in their own filth, injected with experimental drugs, denied hope or even the peace which comes with death.
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 14 October 2012 11:09:22 AM
What is meant by torture, going without your weeties for a week. In days gone by they would pull your arms and legs off one at a time.
While there are acts like stoning and cutting limbs off in the world i think it is hard to know what is torture.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 14 October 2012 11:20:15 AM
For SPQR whats more scary those koran reciting kids or these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295KeA1MTJc
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 14 October 2012 11:25:52 AM
Hi YEBIGA,

<< I am not suggesting anyone is fostering terrorism …[but] drawing attention to [our] desensitization [to it]>>

That may be your intention but I suspect the mad rush to spill the beans on any hint of “abuse” however flimsy its basis –and the ready rewarding of anyone who can spin such a story produces serious collateral damage [ And I am not pretending to know the answer/alternative to it]

I am debating with a chappy on another thread, at the present time, who knows all about all the wrongs of the USA: “the biggest terrorist in the last 70 years” but DOES NOT KNOW –and further, DOES NOT WANT TO KNOW about the far greater wrongs of the other side. And what makes it really tragic is, he grew-up and was “EDUCATED” in Australia.

Have look at these posters from the streets of Tehran : http://tinyurl.com/8snkg3j
(all courtesy of some high principled YEBIGA somewhere in New York, London or OLO)

And, that is before we even get to all those thousands who vote Green –what sort of warped upbringing , and one-eyed presentation of events must they have endured to turn out the way they have?

<<For SPQR whats more scary those koran reciting kids or these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295KeA1MTJc >>

Both are scarey –but the Koranic automatons are MORE scarey, because the madrassas are regularly used as recruiting grounds for suicide bombers --you can't get much more "desensitization" than that!
http://mydailyclarity.com/2009/12/international-students-and-pakistan%E2%80%99s-conservative-madrassas
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 14 October 2012 11:50:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy