The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Queensland Government Job Cuts

Queensland Government Job Cuts

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Rehctub you are making pretty big assumptions about those being retrenched and the likelyhood that the cut's will be done based on peoples individual performance.

I've never been direct public service but have worked for a GOC and neither of your assumptions reflect what I've experienced. Most of the people I've worked with have worked fairly hard, from what I've seen in small businesses around the place the people I've worked with have nothing to be ashamed of in their work ethic.

I went through a retrenchment some years ago and the cut's were not based on performance, it was a numbers game with departments having to cut numbers regardless of performance. My position went in the same week I got a commendation from the CEO for the work I'd done on a project that had just wound up.

There is some dead wood in government but a lot of people work very hard as well. Nothing I've seen of what Newman is doing suggests a cull of bludgers.

None of that excuses Newman for breaking his word. It wasn't good enough when it was Labor, it's not good enough when it's the side I vote for.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 13 September 2012 10:44:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bad luck Anthony, for I have only the very best cigars, right here :)
So you can stick yours wherever you like, it really doesen't matter.

So now you want to blame Clinton for what happened 8 years later.
You really don't know much about Wall St, Anthony, so to knitting or
something where you know something.

It was in fact Mr Costello, who installed a tough banking regulator
to oversee the Australian financial sector. Result was that we
came out in great shape. Costello left our Govt debt free too.
Its been downhill ever since
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 13 September 2012 10:47:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nothing I've seen of what Newman is doing suggests a cull of bludgers
R0bert,
You've got a point there. I'm very keen to find out which positions are going. There are many Q-Build tradies in the firing line yet no bureaucrats who could afford to go early. I think CN needs to exercise a lot of reason rather than just cut'n slash. As I said before he should offer lower pay & the people could then choose to leave or stay. After all, any job loss is a nail in the Qld economy's coffin. How about a pay cut for parliamentarians & high ranking bureaucrats who are not really of benefit to Qld.
Posted by individual, Friday, 14 September 2012 6:50:53 AM
Yabby,
For once you're partly right, in Australia it was Costello who withstood pressure to lighten regulation.
But you just disproved your own originl point that it's who voters elect who cause all the problems, by acknowledging that it was a politician who protected the punters from.... Wait for it, here it comes... The BANKERS.
Which proves my original point that it isn't ordinary working people who create these problems, but people who never have to suffer the consequences.
Yabby, you can't even manage to be consistent in what you're arguing for.
But thanks for supporting my original proposition.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Friday, 14 September 2012 7:08:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anthony, you remain totally confused, but that does not suprise me.

Politicians can do good or bad, it depends who people elect. In
this case people were smart enough to have elected Costello and he
got it right. Those who voted for Bush can only blame themselves for
their poor judgement, so they are responsible for their actions.

You remain confused with your "bankers" claim. Savings banks are
not so called investment banks. Those who work in so called
investment banks are hardly bankers, but traders, deal doers,
etc. There are crooks on Wall St as there are crooks on every street.
It is the job of Govt to regulate them and jail those who are.

People who work in the finance industry are ordinary people, just
like people who work in the food industry or medical industry.
Crooks exist in every industry.

Ordinary Americans are to blame for electing George Bush, and he
was the man ultimately responsible for screwing up. Just as we
are to blame for the Govt that we elected.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 14 September 2012 9:22:03 AM
to yabby - absolutly correct,Costello made the rule that NO bank could borrow from any source, more than it had as colateral in funds under management. This little rule was common sense and it saved ozzie bacon with the big crunch.
Posted by pepper, Friday, 14 September 2012 9:42:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy