The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The medicalisation of mental health

The medicalisation of mental health

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I really like the article, posted on online opinion, by David ebb and Melissa Raven http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=10267.
In this article these academics bring to our attention to the fact that the influential ideas of Professor McGorry are problematic. Such ideas are also part of an attempt to push and promote the medicalisation of mental health.

Unfortunately, for those who know how dangerous anti psychotic and anti depressant drugs are, and how they work, McGorry ideas are not short of dangerous. For our young people, medication can cause a lot of severe physical illnesses and can sometime lead to worsening of their mental condition, rather than reduce it. Therapy is always the preferred intervention and in my experience, in contact with many sufferers each day, wherever social and psychological conditions are favorable, the sufferers will often improve without need of medication.

Basically, anti psychotic drugs work by disrupting usual chemical and electrical functions of the brain so that the sufferer experiences things differently which can sometimes buy enough time, when combined with therapy, to improve one's mental health. This is only a temporary fix and medication does not work well in the long run for it is not meant to be a long term treatment at least not to the extent that we are seeing today. However, such drugs are extremely dangerous and toxic especially for our young people.

I am new to this forum but I would like some feedback on this . Thanks
Posted by alfredo, Thursday, 26 January 2012 12:19:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am sorry, I have misspelled David Webb's surname. It is Webb not ebb.
Posted by alfredo, Thursday, 26 January 2012 2:57:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As the father of a daughter who is being medicated and otherwise being subjected to intrusive interventions for what seems to me to be no more than normal adolescent emotional instability, all of which is beyond my capacity to influence, or even to be kept informed about, I have to concur that there seems to be a prima facie case of over-prescription and over-servicing generally.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 26 January 2012 2:57:31 PM
welcome..[i hesitate to say you came to the right place]
but heck its allways good to see a new face
and face new thought

i tried to raise other issues..a few times
[re adverse reaction to perscribed drugs]

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=4914&page=0

demonstrating i hope..that those one in four
that geneticly are susseptable to cancer[are the only ones that can get it..the rest simply cant..

i recall i first heard the facts[of 2 in 100 dopesmokers
will claim the cause of a phycotic episode..to be cannabis
then i found out in the 'normal non smoking population'..its 4/100

so i dont trust statistics

i know one of the things that sends me nutts
is the ill-logic..of the haters that quote statisical ommision
[avoiding one set of data..to quote their preferd data set]

like one in 100 hospital admissions is for adverse reraction,..to perscribed meds[one in ten results in death]

but am unable to find drink related deaths
that spike on friday/sat night

there is also the statistical game..
re cancers..and smoking...[the rates of caners..for smokers and non smokers is the same[so clearly smoking isnt a facter]

yet all deaths of smoking RELATED
all go to the quoted snmoker death numbers

anyhow
welcome

hope you attract others
to solutions...for the true problems
not the spin of the nanny state..looking for new tax income

or jobs for the 'boys'
like the..bloated qld health beurocrazey
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 26 January 2012 3:12:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Antiseptic and one under god, thank you for your comments. I tend to agree with what you say about your daughter Antiseptic. Very interesting. Thank you for your warm welcome.
Posted by alfredo, Thursday, 26 January 2012 4:35:16 PM
Alfredo welcome and thanks for an interesting thread.
About 14 months ago I told of three teenagers injured one near death after a needless car wreck.
The near death one, a first time traveler in that car, on the night he met the driver nearly died.
Mentally well he will suffer poor health for his remaining life.
He , trying to fit in, with his mates took drugs, just weed, but far too much of it.
He was institutionalized, and only the drugs you, and anti fear put him back on track.
He has been very lucky and, thankfully knows it, he will not use drugs again, but life will be tough at times.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 26 January 2012 5:03:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy