The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Can we transcend tribalism?

Can we transcend tribalism?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
David f.,

Can we transcend tribalism?
It seems to be intrinsically built into out psyche. Humans have a need to identify with "their" group. This identity forms part of their idea of self, but it's balanced by the equally engaging reality that they are one part of a greater dimension. Their can be no separation of these two realities.

Even in modern society this behaviour abounds and is often enforced. We dress the kiddies in school uniforms. They then identify with their school...all the others are dressed in the same colours in the same fashion. I'm often fascinated by the male suit. At once it denotes that the wearer has bought into the capitalist paradigm. Our costumes assign us to our tribe in the same way that a header-hunter's did in traditional societies.

Tribalism is self-transcendency which is vital for communal relations to succeed.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 5 November 2011 8:58:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Poirot,

Identifying with a group is a normal tendency. Many times it is valuable for mental well being and survival. However, by transcending tribalism, I do not mean cutting oneself off from those with whom one identiifies. I mean getting rid of the feelings that those who do not belong to one's tribe are somehow less human, not as virtuous or in general not quite as good.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 5 November 2011 9:40:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David f.,

Psychologically speaking, I think tribalism precludes recourse to the idea that the "other" [tribe] possess equal merit.
Even if we rationalise that this should be so, if any pressure comes to bear on the otherwise harmonious relationship between tribes, then immediately ideas of egalitarianism contract and loyalty is applied only within psychological tribal boundaries.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 5 November 2011 9:58:19 AM
Dear Poirot,

You're probably right. My wishing we could get beyond tribalism does mean we can get beyond it. In times of stress and conflict we dehumanise those not members of our tribe. Therefore to transcend tribalism we must work for a more peaceful world. However, tribalism makes it difficult to have a more peaceful world.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 5 November 2011 10:32:56 AM
rightfully this deserves its own topic
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2011/11/01/3352502.htm

BUT..it matches this topic
to perfection

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/browse/video_popup.htm?vidURL=/tv/bigideas/stories/2011/11/01/3352502-mediarss-preview.xml&vidTitle=Slavoj Zizek: A New Kind of Communism&vidLength=Highlight

anyhow im looking for a transcript
this guys words are of great intrest

im saving the audio podcast
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/fodi_slavojzizek_full.mp3

heck i cant think of a better thing to do that watch these too
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/tv_show/

now to find the transcript
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 5 November 2011 1:08:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WTF?
I’ve transcended tribalism.
I was born into a family that was part of two different tribes.
I was initiated into a religious tribe of my parents.
I joined local sporting tribes.
I was educated about my national tribe when I went to school.
I was expected to follow my national and provincial tribe at sporting events.
I am bombarded by accomplishments from these tribe members from news sources.
I am expected to support tribe members who are incarcerated by other tribes.
I am expected to follow all the tribe’s norms and rules.

I now prefer to live on the fringe of all these tribes and I am very happy.
Posted by WTF?, Sunday, 6 November 2011 6:06:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy