The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Black hole of Union finances.

The Black hole of Union finances.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Given that fair work Australia has been "investigating" the near bankrupt HSU and Thomson for more than 2 years, and has only just revealed that several years worth of documentation is "missing". This raises many questions to the level of scrutiny required for union finances. If this union was a public company there would be several people in jail, and a serious tax audit on every director.

Given that these are all funds coming from the pockets of supposed workers needing protection, books of unions in general should be audited to see whether the expenditures comply with firstly the law and secondly the published objectives of the union, and a general statement should be publicly available.

I wonder what other cans of worms are to be found in the books of unions that are not on the edge of bankruptcy.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 29 August 2011 10:07:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Any mud will do Shadow, unless it is about your former minister giving his son his credit card, parliamentary credit card.
Yep he got a drubbing but got away with it and a very serious lie more than once.
So too did 6 other tainted ex members who walked away under a white wash.
One a former Deputy Prime Minister Oakshot holds his seat.
However if convicted, does that matter? he should serve time.
A union Branch has a key credit card, controlled by its branch head delegated to its office manager.
I have blown a tyer a long way from any place, and needed to use it, a few times in fact.
I get the car to its fixing place by tow truck get the tyer fitted office manager rings the details of card.
On a trip away[ interstate even] too late to get travel expenses, clear union duty's, accommodation is booked ,sometimes that card is taken to cover a dinner or such with others at that meeting.
Even in my youth some, filth, stole union members funds.
Every time I heard of it I challenged it.
I helped the very boss I was to leave over, do an outstanding job, by removing such a grub, from the position and the union.
I can not say union heads are all angels, I would love to sit on the shoulder of my ex boss chattering away in his ear you are not a God.
But he, and every one I know of, is not a thief.
I reserve the right to keep to myself what else I may whisper in his ear but well done SM your usual muck raking and top grade as usual.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 29 August 2011 11:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK Belly,

Let's compare Peter Reith's phone card scandal with Thomson's rort.

1. PR gave the phone card details to his son for occasional contact, not intending to rack up more than a few dollars. His son abused it to the tune of some hundreds of dollars, and the details were stolen and about $50k was racked up.

2. It was picked up by PR the instant the bill came through, and PR immediately referred it to the police, and issued a statement.

3. He then paid the total amount back out of his own pocket.

Now, please try and compare it to the thievery and fraud that Thomson is implicated in, how forthcoming he has been, and how likely the union is to see its money again.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 29 August 2011 1:35:21 PM
Implicated is the word. Can't anybody wait till this has been looked into, without surmising this that and any other thing has happened.
SM is a serial bog thrower.
Posted by a597, Monday, 29 August 2011 2:03:47 PM
A571,

This thread has been deflected back into my thread on Thomson. As for the word implicated, it means not yet convicted. A man standing over a body with a smoking gun and 3 eye witnesses is "implicated" as is Thomson with the overwhelming body of evidence against him.

This thread is about the union officials who use union funds like their own personal fiefdom. I don't believe the HSU is the only union being ripped off by its officials, and believe that the unions deserve as much scrutiny as public companies.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 29 August 2011 2:24:26 PM
I think the Labor Party are rotten to the core.Belly holds up Bob Carr as a paragon best labor practise and he was the best that they were.Well Bob called desalination plants bottled electricity and environmentally disasterous.So off trots Bob top the Middle East,does 180 deg turn and then sings the praises of this white elephant.

Bob Carr then resigns and within 6 mths gets a part time consultancy worth $500,000 pa for lining up NSW Govt contracts for the Macquarie Bank.No wonder we are $5 billion in debt.

At the moment ,it is the lesser of two evils and Labor are totally dysfunctional at every level.Jack Lang would be turning in his grave.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 29 August 2011 7:10:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy