The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Greens...are they trying to acheive to much?

The Greens...are they trying to acheive to much?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The Greens have just posted their Policies for the coming election but I wonder have they spread themselves to far?

They seem to have a solution for all of society's ills instead of concentrating on those things which are more easily achieved, and many of their aims, whilst doing good would also have bad effects.

The Eden woodchiping is one example, they would close the mill but they offer no solution to the resultant unemployment problem nor to the financial consequences to the town.
Another is the coal mining industry, they would shut the mines, but what would be the cost to the State let alone the cost to miners and their families.

It is fair to ask if there is any real substance to this party and if they could be trusted to work for the greater good of all the people of NSW?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 11 March 2007 1:24:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The NSW Greens have no policies on population growth/stabilization/size and nothing on sustainability per se. Other policies might touch on these issues, but it is just unacceptable to not address these vital subjects head-on.

The Australian Greens policies have been withdrawn from their website for review and are currently entirely unavailable.

Is Mise, I think they have spread themselves too far and dissipated their energies with all sorts of minor issues – minor compared to sustainability and population that is.

I can’t say they’ve lost their way because I don’t think that they have ever been focused on the right things!

I think the mood is right for them to gain huge support if they would just make sustainability their bottom line. With the right sort of campaign, this could win the hearts of a large portion of the Australian populace.

It befuddles me entirely as to how the Greens, who are supposed to be the environmentally enlightened political entity of this country, can see fit to piffle around the edges of the parameter that so obviously matters the most – susbloominstainability!!

Similarly, it is perplexing in the extreme as to how they can just simply not address population issues, which is an essential major factor of sustainability and can see fit to allow a rapidly increasing demand on all our resources, many of which are somewhere between becoming stressed and severely stressed.

As a former Qld Greens state candidate, it pains me greatly to criticize the Australian and NSW Greens in this way. But I think it needs to be said.

In fact I’ll even take it one step further: for as long as the Greens don’t address the core of sustainability issues, especially the continuous growth paradigm, they are effectively facilitating the continued antisustainable momentum of our society, which is just going to lead to greater environmental destruction, resource depletion, greenhouse gas emissions, societal stresses, and to a reduced ability and will to deal with the big-picture damage we are causing as more and more focus and money gets geared towards here-and-now crisis issues.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 11 March 2007 10:26:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know Eden really well. I know some of the chippers and the area they work in. The chippers get tired of the Liberals patronising to them when at the end of the day, they are doing a job, and they need to put food on the table.

The facts are that the number of chippers has been decreasing over the last 10 years. It is an industry that the town knows is in decline whether they like it or not. The coalition can't change that.

The town and the whole Sapphire Coast is moving on. The population of "seachange" people moving in is booming. Eden's real Estate prices are still rising, compared to Sydney.

The chippers are more concerned about the changes in IR laws than the Greens. The problem is that under the Howard plan for IR laws, if and when they lose their jobs, there could be little if no compensation, payouts, redundancy pay, or any industrial relations bargaining. They will just be kicked out in that cold, and that is that.

The Greens in these areas, like Eden Monaro are growing in membership. So much for the theory that chipping is such a concern down there.

As for sustainability, the Greens policy outlines more on sustainability than any other party running in the NSW State election.

The coalition wants population growth. Tony Abbott wants an Australian population of 60 million people in the next 10 years for a viable domestic market. Is that sustainable?

The greens want to build huge solar thermal power stations, like the model west of Liddel. They propose one west of Mooree, and one west of Coonabarabrin. They propose recycling water with various strategies for tanks, catchment and more efficient use of water.

If you can't see it in the policy, then I suggest you read it again.
Posted by saintfletcher, Monday, 12 March 2007 12:36:15 AM
I suspect that both major parties are out of favour with many voters at the moment.

Yesterday, I discussed sustainability and environmental issues with a federal Liberal MP. While courteous, I picked up on his dismissiveness (and disdain) over my concerns. Is this blinkered attitude the reason Libs do so poorly in state elections and remain in the wilderness?

The Greens deserve a chance - they couldn't be any worse than what we've had to ingest lately. The Greens lack of experience is not a real issue since governments make their decisions as a result of information gleaned from advisors anyway.

I believe it could be quite refreshing to see the Greens do better in the next election - providing they don't do any deals with Labor!
Hopefully, with additional Green MPs, they could better manage to "keep the bastards honest!"

With debates raging on climate change, global warming and sustainability, I reckon the next election will be the best opportunity the Greens have had for a successful outcome, since this party was formed.
Posted by dickie, Monday, 12 March 2007 1:55:35 PM
I went back and had a read again, particularly their firearms policy as I live in a rural community.
This one's a lulu.
Quote:
33. Enforcement of regulations requiring guns in homes in rural communities to be kept in a metal box with a combination lock securely bolted to wall or floor, with firing mechanisms and ammunition locked in a similar box in a separate room; Unquote.

Now imagine this. Mum is really proud of her small mob of fine wool sheep.Their wool is an important part of the family's economy.
"Dad, I think there's dogs at the sheep"
Dad gets out of bed and goes to get the shotgun. He fumbles around in the dark trying to open the combination lock, but he can't so he gets the torch (silly man he should have had it with him at the bedside).
Finds torch and under its other-hand-shaded light he manages to open the lock, gets the gun out and then heads off, still in the dark to the spare room where the ammo. box is kept. Repeats fumble at the lock under the shaded torch light, gets it open, gets the ammo out and the firing mechanism, fits it to the gun using one hand as he still has to shade the torch.
Loads gun and goes outside. Bad bloody luck! six of the prize sheep are dead with their throats torn out and another four are walking around treading on their own entrails. The dogs are gone.
Sadly he goes back to get the .22rf rifle as he wants to not only put the sheep out of their misery but also to save the meat and skins; after all times are tough.

I don't think that The Greens thought this one through.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 12 March 2007 2:51:12 PM
Is Mise

Try the Shooters website - they love blood and guts stories.
Posted by dickie, Monday, 12 March 2007 11:20:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy