The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why the tax is wrong

Why the tax is wrong

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The government says it is going to tax the large poluters while at the same time offer relief to the householder who is effected.

What they fail to take in to account is the fact that if a business has to find additional funds, be it for tAxes, wages, fees, anything, the business expects to get more than just their money back as they want a return on their additional investment, and who can blame them for that.

The government mean Tim expects these businesses to fund the additional tax and at best pass the costs on, however, they will pass the costs plus funding costs plus a margin on to the consumer.

This tax will have dire effects but I doubt it will get through, however, it is just one more example of how poor policy can rock the confidence of business and for that, we should all be worried.

It's all well and good to feel warm and fuzzy, but is it worth the risk as it is said that AUs contribution to co2 is likened to a single hair on the gateway bridge.

Government may be happy with a cost recovery policy, however, business does not work like that.

As this extra cost gets passed around each effected business will add their margin and the end user will pay big time.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 12 July 2011 9:43:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We all know that CO2 is plant food, & that is in low supply in the atmosphere at present, compared to much of the planets history. Be that as it may, the con job has frightened some.

If silly little Julia wanted to do something about emissions, she could switch our power generation to our newly found gas reserves. This would be silly, but viable.

She could stop coal mining, but even this fool is not that brave.

What I can't understand is the attitude of anyone who would bring in this tax, when we all know;

1/ It will have no effect on CO2 emissions, here or world wide.

2/It will destroy jobs for real Ozzies.

3/ It will destroy her party. There are not enough fools in Oz to vote them in again, after this.

4/ The planet, & the sun are in cooling mode. This tax will be seen as more stupid as time goes by.

Why could they not have recruited her to play a wicked witch in the Harry Potter movies? She could have had her fame, without destroying anything.

The call of sleeping in the Lodge must be very strong in her. Could it be like the force in a Jedi? I guess stupidity is something you are born with.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 13 July 2011 9:15:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I love the premise the OP's based on, i.e. that businesses are entitled to gouge their customers over and above taxes, while blaming the dreadful government for it. Perhaps I'd be a more successful businessman if I regarded taxes I pay as capital investment, upon which I'm entitled to a return. That explains alot, actually. It's probably legal, but hopefully your customers punish you by shopping at a more ethically-run business.

There's plenty of shortcomings in the Carbon Tax as proposed, but that isn't one of them.
Posted by morganzola, Wednesday, 13 July 2011 9:43:07 AM
shortcomings in the Carbon Tax as proposed, but that isn't one of them.
morganzola,
I'm sure it was like that on this planet when I last checked.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 13 July 2011 10:30:57 AM
To suggest that either the Labor party or the Liberal party have the necessary intelligence or integrity to properly handle the “Global Warming” if there is one, is of dubious value. Certainly there is Global warming, there have been volcanoes in Greenland, Cuba, volcanic fissures on the unstable ocean trench, and Japan has apparently seventy active volcanoes on its islands, so to suggest that the “warming” is all human generated, does seem to be more the clutching straws to save their excessive un-deserved salaries. The other Countries are suffering from the same problem, A low top tax allowing excessive incomes and high costs of goods and services, causing a bad economy and forcing wage earners out of their homes and onto the streets, you can check that yourself. The unemployment figure is a manipulated malicious figure, designed to pretend our workers are almost fully employed.
Posted by merv09, Wednesday, 13 July 2011 12:30:26 PM
@ individual:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding your one-line comments increasingly hard to decipher lately. Have you resorted to obscurantism to try and conceal that you've run out of original thoughts?
Posted by morganzola, Wednesday, 13 July 2011 12:57:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy