The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Work to welfare - Labor's live cattle policy.

Work to welfare - Labor's live cattle policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Banjo, there is an interesting article in the Weekend Australian,
which I have a copy of, but can't see the online version. What they
claim is that Ludwig was one of those who knifed Rudd in the back,
but now Rudd is expected to clean up Ludwig's mess in Indonesia and
he is mad as hell about it. Meantime pastoralists pay the price
of all the squabbling within the party .

Gertrude, your attempt to portray a rugged butcher is doomed to
failure, but keep trying lol. A butcher would know that consolidation,
automation and a 100 million drop in the sheep
population, was the reason for meatworks closing. 90% of livestock
are still slaughtered here. Next a butcher would know that he
can't export meat as a butcher, he'd have to be an accredited
export works, with AQIS staff looking over his shoulder. Next
he'd know that brains are available by the container load from Aus,
if you want to buy them. Next he'd know that he can buy all the
carcases he wants, if he can pay the bill. He can even buy them
in the saleyards and have them contract slaughtered.

But keep dreaming.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 2 July 2011 11:54:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby,
You have serious issues. According to you every bloody poster is ME- grow up.For your information whoever opened this thread the Indonesians told US at least 6 months ago they were dropping back 75% of live cattle intake.
If they didnt know up in NT WHY? Who``s crying about loss of jobs than ah? I said on the other thread it was 6 months ago - but i think more like EIGHT.
THE INDONESIANS gave us enough time to prepare for this- but we didnt why? THEY DID THE RIGHT THING. GAVE US HEAPS OF NOTICE! to turn the 75% reduction into jobs!jobs! jobs!Who ever its job was to warn these breeders ought to be shot.!

I dont support their treatment of animals but i *do understand their outrage & what they see as stunt to save face.

bronk

We are up about 30% more if you factor the high $. Free trade & subs makes it tough on red meat trade- impossible. You have lived with it i see. Droughts and short supply haven't helped. Puts the red trade up against live even more. Gone are our smaller farmers ( well most).
There is nothing stopping them to start trucking them as you said to QLD & more jobs for drivers.

Its up to you bronk but i would not suggest you even supported this thread. I am not going all over it again lets Yabby go with his endless dribble and of course the others know SO much about the meat trade-& jobs lost!!
Yeh right. Yabby Mr know it all doesn't even know they pulled out on us first! was always going happen...
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 3 July 2011 12:44:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican,

Please read up before you post. The local abattoirs prefer different breeds of cattle to those bred for live export, and so as mentioned above, the prices obtained are so low that often it costs more to transport them.

The sheep exports to Egypt were a tiny fraction of the market, and the breeds used were the same as locally consumed. So the comparison would be closer to stopping exports to a few non complying abattoirs in Indonesia.

One of the largest abattoirs in Indonesia is owned by Australia and run to Australian standards. Why is export to them banned? This is simply a knee jerk reaction to the polls.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 3 July 2011 6:08:46 AM
yabby such threads are not ones I will post in often.
But on reading your post I think I must.
Joe Ludwig is the son of one of my hero's, Bill father figure to my union.
He may or may not have been part of the team that removed Rudd.
That team, knew.knows more than we do about Rudd's faults.
They owe us an explanation, they owe us a reason for not pulling him in to gear.
And they owe me, a loyal servant, in a time my party is talking about reform, a reason [other than not wanting to be seen as wrong] for Gillards leap in to the trash can.
She, at least, acted totally wrongly in this issue.
Trying to cover herself in glory in the eyes of green/red left she dived in to head high depth of the waste product of male cattle.
And continues to try to find a way to turn it into a pedestal she can mount.
She is lost on this, more intent on NOT LETTING Kevin fix it.
A ban, for one month, freedom, not confinement for Rudd to act, and we by now or next week would be exporting cattle live cattle.
Not the phantom dreams of the truly lost wanting to turn Bos Indictus to Angus.
Not the Lotus eaters dream to turn us into lettuce eaters.
Labor was born in the bush, it should be farming bush votes not declaring war on them.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 3 July 2011 7:26:59 AM
Pelican,

Was directed to you. I wont butt in.

Note how they have avoided addressing the fact that Indonesian informed Australia months and months before hand they were reducing by 75%

( one) They dont want to tackle that one important fact.

(Two) In another thread Yabby said something that was spot on:
He reminded us how long it took to bend relationships with Malaysia.
He then accredited that to Downer & Howard. In part he was correct because they had the brains to engage a proper advisor unlike it is now.
Yes Yabby it was finally sorted & done through Howard & Downers advisor in Islamic affairs.
That same person ( or two people actually) two weeks ago kindly offered to go over & also invite Chris.
Your *correct in saying that was the only way to go. The offer was ignored by Ludwig's office. I give you ten out of ten for that.

I mean they fixed it before with Malaysia & at any rate the worst outcome might have been it failed this time. But we will never know know. So I dont disagree with you on that comment and it was a darn important comment you did make .
Never mind tomorrow you will read in the papers skinny Tony Abbott is going over :)

I saw him on a horse last week, must of been getting ready to impress the cattleman:) Woopy look out Bob!

Spoke with his advisor Tony Abbott's 3 months ago.
He said Yes, I am the advisor & my Dad used to have a farm too.:) Said he had actually even *been to *a abattoir in *Australia a few years back. Asked if he had ever seen a plant off shore- Answer NO

So lets skinny almighty ride off on his horse with his . er, advisor why not. Cant make matter worse- -- or can it?

The icing on the cake for AA I should think:)
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 3 July 2011 9:46:17 AM
But hang on, won't those workers just walk into one of those mine jobs that Yabby's always telling us us is the reason abattoirs supposedly can't get workers? Or couldn't they be employed in reopened abattoirs?

I realise that it's not as simple as that, but industries come and go all the time in Australia and workers shift around accordingly. The live exports industry was only relatively recently established, but it's looking increasingly unsustainable. If it folds it will be unfortunate for those who currently depend on it, but that is inevitable anyway if the industry is unsustainable. I agree that the immediate ban on exports was a knee-jerk reaction that should have had a longer time frame, but you have to acknowledge that the AA campaign has been very effective in terms of its own aims.
Posted by morganzola, Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:10:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy