The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mandatory life term for cop killers

Mandatory life term for cop killers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Murder in any form is heinous and attracts a long sentence, which is typically subject to parole after a period.

Killing a policeman is not generally an isolated crime. Killing a policeman deliberately is usually to avoid arrest for another serious crime such as murder, drugs etc, and the killing of the policeman is a calculated attempt to avoid a long jail sentence by risking a longer one.

If the consequence of murdering a policeman is life without parole, the risk the crook is taking is much greater, and the incentive to kill to escape is reduced, and the life of the policeman, whose duty is to protect the rest of us is a little safer.

While I am not a particular advocate of mandatory life sentences, I do believe in strong deterrents for killing policemen that cannot be waived by a soft judge.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 4:42:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Murder of that police man was an act by evil men.
I would have supported the death penalty with out pain.
But it seems we are getting two different concerns mixed up.
First very poor Judges/Magistrates exist under every form of government.
I suspect also both forms actually drive softness in courts.
To keep prisons manageable.
Both no measure of law and order.
But we should not forget no plan to give life sentencing to child Murderers, exists.
A problem with a public that believes solidly court rulings are wrong will not be fixed by mandatory sentencing for one crime.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 5:23:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< You might need to look up the term "murder" by legal definition, Ludwig. You can't accidentally murder someone. >>

I wouldn’t be so sure about that, StG.

You are right in the theoretical sense, but in the real world if the cops want someone to go down for murdering a police officer, then they’ll probably go down, even if it was accidental.

Thinker 2 makes a very good point:

<< …police are excellent manipulators of the legal system…>>

So in a practical sense, you can indeed accidentally murder someone.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 8:21:15 AM
...The killing of David Carthy was a particularly vicious event. He was confronted by a gang of youths at the rear of the hotel; early in the mallei he was stabbed in the heart, but did not die instantly. While lying on the ground, he had his nose and one ear cut off, and an attempt was made to scalp him.( A transverse cut was made around his scalp).

... While dying on the ground from loss of blood, the gang continued to bash and kick him to death, with the assistance of additional friends recruited from the bar inside the hotel.

...He was wearing partial uniform at the time, and was off duty and drinking with colleagues after work and late at night
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 8:42:51 AM
Yes diver Dan, why are any of those sill alive?
Having once had a few beers there it was not always the place of evil it was that night.
Never forget them never forgive either.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 1:01:11 PM
Since my retirement I must admit I'm well out of touch with crime, even crimes of violence perpetrated against police.

It would seem prima facie the facts surrounding the death of CARTHY (an off-duty copper) sound heinous indeed.

From what I've heard from some of my former colleagues, violence occasioned against the person seems to be worsening.

Why, I believe it's because of the apparent leniency metered out by many of those 'soft souls' on the bench ?

It would appear also, there's been many more instances of (serious) cruelty against animals - and we've been informed by thoses who know, there's a direct causal link of cruelty, to that of violence against people.

It would seem our western society is simply breaking down. Irretrievably me thinks ?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 5:12:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy