The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mandatory life term for cop killers

Mandatory life term for cop killers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Ludwig,

Firstly innocent people are not jailed.

Secondly the mandatory sentence is for murder, not manslaughter. The requirements for murder are that there was a deliberate intent to kill or harm the person.

Please get your facts straight before posting.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 23 May 2011 11:48:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Judges Magistrates, can be and more often than not are out of touch with the rest of us.
We all know of criminals going free who should be in side.
NSW has had one who openly sides with those abusing police.
But with a 25 year minimum already in place this is nothing but populism in action.
In 25 years from now, it may be some one leading Big Barry's party who wants to let a prisoner free who has committed this crime.
Our Police are not to be targeted but lets be honest this will not save one life.
I suspect more would support it if it was proved it would stop one death.
If NSW wants to toughen up lets see very much longer prison terms for this states growing Celebrity drug dealers.
And Equally star like Celebrity Criminals, free to shoot up each other and our suburbs.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 May 2011 12:04:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear oh dear Shadow Minister!

Innocent people DO get jailed, given life sentences and death sentences! This has been shown to be the case time and time again in the USA and elsewhere, by way of DNA evidence.

Please live up to your own expectations and get your facts straight before posting.

Secondly, it often takes a detailed examination of all the evidence to determine whether a death was the result of murder or manslaughter.

But where it concerns the death of a police officer, there would be a strong propensity to think the worst of the offender, or accused. Rather than it being a case of innocent until proven guilty, it would very much be the other way around.

If anything, an unintelligent mandatory life term law is only going to make this worse.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 23 May 2011 12:47:36 PM
Dear Ludwig,

I totally agree with you. Passing legislation that would entail mandatory life terms for killing police officers goes against the assumption that currently stands - that we're all equal under the law.
Each case needs to be looked at - individually - depending on the circumstances involved. As we've seen in past cases there have been many incidents where the action of police officers themselves - needed to be scrutinised. Where their lack of training resulted in
tragic outcomes that should/could have been avoided. Police officers
should not be above the law - they should also be held accoutable for their actions like the rest of society - and putting laws like these
into place - is almost like giving them a blank cheque - no accountability for their behaviour.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 23 May 2011 2:13:19 PM
Me too Ludwig.
We all know law and order is a tool often used in politics.
This is such a tool.
My state needs and end to very many awful people walking away free from our courts, because they are Celebrity's.
Or seen to be from under privileged back grounds.
I value police very highly, we can never bring back brave young men and women.
But doing this, with out freedom to change our minds is not law and order.
The very right in this NSW government has too much control.
I a Labor member am not yet willing to kick Barry, but he is starting to fray so very early on some issues.
Who would have thought it, but the shamed ALP is assured of making big inroads in the next election.
A good number Barry have become one termer's just based on two early actions, this is one and solar, not the reason, but for the promise broken, is worth ten seats.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 May 2011 3:49:27 PM
As a retired Det Sgt. I applaud any proposal to toughen sentencing for killers of police.

Why make it exclusively for violent crimes against police per se. ?
What about other victims of capital crime.

All life is precious, and in my view unless there's significant mitigation, all capital crime should attract mandatory life.

Someone herein referred to weak Justices dispensing even weaker penalties in serious crimes of violence - well, like it or lump it, that's what happens when you have a Labour Govt. in power. They appoint 'socially correct' members of the judiciary, and the rest is history.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 23 May 2011 5:31:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy