The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > You are so out of touch Mr Swan

You are so out of touch Mr Swan

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Thank You Ammonite and Flo. I've come across another comment on the web that struck a cord with me (and many other readers - judging from their comments) it was:

"Obviously the Opposition leader has decided to maximise his advantage on "economic management," by invoking the "Howard Golden Age" and avoid commiting himself to anything substantive on economic policy in the here and now. As a political tactic its clearly designed to - 1) keep the focus on the government. 2) Change the subject without addressing the questions posed about savings. 3) Maintain the constant election frenzy Abbott likes to conjure up.

All smoke and mirrors really. Sad.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 14 May 2011 3:20:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Lady's I liked and agreed with those posts every word.
As many know I live the subject always have.
And in 1975 saw much of what is taking place today.
That year and the two before saw the ALP seemed to forget its actions did not help the uncommitted vote for them.
Much of the media campaign then and now, was biased toward conservatives and headlines lied.
They do this morning.
Every paper even the ABC web site runs this constructed lie.
Gillards refugee policy in taters as another boat arrives.
Clearly a lie, that boat had to have left before the policy was announced and it is clear its occupants are not being let in.
While Labor is head and shoulders above Abbott be warned he is not going to lead at the next election,if we run our term.
And those 12% we call swinging voters need to see us get better,Turnbull will test us.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 15 May 2011 6:07:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
actually it deserves noting here
bellies redirection

that two billion cost of boat people imprisoning

seems a certain selective tender is cleaning up from both ends
as happens..when these things dont go out to tender
[i note that prison system..is cashed up enough to be in other policing stuff[ike transporting prisoners

hiring ex prison guards
treating refugees as criminals
and eventually..us aas the same mindset

people dont go insane of holiday
but this incarceration service
seems to be milking the teat of medical costs too hard

its not cost affective
how are boat people any different from jet people
except they got a visa...and thus got power or money
seems the poor get special treatment..

and those who do get in..
made slaves..[how many pay up front]
how many by iou

fact is we dont know
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 15 May 2011 8:18:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby, you of all people should know there is a difference between gross and net margins.

Now while our gross margins are much higher, or net margins are much lower.

This is mainly due to the increases in costs associated with running a business and, if these costs continue to rise, without a similar rise to the owners profits, then may small businesses will fail, along with thousands of jobs.

The consumer is constantly seeking that 'better deal' but the end result will no doubt out strip the net savings.

You see we retailers have to fight over what I call the 'left overs', that's the money left after paying the fixed bills.

This is why the industry is doomed for small players.

Won't bother me as I am at the end of my butchering stint. I also have my tree farm to support me. Posts have increased by some 120% in just under six years and I have about 20 years supply or more.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 15 May 2011 9:03:44 PM
*This is mainly due to the increases in costs associated with running a business*

Absolutaly, this is why I think that the high cost Westfield model
which made the Lowys so rich, is not going to work as the game
changes. The internet coupled with a massive increase in supermarket
competition will see to that. When Coles was asleep for twenty
five years, it did not matter. Now you have the new management,
in the process of creating another Tescos. How will small retailers
pay those high rents?

The internet is playing a huge role too. People shopping online
in Australia has doubled in the last year. Whole new business models
are emerging, to give consumers a better deal, which means a more
efficient pipeline from producer to consumer, cutting out costs
and middlemen all along the way.

I know, I use them, as in the country shopping is limited. But it
also shows me the trend. Its the reason why people like James
Packer has ploughed money into Deals Direct and others. They don't
pay those high rents and don't have those high advertising costs
either.

In places like New York, one upstart online company went from nothing
to 300 million $ worth of foodstuffs and meal solutions home delivered
around New York. That includes fresh meat, fish, fruit, veggies,
bread, the lot in one delivery. The same will happen here down
the track.

So IMHO, as supermarkets become more aggressive and online takes
more of the dollar, high cost Westfield type stores will struggle
in the future.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 15 May 2011 10:49:52 PM
>>which means a more
efficient pipeline from producer to consumer, cutting out costs
and middlemen all along the way.

Yes Yabby, but you forgot to say (and jobs)

I for one am somewhat opposed to online shopping, simply because it costs jobs, and that is something that we as a nation can ill afford, despite the best efforts of our government and their insistence that we are flying high.

Now as for the likes of westfield, and other centres, well, they are in for a major shake up as they will either have to demolish their land for some other purpose, or, slash their rents because for the big traders to survive, they rely on the higher rents paid by the small traders.

Currently there are three levels of traders. Majors, mini majors and small operators.

The majors are the draw card and pay much less rent and costs, the mini's a bit more and the small ones heaps more.

They all need each other to survive.

It's the annual increases, generally 4 to 6% which are built in to almost every lease that are the killers because our profits don't increase by that margin.

I think the Aldi 'stand alone' model will be your coles/wollies of the future. Only trouble is, the returns are not there for the investor/land owner so it may mean that the big guys will have to invest in their own land.

This then has the potential for a 'white elephant' effect, especially as online shopping demands increase, as the last thing shareholders want is assets that tie up capital with little return.

Either way, the end is coming for today's model.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 16 May 2011 6:21:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy