The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NBN suspends tender due to price concerns

NBN suspends tender due to price concerns

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Shadow Minister,

Did you really read the link I provided? It clarifies quite a few things. However, I sense that it's not a question of "my doing better," it's a question of your inability to accept anything that differs from your party line. That clearly points to a political career.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 11:00:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi. the link you provided was not really relevant to the discussion
we were having here.
Re Korea, what you may not be aware of is that Korea is a gamers
paradise. It is really a big industry and vocation there.

However I do not think that is a factor that we should be considering here.
My contention is that everything that we want to do with the NBN
could have been done by getting fibre into every town and then adsl+2
to every premises in those towns.
For the nearby areas Wimax could serve up to 70 to 100km radius area.
Outside that satellite is about the only alternative.

Steven Conway showed his total ignorance on the subject when he tried
to poo hoo a Wimax type solution when he said the further the range
the slower the data speed.
He is just trying to blind side the public by regurgitating phrases
he has picked up from others.

The only medical application I can see that would need 100Mbit data
rates would be operating theatre remote operations, where feedback
from movements of instruments would need to be fed back to the remote
surgeon. That could be catered for if any surgeon was game enough to
do it, by running fibre to that hospital from the local exchange.

However that is a diversion, we need much more urgently a refurbishment
of the railway system. We have only a few years to get started on the
triplication and other improvements to the freight network.
Then we can seriously start to get freight off the roads and onto rail.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 11:37:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Bazz,

As I've stated on many occassions - I don't pretend to have all the answers however, I don't believe in condemning something prior to giving it a go. Everything costs these days - but if it's something that's worth doing - it should be given a chance. From what I gather the NBN will help a lot of people. The following website lists who,
and possibly how:

http://nationalbroadbandnetwork.net.au/2010/12/telehealth-trials-for-nbn-sites-armidale-and-kiama/

The previous link that I gave wasn't only about Korea - you should have finished reading it in its entirety. Anyway, I'm done arguing on this subject. We'll have to simply agree to disagree on this one
Bazz.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 2:17:51 PM
Lexi;
I just read that link. There is nothing there that was not covered in my previous comments.
Patient monitoring is a low data rate function, it is done in less than
3khz bandwidth.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 3:29:07 PM
Lexi,

What do either of those pieces clarify? What is the % take up in Tasmania, what % take the 100Mb/s option. None of that is here. More than we expected is what? Given that the NBN's viability is wafer thin and based on a 70% or greater take up of internet services, thi

It is blindingly clear that is that you have no idea of what is required to provide these medical services that labor trumpets.

100kb/s is sufficient for a video teleconference with good sound and basic quality video, 1Mb/s gives superb quality, and 8Mb/s can stream HD video both directions, so every thing that is in the telehealth link is possible now with ASDL or in the bush with upgraded wireless.

The NBN at a total cost to the tax payer of more than $50bn or $10 000 per house hold is not something you "give a chance" on a whim.

The people that have to pay it off are the internet users of the future, i.e. this is a bill we hand to our kids.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 3:34:24 PM
Dear Bazz and Shadow Minister,

In the 19th Century people were happy to get around in a horse and cart and then railways were introduced and people moved a lot faster.
It connected towns. It moved goods and trade. Of course people had to pay for it. And, then we had aeroplanes and things moved faster still and cost more. Of course, some people would still be happy with a horse and cart today. Does that explain the development of NBN? If you're happy with two cans and a piece of string - you don't need a
telephone. If you're happy with a pigeon delivering mail, you don't
need Broadband. It's all relative to the function and the needs of the industry, the services, education, and in your case - politics.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 4:30:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy