The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead.'

'There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Any statement made by a candidate for office has to be understood to be subject to alteration , in the circumstances which prevail after the election . In a democracy , no MP , even the Prime Minister , can pass legislation unless the majority in Parliament approve it . The word "promise " in the context of an election can be no more than a promise to try to obtain a legislative majority to do what is proposed to be done .

If candidates wish to be immune from the carping criticism which is now being made , they will have to qualify every statement by saying that it is subject to there being a legislative majority at the relevant time and providing that exceptional circumstances do not occur that require a change from what was proposed . If that course is followed , the critics will complain that the candidate is not being categorical enough .
Posted by jaylex, Monday, 28 February 2011 10:44:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Israel's prime minister (1963-1969), Levy Eshkol, is most known for his saying:

"Sure I promised, but did I promise to keep my promise?"
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 28 February 2011 11:12:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen there is nothing 'rightie' or 'leftie' about lying. It happens on both sides. Regardless of political stance, lying is lying, Howard lied, now Julia lied. We keep bringing it up because it is hypocritical to imply their lies are okay and another's is not okay. Simple.

How is Howard's lie any more justifiable than Julia's. That is the problem with politics, people take a personal affront when their side of politics plays up and people call them on it.

We should all by calling them on it, regardless of where we sit on the ideological spectrum. I suspect on both sides of politics in Australia people are heartily fed up with bottom dwelling and sensationalist politics. The Coalition really needs to shape up as well and call the government on real travesties not every time a new policy is forwarded.

Opposition for the sake of it is not calling the government to account and little boys calling wolf too many times means the important stuff is missed. The Opposition needs to 'professionalise' (yes I made that word up) and become a truly relevant Opposition that really does call the government to account.

So far, Coaltion playground antics just makes it a mockery. Brandis and Abetz's performance in the Senate today was a good example, but Senator Evans (ALP) was not much better himself with rehashing the tired old game plays ad infinitum.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 28 February 2011 3:11:31 PM
Hasbeen mate I would not be you if you are Australia's richest man.
I noted your self assessment, do not agree.
You appear more fixed and just a little bigoted but that comes from lack of understanding, education is wasted on some.
In the post above mine deep truth lives we are being lead by second class people on both sides.
Just maybe we are seeing something I truly fear, the birth of a schism a split from fair go mate to just hate the other side,, for being different.
Thankfully there are few like you.
And if I posted the very reverse of your post, come be honest it is a sign of manhood.
What you said about me say it was the other way around would you say the same.
Hasbeen you need to understand your fan club needs your attention.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 28 February 2011 6:10:54 PM
They ALL do it.

Want proof? Here it is.

PM Howard, "Suggestions I have left open the possibility of a GST are wrong. A GST or anything resembling it is no longer Coalition policy. Nor will it be policy at any time in the future. It is completely off the political agenda in Australia".

Later that same day when Mr Howard was asked, "Have you left the door open for a GST?" he replied, "No, there's no way a GST will ever be a part of our policy". He was then asked, "Never ever?" and replied, "Never ever. It's dead. It was killed by the voters at the last election".

PM Howard then brought in the GST.

The Coalition has no moral high ground when it comes to Prime Ministerial lying.
Posted by Joanme, Tuesday, 1 March 2011 12:38:11 AM
Welcome Joanme I hope you stay a long time.
In time you will come to understand, for a very few, truth has no meaning.
Not saying they lie.
Just that,like some on my side only the faults of the other side matter.
I know Gillard back flipped, but also that we had a mandate from 07 for an ETS.
I think of Rudd and her still AS GUTLESS for not going on with it.
But Joan silly as it sounds in an open forum, just a few here will never budge, an earth quake could not move them.
To understand the devisions being built by dysfunctional politics right now, this country is building future trouble on wrong directions and wrong leadership
I ask the real Liberals,those who remember their party's history, to re look at your founder, no mate of mine but in the words of Sir Robert Menzies you will find greatness compared with todays leader ship.
I claim no sainthood for my current or immediate past leadership just disappointment.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 1 March 2011 5:31:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All