The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Drunken louts on our streets, could this help.

Drunken louts on our streets, could this help.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
This could help; 10PM closing times and stiff fines for anyone found drunk in a public place. $500.95 seems a good set fine and going up for second and subsequent offences by percentages of last financial year's taxable income; say 5% then 10% then 20% and so on.
I don't give a cuss for drinkers' and publicans' etc., rights.

Any so called rights that the consumers and purveyors of spiritous grog may have are over-ridden by the rights of ordinary citizens to go about their business without hindrance and this includes having to step around 'Saturday Night chucks' on the footpaths on any morning of the week.
The Government likes excessive drinking and drunks because it increases revenue and, having created the situation, they can then be seen to be 'doing something' by increasing the police force.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 14 February 2011 1:17:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
loutish brawling here brings heavy fines and banned from nightclubs for a time, determined by a judge. Their photograph is supplied to venues and if these people are found on a premis; the venue is the culprit.
To be drunk on a town street gets you accommodation at the local constabulary, at the police pleasure. ladies and gents in together.
Venues are by law not allowed to serve intoxicated persons, this means .05 and your out.
Posted by a597, Monday, 14 February 2011 2:49:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
a597:

...Where is "here" a597? I subscribe to that system. Does it translate into less public drunkenness?
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 14 February 2011 4:12:46 PM
Watch the NT opposition commercials on this subject, they're on every night. They make a lot of sense, well to sensible people anyway.
Posted by individual, Monday, 14 February 2011 7:12:09 PM
"""
the venue must test them to make sure they are under the limit
"""

I'm surprised at you, rehctub? I would have thought you'd not be the type to put more pressure on local business to compensate for the incompetency of our government and police force. It was government that allowed the establishments to remain open to the late/early hours they do. It is also government that made the rule/law, drunk and disorderly that they fail to uphold through the lack of police on the street. Why then should a publican be lumbered with the job that we already pay our taxes for?
Posted by RawMustard, Monday, 14 February 2011 7:29:15 PM
I think, perhaps, a stiff fine for the venue that served the last drink to a person who finds him/herself in trouble with the constabulary during a night on the turps. I'm aware that people do a fair bit of pub crawling (here in Townsville, almost the entire nightlife is crammed onto one side of one street). The reality is, though, that venues are required to serve alcohol responsibly. Their security guards are required to reject intoxicated people, and their bar staff are required to cut people off when they're too full.

Sadly, as rehctub notes, their solution is to turf people out onto the street when they're too charged up, making them someone else's problem. How ready to turf people out would they be if the drunken lout copped a night in the watchhouse and a slap on the wrist while they copped a $10,000 (or more) fine? It would certainly hammer home whose problem it actually is.
Posted by Otokonoko, Monday, 14 February 2011 7:40:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy