The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Drunken louts on our streets, could this help.

Drunken louts on our streets, could this help.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
What else could you possibly have meant by "Don't drink too much in the first place ? agree, but in most establishments now you have AC and you don't realise how far you're gone until you step outside"? I'd love to understand what you meant by this, because it sounds to me like an excuse for people who inadvertently drink more than they should.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 19 February 2011 10:22:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Otokonoko,
inatvertently yes, excuse no. That's where the law does not distinguish between a moron drinker who deliberately goes to get blotto & the occasional social drinker who happens to tip the scales by a smidgeon.
As far as the drunken louts on the streets are concerned we don't seem to see any effort to reduce their numbers, do we ? If there is a major brawl we close the premises rather than remove the louts. It's always the symptom that gets attention, never the cause. That mentality is the cause for my constant push for National non-military Service. we can not expect to lessen the number of moron lout drinkers if no-one shows them another way. The law doesn't give them this opportunity but affords them to get blotto first before some feeble attempts to stop the louts without hurting their feelings. It doesn't appear to bother the law too much that meanwhile more young people are going down the same one way street. Give them an alternative by providing alternatives. In my view drinking too much is the drinkers responsibility & offering non-drinking alternatives is the responsibility of the law.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 February 2011 11:02:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I certainly agree with you there. What sort of national service do you have in mind? I'm glad you said 'non-military', as it has been my experience that - despite the wonderful things they do in their working lives - it's often the military types who cause the most drunken trouble on the streets of Townsville. Still, they have a sense of responsibility and, usually, a fear of discipline that could be used elsewhere.

Perhaps it's the freedom we have during our youth - and the freedom that some people never grow out of - that causes such misbehaviour. Knowing that you can get drunk, smash a few windows and beat up a few people on the weekend without worrying too much about consequences may well be the cause of so much mischief in our society.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 19 February 2011 1:23:45 PM
Perhaps it's the freedom we have during our youth - and the freedom that some people never grow out of - that causes such misbehaviour. Knowing that you can get drunk, smash a few windows and beat up a few people on the weekend without worrying too much about consequences may well be the cause of so much mischief in our society.
Otokonoko,
You summed it up nicely. Shame the academic social experts who can not see this are always consulted by authorities, never the people who know.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 February 2011 2:26:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy