The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Small business operator - QLD

Small business operator - QLD

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Unionists as do 99% Public Servants, view responsibility for Superannuation as being the employers'. Superannuation should be optional as a voluntary contribution over & above the pension. In a so-called civilised western democracy an above breadline pension must be available to every retiree, no if's or but's. There is sufficient money in the coffers. It just needs to be distirbuted fairly and for that we need fair-minded authorities. The present system is so out of balance it belies belief. If Governments want the public to contribute more than Governments need to come up with the competence to run a healthy economy which in turn enables the public to contribute more.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 22 January 2011 8:30:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic...I have 'experienced' working with hundreds of employers across the Nation Antiseptic as a 'Contractor' in both private enterprise and in government.

Your life as a businessman differs greatly from mine as an employee, let me assure you.

There are some right royal crooked businessmen and Managers across Australia [as there are honest and fair], however the shifty dishonest and fraudulently behaved businessmen, women and managers who attempted on the second occasions not to pay my contract wages, breaking the law; received the flick. They do not receive my fantastic services again.

I decided three years ago to be more careful with my contracting choices.
Posted by we are unique, Saturday, 22 January 2011 9:11:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
we are unique:"Your life as a businessman differs greatly from mine as an employee, let me assure you."

Most of my working life has been spent as an employee. I have been self-employed since 2000, not initially by my own choice. I've worked in retail, construction, hospitality and engineering. I've had good bosses and bad, but I've never had a boss who outright abused me by failing to pay what was owed. I've had some quibble to the last cent, which irritated me no end at the time, but was hard to argue with.

There are two memorable "bad" bosses I have had, neither of whom lasted in business. One was a German chap who had a small chain of shops selling electronic goods. He was of Prussian heritage and very stiff and correct until he lost his temper, which was frequent. He paid correctly, but not as much as I thought I was worth, so I left.

The other was in the soil testing game. This particular boss's problem was that he used to give very vague instructions then get angry when the employees didn't do as he claimed to have wished. One employee memorably dumped the contents of several concrete sampling buckets into that boss's vehicle before announcing he was quitting. I myself deleted all the records of my work from the computers the day before I quit. Others made their displeasure felt in other ways. The business didn't last more than a few years.

The point, of course, is that I do understand there are bad employers, but few businesses thrive when run by such people. In my experience, the good outweight the bad by a very, very long margin, at least in small business, where the management ahs a direct personal stake in the business doing well.

Either way, paying over 40% on top of wages for the privilege of employing someone means that there is less incentive to employ. Speaking for myself, I'd rather have a job than not.
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 23 January 2011 6:50:11 AM
From my early experiences in Europe & then Australia I can only say that those who perpetually run down private enterprise belong to a group of unemployables & non-performers. As anyone will tell you if an employer has a good employee then it is in his own best interest to treat the employee well. Bad employers don't in general last very long unless you have a Government which doesn't run an effective economy so people are forced to accept positions in which they get exploited. An employer can only be generous when the economy allows him to be. Again, it's up to Government ensure a healthy economy so that employers don't have to take harsh measures which are more often than not simply not understood by many employees.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 23 January 2011 12:27:40 PM
Individual

Could lead by example and

Quit his council job
Posted by Shintaro, Sunday, 23 January 2011 2:20:21 PM
Person with no life
pretends to be
someone else
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 23 January 2011 3:31:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy