The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Australian Book of Atheism

The Australian Book of Atheism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All
I would be very careful to say only Christians are child molesters it is people who are not just Christians. I do not think the destruction of religion is a good thing it feels that it is full of hatred when mentioned like that. Without religion what would atheists be called? It would be good if people could be more tolerant of other peoples beliefs be them atheist or of a religious affiliation.
We all have to live on the planet and having a go at someone just because of them being part of a religion is not good just the same as it is having a go at someone who is non religious or an atheist. Find some common ground, I am sure there is some.

This book has been written for people who are interested in Atheism specifically Australian Atheism. I cant see anyone reading this book and having a life altering change of mind in what they do or do not believe in. If you have read the book and disagree with what has been written then that is another matter.
Posted by gothesca, Monday, 13 December 2010 3:37:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So the Christians are coming out of their crazy states and making silly statements about a Christ who never existed.

For your information Jesus was based on the Egyptian God Horus who was born of the "Virgin" Isis.

The Bible is a very poor plariarism of Egyptian Astrotheology. Where do you think the Ten Commandments came from? The 42 Negative Confessions in the Egyptian Book of the Dead. There are inscriptions from the Book of the Dead in most Egyptian Tombs.

The "Holy" Bible was not written before 700BCE and was written by persons unknown and copied over and over again and poorly redacted and mistranslated. There are no extant original Manuscripts. What now constitutes the Bible was decided starting at the Council of Nicea 325CE when the Roman Catholic Church was founded by Constantine I as the official Religion of the Roman Empire for political purposes.
Posted by Eccles64, Monday, 13 December 2010 3:41:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To all lovers of God,

Atheism is not an enemy.

Just as God Himself does not sit there biting His nails, "what shall I do about those children of mine who deny my existence?", neither should you!

Religion is the path of coming closer to, and ultimately uniting with, God. Since God is not an idea or a belief, no ideas or beliefs can stand in the way of coming closer to the actuality of God, including the atheistic ideas. If one's favourite mantra is "God does not exist", then let them use that mantra, as a way of purifying out false notions of God, mental notions of gods that indeed do not exist anyway!

For many of us, atheism is an important and necessary stage on our path towards God. Let us then not ask others to relinquish it and try to skip over that stage. God's love is ever present and the use of logic is good, the sharpening of the sword of the mind is great. There comes a time when one naturally relinquishes that sword and surrenders it over to God, but let it ripe for each individual in their own good time. Let us not forget that those who believe in God, even those who preach in the name of God, also fail and use their minds in many fantastic ways to avoid Him, just as the ones who do not believe.

No words can describe God.
God is not even bound by existence or non-existence.
God's grace can fall on any one, whether they use the "correct" words or not.
Access to God is gained not by the mind, but by the purity of heart, and God alone knows what truly goes on in a man's heart.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 13 December 2010 4:12:54 PM
Thanks Yuyutsu, you write some interesting things. You write
'Access to God is gained not by the mind, but by the purity of heart, '
How do you suggest a heart becomes pure without Christ? I really would like to know your answer.
Posted by runner, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:15:52 PM
Dear Runner,

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Some children of God may not know mathematics, some are even unable to do simple sums.
Some children of God have no idea of geography, or astronomy,
Some children of God know not their history,
Some may not even know that Jesus ever lived.

Does it matter?

Read the above - does it say anywhere: "blessed are the mathematicians", "blessed are those who read the bible" or "blessed are those who believe in the correct narrative"?

Yet some, like Albert Einstein, acquired their religiosity through mathematics, that was their particular gate to God.
Others achieved humility by looking at the stars.
Others found the living Christ in the eyes of a starving African child, whom they served.
I personally find music as the best means of purifying the heart, but then others are not so musical, so they have their alternatives.

No doubt, knowing that it is possible to return and be one with God, knowing that somebody back in history has actually made it while alive, is inspiring and encouraging, it helps us to persevere through the darkest moments, and it is indeed helpful to follow the wise teachings of someone who made it.

The key to God is not in holding onto some intellectual concept or narrative, be it correct or otherwise - the key to God is described straight above, as recounted by Matthew. For obtaining that key, intellectual concepts and narratives are of use to some, while other means are available to others. No sheep is left unattended.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 13 December 2010 11:34:12 PM
Dear Eccles...

honestly, you need to read more.

You made a number of very 'firm' assertions as if they were fact.

This might comfort you and pander to your own biases, but as for them being 'truth' ? sorry to say, all you did was underline how little you know about the Bible and it's surrounding history, archeology and content.

I feel sorry for you, because you are denying yourself the greatest experience a human can have.

Galatians 5:1
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 6:08:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All