The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is a false accusation of rape as bad as being raped?

Is a false accusation of rape as bad as being raped?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. 30
  13. All
ronnie, a much more reasonable post that the one on the "Newsworthy Rape" thread.

I think I made my objections to a lack of evidence being cause for a jail sentence (or other punishments) fairly clear.

I'd like to see equivalent punishments where a deliberate false acusation is proven but I suspect that would be a very rare ocurrance. Rather I'd like to see a shift in what appears to be an acceptance that false allegations are some kind of legitimate tool to get at somebody. I guess you think that won't happen, I have a different view. It's currently hard to prove either way.

You may notice that the links I post are not generally to mens sites, I go to government or university sites where I can. Exception are when I want a specific piece of text (or to give credit to a source such as at the start of this thread). I generally express reservations if I hold them - did you notice comments I have made elsewhere about Farrells writing?

Have a check of the articles I referenced in my post http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=416#8099
- mens sites?

I strongly believe that false accusations can be just as harmful as rapes (depending on the severity of the rape and the resources the person has to deal with either). As to the frequency of false accusations and other issues I'm still trying to work through the spin to understand the issue.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 7:22:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good thread R0bert. Although I will not do it justice, I do have a burning desire to clarify one thing: false accusations ARE always more serious than the real rape, for the very obvious reason that the real rape did not occur.

OK, while I’m at it there is one more thing: Ronnie is turning out to be quite enigmatic – he is either a victim of rape, has had someone close to him get raped, is a professional defender of rape victims, or is after all, a she. If none of the above, then one very sorry dude – perhaps even a reformed rapist himself.

Give us some background Mr Peters, we’re all dying to know …
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 10:05:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, RObert. These figures show that false accusations occur much more than I thought.

I fully agree that in case of strong evidence of a false accusation, there should be a jail sentence and as I said in a previous post, the accuser should financially make up the victim’s losses as well.

A genuine rape, when the rapist who has been accused, is, in turn, accusing the rape victim of lying and denying that he raped the victim, should pay for the rape AND the false accusation that she made up the rape.
So he should not only have to pay for the rape, but also for accusing her of making it up.

That way, everyone will get what they deserve:
A rapist should be punished for the rape.
If he’s accusing the victim of falsely accusing him and it is later found that HE was lying, he should be punished for that as well as for the rape. Double crimes mean double punishments.
A person who falsely accuses someone of raping her/him (men do rape men as well!) should be punished.

All of these crimes are very serious and should appropriately be punished.

Victims that are out of pocked because of rape or false accusations should be ‘reimbursed’ by the perpetrator, which is an appropriate punishment for criminals like this.
Plus, all of them deserve a jail sentence, depending on the severity of the individual cases.

Ronnie, in my opinion RObert is one of the men on the OLO forums who is very reasonable, fair and balanced when it comes to sexual equality issues.

For example, a while ago there was a discussion about discrimination of women in Cambodia (Titled "Women should always obey their husbands") where he showed to be the ONLY man in that discussion who cared to speak out in favour of the women of Cambodia.
I haven’t been a poster for a very long time and I don’t make many posts, but I have come to respect RObert for his overall fairness and unbiasedness (if that’s a word) including the information he posts.
Posted by Celivia, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 10:06:52 PM
Robert no one wants a victim of rape or a fasle claim to suffer either
However in both rape and false claims evedence must prove guilt first.
It must be said false claims are growing young girls have admited false claims against fathers to help in a war between parents.
Such young girls without later admissions would have forever distroyed a father.
In a dreadfull case the admition came after the father was found hanging and dead
False claims are a crime equale to the crime its self.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 February 2007 2:33:02 PM
Celivia, thanks for your words of support. Somehow ronnie and I seem to have got stuck in an ugly spot on gender violence discussions which I find both sad and frustrating.

In regard to the frequency I really don't know the answer, I've seen articles suggesting that women have no reason to make up false allegations and others outlining a number of reasons why they do.

I think it's one of those issues being "spun" by both sides of the gender wars with the truth lying somewhere in the middle. Independant research appears to be needed.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 15 February 2007 4:00:58 PM
Many years ago now,my 15 year old neighbour was caught in a hotel by her father ,she was bought home and reprimanded.Grounded etc. She went to the police and reported her father raped her . I was horrified he would do such a thing, his daughter would come to me crying and I felt so sorry for her.
He was sentenced to 5 years jail.
After 8 months ,she came to me and told me she lied just to get back at him. I took her to the police station where she told them the truth.
She couldn't be charged because she was a minor,being so long ago (30 years)or so. I have always wondered all these years later, why she wasn't punished.
How easy it is to get back at a male thru' false accusation it seemed.
Posted by patricia22au, Friday, 16 February 2007 10:07:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. 30