The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Globalization and Evolution

Globalization and Evolution

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This city I have been living in.. has thought me so much. Everything happens for a reason. They reason I am here, is to learn, so I understand, so I can do what I need to do in life. I am so thankful to be born Asian. Never have I seen so much selfishness until the last 2 months! It is shocking to me how the humans have evolved. All they think about is themselves.

I was reading some stuff from some other thread on OLO... which seems very true. It was about how we bind ourselves with laws. Being born in a certain country, our parents signed our birth certificate, sealing our fate. As a child, we were not allowed to follow our hearts desire(then would be more about arts, sports, creation, passion for a certain interest). As a child, we were already told what to do, in order to fit into society. If we didn't do what everyone else did, we would be subjected to scorn, negative treatment.

NO ONE, has any right on another life, unless it is your child, your pet, your plant. Thanks to all the believes we have had, people don't even realize that anymore. We allow ourselves to be controlled. Controlled by our parents, our friends, people we care about, media, laws, etc.. the list goes on. The biggest Wars, debate, power struggle we can thank to religion. Something that until now, has only been proven by theories. As I have mentioned before, in each religion, there has been miracles in every religion. I have personally seen some weird stuff happening, not to me, but to religious ppl around me. It all goes back to what we believe.

Have you ever gone through a situation, where you thought to yourself before it happened, that something bad is going to occur, and it did? Same if it was something good. Our brain, controls our body
Posted by jinny, Friday, 8 October 2010 8:06:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
continuation...

Thanks to globalization and evolution, instead of being able to live a simple, stress-free life, we are not able to. The human species stresses about everything. Their future, money, success, being judge, law, parents, social circle, lover, sickness...
I have seen, what stress can do to you. It causes your brain to not function properly. That terrible feeling you have inside of you drags you down, you can't perform, you can't think straight, you can't forget about your issue. Thanks all to globalization.

We are bounded by law to obey. We cannot change the past, we can work to change our future... for our planet, for our children, for the other lifeforms around us. Why should humans be more important then any other life? We are just more intelligent.. that's all... Does not give us any right to destroy out planet...

ps: Thank you Forum Administrator for approving.
Posted by jinny, Friday, 8 October 2010 9:01:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry jinny, I don’t agree. At least with your central thesis.

Evolutionarily speaking, modern life is relatively stress-free, in a physical sense anyway. Our not-too-distant ancestors constantly lived in a state of either near- starvation or quite high physical stress, eg. cold etc. We have evolved to actually cope with this. What I think you are talking about is ‘status anxiety’, which a particular kind of emotional stress.
The problem with a lot of our ‘lifestyle’ diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes is they are actually linked to a lack of physical stress in a lot of cases. Exceptionally high emotional stress can exacerbate these problems and are often confused with the cause.
I’m not sure how globalisation is linked to all whatever you are talking about, but I’m sure it can be linked to a certain ‘status anxiety’ amongst certain people. But most of us aren't bothered by it at all.

Maybe Alain de Botton (http://www.alaindebotton.com/status.asp) would see a link between status anxiety stress and global degradation, at least as much as pertains to the dream of increasing ones relative lifestyle. India and China have now gotten the bug, let’s see what happens.

But I can't really see the direct link between globalisation and our emotional stress levels that you appear to be talking about. Also evolution, what was the link there again?
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 8 October 2010 10:44:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Bugsy,
Your view appears to be a very modern one. Physical stress used to be called work and dealt with the emotional stress. Worry Kills.
Now the world doesn't use physical work but relies on machines to do most manual labor, stress, boredom, obesity, depression, heart disease,
and other stress related diseases have become the norm. Hard work does not kill. Stinken thinken, (worry) kills. If we could only introduce a worry tax then the new world order can shape our very thoughts.
Posted by Richie 10, Saturday, 9 October 2010 1:48:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My command of the English language is not that great as I was brought up speaking a few different languages. I wonder why some like to use bombastic words in forums, to show how intelligent and well educated they are?

Bugsy: Thank you for your view. Appreciated. I don't think you know about how we all started out as one cell. That is the evolution I mean. Do you honestly believe this is how it should be? We as the more powerful species, doing the most damage to the planet? Instead of protecting other lifeforms around us, which should be our number one priority in life, we have let globalization control us. We wake up in the mornings, instead of being able to live our lives, we have to go to work, earn money, in order to be able to lead a comfortable life.

"modern life is relatively stress-free, in a physical sense anyway"
I assume you either live out in the land, or you just do not want to notice the stress in people. I notice a lot of people like to cover up their problems. They try to hide it well, until something drastic happens. Yes, people here are very positive mainly. Most of them are fake positive. They think they cannot change their lives, and live with whatever pain they have to suffer with. Self-denial.

I know exactly what stress does. "India and China have now gotten the bug, let’s see what happens." Treating it like a game... these are lives at hand.. now that is globalization. Thanks to the western cultures that have complicated their once simple life.

Complications, leads to stress.. that's where we live now. A complicated world. I'm not saying it is bad. We are lucky to be able to enjoy every single minute of life. I love life! Just don't understand why most people stress so much about everything! It's not like it's going to change anything...
Posted by jinny, Saturday, 9 October 2010 5:59:57 AM
Hi Jinny.

The stress we're all suffering from at the moment is all part of our evolutionary path, we're on a schedule according to the ancient Maya.

We're all stressed because our minds can't keep up with the pace of life at the moment. We are presently in our global consciousness stage. Through the advent of the internet we have now gained the ability to communicate and experience the lives of other people on a global scale in real time. We are able to feel, recognise and associate with the mind state of people globally and we are having difficulty coming to terms with it.

For example, although we here in Australia have for the time being escaped the financial crises. We are able to see hear and associate with the plight of other people around the world who weren't so fortunate. This has put uncertainty into our minds and causes us stress. Our minds are not capable of digesting all these feelings and emotions fast enough to give us an answer as to our future.

This time will pass as we realise we can't change anything.

conti...
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 9 October 2010 10:46:59 AM
When people become really stressed they have three options to choose from. They can fight that which is causing them stress or they can flight(run away) from the stress. When an animal(human is animal also) can't do one of those two things, we all do a third, we become unconscious or we just do nothing. I feel many of us are at this stage now or entering this stage. We can see it's all out of our control so we can't fight it, we also see that the rest of the world is pretty much the same, so we cant flight it, the next step is to do nothing. Just as a child does when confronted with similar feelings when told they cant have those lollies in the supermarket isle. First they protest a little(fight it), then they run off in disgust(flight it), then when they realise they can't have their way and cant get away because their mother has restrained them what do they do next? They Drop to the floor and won't move, they become unconscious and do nothing.

I also think this is why many countries are experiencing similar to us at present in regard to choosing their leaders. Even one of our own came forward and said vote nobody (vote unconscious) and many did resulting in a hung parliament.

There's a guy by the name of Ian Xel Lungold who has done an in depth talk on video about all of this and how it relates to the Mayan calendar , well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-IkwfAGgg&feature

I don't agree with everything he says, and some things can be way out there. But if you listen to what he says and follow your own intuition(instincts) I think you'll agree, he pretty much hits the nail right on the head!

Interesting topic, have fun :)
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 9 October 2010 10:47:21 AM
Thanks for your opinion RawMustard, I am sad to see you think there is no hope for change. If everyone thought like you, there wouldn't be any leaders, role model, etc. I will definitely watch your video.. make full use of time always. Sleep and boredom can wait for the grave I always say.

There are already so many out there that are trying to make a difference. The ones that are aware and are passionate about saving the environment, the animals, the people.. different groups, working towards the same things... trying to make it better. How many have dedicated their lives saving others? That doctor that went to East Timor to help correct eye-sights? How much difference has he made in this world? I recently met someone who is helping with the logistics of getting all the medical equipment over there. There is always hope. If you want to believe in it. We work on change because we hope we can make a difference.

I studied the Mayan Calender a little, it seems to be 100% accurate for the little research I did(was taking too much of my time so switched). Still.. if the Mayans were right, isn't the world going to end in 2012? Sorry, I'm too passive to believe that. It is proven with different civilization(the Egyptians, the Romans, the Mayans). It's their believes that resulted in all the 'hard-to believe' things happening. How some of them managed to harvest energy naturally..

Our planet started out with water and earth, reaction with the sun's energy created the first cell. Can you explain how humans can go into meditation for months- years.. without intake of water of food. They manage to train their body to absorb the life energy from their surroundings. Medical researchers(being the disbelieving people they are) want to prove that it is not possible?
Posted by jinny, Saturday, 9 October 2010 12:10:24 PM
Jinny you are quite right;

Sadly over the past couple of decades our lives have become more weighed upon by responsibilities and obligations and higher demands, despite the technology to make it simpler;

Why?

Simple- because we allow the people with a say to raise their demands of us with every technological leap (or even without it), and we are also a unique country in that instead of being either paying premium rates for premium rigorous management by competent hard-working administrators of society on our behalf, or low rates and picking up the slack for keeping the gears in society turning ourselves; we pay premium rates for our administrators and governors to sit on their arses all day, and must pay yet more to actually keep things running- thus we are forced to work more to meet financial ends for what we assume as a minimal operational standard to live in this society.

The only ways around it are for more people to re-evaluate how they will live, or for more people to be FAR more politically aware than they are now, and demand either better governance or more direct democracy.
Posted by King Hazza, Saturday, 9 October 2010 2:12:51 PM
""" I am sad to see you think there is no hope for change. """

On the contrary Jinny. I'm sorry if that's how I articulated my thoughts but it's not what I was trying to say.

In our evolutionary progression it will be the next phase where most people will deny the injustices perpetuated on them by our corrupt rulers, just as they did all those thousands of years ago when the roman empire fell.

When we all stop and do nothing, the beast dies because we stop feeding it and humanity will transform into another phase in our evolution, it will be for the better!

Perhaps it all depends on what type of people you associate with or how you're placed in our societal structure whether you see the writing on the wall or not. But now that we have obtained our global consciousness via the advent of real time global communications. We plebs are telling each other how to stop the beast, our numbers are far greater than those at the top who are fighting tooth and nail to maintain their power structure, we will win in the end! More and more are beginning to see this.
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 9 October 2010 2:42:23 PM
Ok RawMustard, let's say we win. Then what?
Posted by Rudy, Saturday, 9 October 2010 3:10:05 PM
interesting topic jinny

you refer
to a thing...we call de-ja-vu

[the feeling of good/bad
going to happen next]

i have had that a few times
but more wrong than right

modern life..gives us too many options
this causes stress
should i buy the big one or the little one
with extra calcium
or the one with the tick

ooops no i should buy australian
hang-on that one is half price
should i go on the net
or read my book
or finnish my homework

did i miss mums birthday

life is now more complicated

in the old days we built a hut
[or often lived in our parents hut]
not work for 15 hours to pay rent
10 hours for water/electicity food

15 hours for the taxman

in the old days
hunter/gathering took about 24 hours
up to 4 hours a day at most

now with globalisation
were working for days just to get the latest mobile phone
and pay the phone bill

anyhow..that must be about my 350/words
cheers
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 9 October 2010 3:27:58 PM
When someone starts quoting the Mayen calendar it's time to keep a straight jacket handy. No science what so ever.
All interpretations are different, and that includes the modern mayans.
The only ones getting anything out of that is the ones pushing their own interpretation;; for a fee ...
Posted by 579, Saturday, 9 October 2010 6:35:34 PM
Many people are stressed because of the breakdown of the family unit. It has nothing to do with the evolution fantasy and everything to do with the sin reality.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 9 October 2010 7:42:24 PM
OK, here goes...

RawMustard: Thank you so much for your youtube link. I watched in an gained more info. Somehow, I already knew most of the things before I researched the Mayan Calender. My senses are that in tuned. I'm sorry I misjudge you. It is difficult when everything is virtual. Because words means different to some people. My apologies.

579: You will forever be negative... only you and your god knows what damage has been done to you in your past that has made you such a judgmental person. I don't think you will ever learn how to accept society as it is. Born in the wrong Era, as I have said before. Not an attack, just feel sorry for you.

King Hazza: Thank you for your support and views since I have joined this forum. I respect and appreciate them. The more I know, the more I understand.

Rudy: Then, you will see.. the changes will happen soon. Yey!!

OUG: Yes, life has gotten a lot more complicated. But I know the secrets. I have learnt to not stress, not feel pain, cure my physical injuries naturally, because I have made my brain believe.

Stress in an emotional and physical state of mind. Once we overcome the brain washing... you will understand as I do.

Everything happens for a reason. Technology did. So I can do what I need to do. As a child, I always questioned myself what my purpose in life was. I only realized it about a month ago. So I will keep working on it. It is a dream... my passion. I love all life, and I want to make the difference.
Posted by jinny, Saturday, 9 October 2010 10:39:49 PM
Dear Jinny (and Buggy)

If we all started out as 'one cell' then nothing really matters any more .. not even if I've just given HIV to some casual sex partner...
or run over some child on the street....or fill my veins witn heroin

Nothing really matters
Anyone can see
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters to me (Queen/Freddie Mercury)

So... globalization and evolution? Does it matter ?

John 3:16
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Sunday, 10 October 2010 6:06:33 AM
Hi Jinny
The stresses that we experience now are due to many factors, not just the effects of globalisation but tied in with Greed and the emphasis on consumption.

I am not sure what you mean by evolution in the context you describe - maybe the idea of the survival of the fittest and natural selection? Natural selection is less a factor because humans continue to combat disease through medicine. Other species may not fare so while human beings have contributed to changes in environments due to economic activity. The security of other plant and animal species is directly connected to our own wellbeing.

Stress is often self-imposed - the need to acquire things, or buy a bigger house etc may keep us slaves to jobs we don't like or lifestyles that provide no spiritual substance (not necessarily religious). Wealth accumuliation is not the most important goal in life and certainly does not make people happier. Although you cannot be happy either if you live in poverty.

People are not all the same and have different needs - the trick is to find what makes you happy, set a plan and work out how you can achieve it even if it means some fiddling around the edges.

The world would certainly be better if we all (individuals, organisations, governments etal) first thought about the consequences and impact on others of decisions, whether it be the greater economic decisions or personal ones.

Humans are naturally altruistic but sometimes other, real or imagined, pressures get in the way of commonsense and compassion. All anyone can do is work at an individual level, with our children, families and the people we meet along the way.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 10 October 2010 7:55:51 AM
Dear jinny You haven't gone by way of religion have you.
I say things as i see it without the frills.
If you beat around the bush, you leave thing open for miss interpretation.
I read somewhere that may next year is when the savior is going to appear. I have marked the date on my callender so i won't forget to remind you.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 10 October 2010 11:03:24 AM
I always wondered what you did in your spare time, Boaz.

>>If we all started out as 'one cell' then nothing really matters any more .. not even if I've just given HIV to some casual sex partner...
or run over some child on the street....or fill my veins witn heroin<<

You really should get a hobby, you know.

But thanks for reminding us of the herculean non-sequiturs that have been your trademark for so long. This has to be amongst the best thereof.

What, in your fertile imagination, is the link between life originating as a single-cell organism, and casual sex, a road accident, and drug abuse?

I am of course aware that you see life as a simply extension of your religious beliefs. But it would help if every so often you would take a moment to explain these, somewhat bizarre, cause-and-effect scenarios that fill your head.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 10 October 2010 12:40:11 PM
ALGOREisRICH: Nothing matters because you do not care. I do. Everything means something, every event, every life, every reaction, everything that has happened to us, happened for a reason. I am able to associate everything that happened. It all happened for a very good reason. If you read my first post, how I got on to this forum, it happened because I needed help and security. Which I am getting now. CSO is helping me so good for me.

pelican: As have mentioned before. We have forgotten our instincts, our "Intuation" thanks to evolution. I have managed to overcome that. So everything has an explanation, everyone has played a role in my life. Medication? I never like doctors. I have a disease that apparently has no cure yet, but I have managed to cure it. Why? Because I know what I know, and I believe it. Also, 2 years ago, I had a lifetime injury. I managed to cure it, I didn't listen to the expensive specialist I was seeing, I did not take any of the load full of medication. After being away for 2 weeks against their advice, they couldn't believe how I had cured. 3 months ago, another lifetime injury.. supposedly can only be fixed by surgery. I didn't believe. Cured myself. The pain is always there, but because my brain does not want to accept it, my body can deal with it.

You see, our medication from docs, actually comes from nature. Antibiotics comes from the ground mainly. Herbs, vitamins, etc.. all from natural things. I have not been under medication since I was a child because my body got immune to it.

Stress.. that word does not comprehend to me anymore. Because I understand.

579: Yes, next year, the changes will happen. I respect religion. But I prioritized believes
Posted by jinny, Sunday, 10 October 2010 2:56:16 PM
Thankyou Jinny- it is actually a relief to have someone who can view our culture subjectively and ask hard questions- even the best among the rest of us are simply so used to the way we do things, we never really stop and wonder why.

And Pericles- I think the link between Boaz's four topics is that he simply doesn't like any of them.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 10 October 2010 5:00:13 PM
Dear Jinny,
There are two choices in life.
1 is random chance which is what is being taught in western education.
2 is intelligent design which most reject. As a result we have stress because we try to turn back time and control our thoughts with will power. The only choices in our mind is what we feed it.Rubbish in rubbish out. My son went to uni studying engineering. All temptations were placed in his path, eg drugs, sex, left & right wing socialism, alcohol, which could have distracted him from his chosen path but his mind had been set on the truth so he never deviated and passed with honors.
Random chance rarely leads to a desired outcome.
Intelligent design always trends upwards regardless of what comes against us. Clear vision and a thirst for knowledge and truth leads to the right path. Seek life abundently for we only have one go. This is not a practice run.
Posted by Richie 10, Monday, 11 October 2010 10:19:39 AM
Sorry Pericles.... I thought it would be obvious.

"I am of course aware that you see life as a simply extension of your religious beliefs."

On the contrary, such things are the logical extension of the 'lack' of religious belief. (not mine...but of the unbeliever)

You've been around the traps enough to know what kind of machievellian antics existentialism leads to.. but just in case you're in doubt.

//The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, posthumously regarded as the father of existentialism,[5][6] maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving his or her own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely,[7][8] in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom.//

Argue if u wish...with Kierkegaard, not me.
But to any clear thinker the obvious direct leap from

Cogito ergo sum...I think therefore I am....

to 'whatever turns me on is fine'

This kind of thinking is not exactly hidden like a needle in a haystack you know.
Without our connection to the Almighty, you are left with this...and
anything else is just shallow sentimentality old son.

Your constant refusal to acknowledge this seems more to emanate from fear of admitting it than anything rational I've seen from you to date. (don't know how else to understand your position)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 11 October 2010 4:21:56 PM
You're going to have to help me out here, Boaz

>>But to any clear thinker the obvious direct leap from Cogito ergo sum...I think therefore I am...to 'whatever turns me on is fine'<<

(thanks for the translation by the way; I would have been lost without it)

I could not for the life of me fathom out the "obvious direct leap" to which you refer.

I did a bit more research, in case I had missed something.

Stanford University, my first port of call in matters philosophical, turned out to be quite confusing.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/descartes-epistemology/

Instead of supporting your view that "Cogito" leads to the view that 'whatever turns me on is fine', it started to head in the exact opposite direction!

"In the final analysis, Descartes thinks he shows that the occurrence of thought depends (ontologically) on the existence of a substantial self — to wit, on the existence of an infinite substance, namely God"

Oh no! What to do?

Boaz tells me that Descartes' aperçu leads to depravity, while the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy says exactly the opposite - that it is a proof of God.

So please forgive my sluggish brain, Boaz.

But for the life of me I cannot see the link you made earlier between life originating as a single-cell organism, and casual sex, a road accident, and drug abuse.

Nor can I divine this latter "obvious direct leap", that you feel is so blindingly self-evident.

Can you point out the "obvious direct leap" that you can see, but Stanford cannot?
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 11 October 2010 5:22:30 PM
Richie 10: Thanks for your input. I know about choices in life. I have chosen the right one.. because.. just put it this way... because I'm full of myself :P
Kids will always be a worry. I try to bring mine up with as much exposure as possible to how the way the world works. I did not have that growing up and had to learn everything the hard way when I eventually got out there. I find it hard to make them understand because of their young minds. I am cultivating it as best as I can. I know how advanced and intelligent they are and I can only hope and pray that they never go through what I have gone through in life. I am lucky I managed to survive it. Yes, lucky because I was strong and now it has made me who I am.
I can only hope, that they will never get hurt.. that they will always know how to be happy, and care free, and hope that they have great life set out for them. I do my job as a single parent the best I can. No one can cause you as much hurt as your own blood and flesh can... I hope they never will.

ALGOREisRICH: I can't believe you are still want to go on. If it's not a positive contribution, why bother? Does it make you feel better as a person? Believing that from your knowledge(which is pretty negative), whatever historical facts you have is correct? Good luck believing that :)

Pericles: I don't have the time to go through your research. I'm sure you are right in your statements. What you studied is just one point of view.. there are so many others out there.

Which/what should you believe? Should you keep believing in the past, religion, proof, research/studies etc.. or... should you believe in yourself?
Posted by jinny, Monday, 11 October 2010 6:26:45 PM
I bet you lot can't wait for the 12 of may next year to come.
What are you going to do on the 13Th.
Make excuses i suppose, thats about all ye can do.
All this is going to do is open the door for scammers.
They are already preaching for a fee, no doubt the fees will get higher.
I suppose you have worked out i don't beleive in any of this crapotoligy.
I am discusted that people are going to be taken for a mithology trip plus stripped of their possecions, all in the name of religion.
I am going to stay with my beliefs thanks.
Posted by 579, Monday, 11 October 2010 7:16:00 PM
the dates you mentioned do not mean anything to me. Your ignorance does. I hope the least your believes give you is a piece of mind. I hope your believes has made you grow as a person. To help others, to be selfless.

Who is paying a fee for what I wonder. The best things in life are free. Unfortunately.. you are such a good example. Even time after times, strangers can tell you off.. but you will never listen. You know better then everyone else.
Posted by jinny, Monday, 11 October 2010 9:49:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy