The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I don't get this boat issue ... or do I?

I don't get this boat issue ... or do I?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
A couple of points Mikk.

Firstly much of the third world is still actively tribal. In Africa
the Bantu debate wether the pygmies are really human and persecute
them. The Xhosas are persecuted by the Zulus, the Blacks are
persecuted by the Arabs. In Afhanistan the Pashtuns persecute the
Hazaras and the Taliban persecute anyone who disagrees with them.
The global list is endless and involves billions.

Now under the UN Convention you only need to have a legitimate fear
of persecution and you will be classed as a refugee if you wish.

Given that its a large part of the human population who would have
a right to claim asylum if they wish, how many millions do you
think we should take?

Australia has set a figure, 13'000 a year. Fair enough. Surely
those should be the most deserving, not the richest who can bribe
their way here? Surely the billion$ that we throw at this, should
be taxpayers money wisely spent to help the most needy?

There is no way that any Govt official can accurately assess who
on a boat is genuine and who is not.

Yet we know from the stream of millions of Mexicans heading for
the USA etc, that economic migration is as much a drawcard as
anything. People risk their lives and die for a richer and
better lifestyle.

The only people who we know are genuine refugees are those
in refugee camps, or they would not be there.

Rather then waste the huge amount of resources on such a few
individuals as we do, its time we updated the UN Convention
and the handling of asylum seekers. The present system is
simply not working as it was intended to
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 28 August 2010 2:08:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we had 2,000 Taliban coming in fishing boats to our northern borders; since Australia is at war with them. Would we not want to know who they are and detain them for health and security checks?
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 28 August 2010 6:57:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<Your attitude is in some danger of becoming outdated, Horus>>
<< Being a miserly dog-in-the-manger, and muttering mealy-mouthed complaints about not being obligated, might soon go out of fashion entirely>>

Not at all Pericles, my “attitude” ( if one takes account of the whole post & context ) is highly likely to becoming the norm as more wake up to how unworkable the UN refugee convention is.

And to characterise it as “dog-in-the manger” is a mite inaccurate since it implies that I/we am seeking to denying someone something I/we have no desire/use for – which is 180 degrees from the truth. I would have thought Horatius at the bridge would have been more apt!

<< Even the world's billionaires have realized that their wealth is not solely the result of their innate brilliance, and have pledged to give some back>> .
You make it sound like it’s a novel development , its been happening for generations -- as Buffett attests: “America, …is already the most generous society on earth”
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 29 August 2010 12:00:25 AM
Yabby quote "Much of the third world is still actively tribal".

The ENTIRE world is tribal. That's why we have separate countries. In a civilised world there would be NO countries and NO borders (subject to health/medical restrictions of course).

In many ways we are still intellectually no more advanced than we were in the Stone Age ...... our tribal nature is one such example. My better half agrees with that, she often calls me "the neanderthal".
Posted by benq, Sunday, 29 August 2010 2:56:43 PM
Remarkable insight by Benq...."The enitre world is tribal",

Now..Benny, all you have to do is persuade Pericles and CJ Morgan of this reality, and the cosmos will be back in balance.

Sadly, even if you can persuade them of this, the next task is to clarify the implications, but that, I'm afraid, might be toooo much for their current neuronic matrix to cope with.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Sunday, 29 August 2010 7:41:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you want to get serious about the boat problem, simply blow up a few marinas and jetties. Maybe talk to the guy at the boat shop and see if he wouldnt be happier selling motorbikes or cars instead. If that does not work, simply set up a huge magnet at a weird angle so they all head off towards NZ instead of the former marina site.
Posted by PatTheBogan, Sunday, 29 August 2010 9:42:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy