The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is, a Global Citizen?

What is, a Global Citizen?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
Pertaining to the OP and "What is a Global Citizen"?

It depends upon your residence and ability of movement. Many of us in Western countries consider ourselves as global citizens for we feel free to move around the planet as we desire, and live in countries where we can have the means to do so. I imagine that this would not be the case for people outside of this sphere. Though again, in some of the more primitive cultures, they consider themselves as only care-takers, or travellers on the planet.

Hmm...philosophically, it would depend upon how you perceive yourself within the context of your existence, and what you considered to be "freedom" or your "role" in the universe. For you could be confined by means and forces, but still consider yourself a citizen of the globe, or you could freely roam the planet, yet feel lost and without a home...a citizen of nowhere. It's all relative to the individual.

So...a global citizen is one that perceives themselves as a global citizen. There will always be the people that see themselves as the more global minded, and those that are more parochial.

In practical terms, I'm a citizen of anywhere that takes Visa, Am-ex or MasterCard. And in legal terms, it depends upon where I want to go, and why, and what colour and religion I am.
Posted by MindlessCruelty, Thursday, 26 August 2010 10:23:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Richie 10

Good story Richie. Hopefully the young man turned his sin and received forgiveness.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 August 2010 10:24:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza, I stand corrected on your stance with Iraq and Afghanistan.

However, I don't agree with your appraisal of The Balkans, for much of the time the UN forces were impotent and could not intervene unless fired upon.

You said," to swoop down to a country and set it right". The last time anything was "set right", IMO, was WWII. Everything since then has been a development of the Industrial Military Complex and the acquisition of resources for consumer driven economies, both working in harmony to sustain and justify each other. Afghanistan is a wonderful example...when the Russians invaded, we provided the very people we're fighting today with arms, to fight the Russians. Now we've invaded Afghanistan, and the Russians are supplying the arms to the very people they were fighting, to fight us. So Afghanistan has been nothing more than the marketplace for arms for Russia and America for a couple of decades. Each testing, developing and researching their own and the opposition's technology. The rest is political rhetoric to justify the monies that are directed towards this, which for the US alone is trillions of dollars.
Posted by MindlessCruelty, Thursday, 26 August 2010 11:11:31 AM
Errr.... runner?

>>Good story Richie. Hopefully the young man turned his sin and received forgiveness<<

That's runner-code for "hope he stopped being gay", is it not?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 26 August 2010 1:59:40 PM
Pericles,

I think you know by now that all sexual immorality is not an option for those following Christ. This includes homosexuality. Accuse me of what you like but you should know that I don't work by codes.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 August 2010 4:44:18 PM
So that's a "yes", is it runner?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 26 August 2010 5:39:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 11