The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > PM Gillard endorses OLO approach to debate but does it work?

PM Gillard endorses OLO approach to debate but does it work?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Some of the most truly bigoted stuff arriving in my in box is from totally fully commited Christians who are also never to be budged conservatives.
Our friendship is real a good thing about this country, we do not war with one another over politics.
I share some of the views in those e mails,Australia does.
Now go to Iran Iraq, Egypt Saudi Arabia even to some extent Malaysia,pick a Muslim country.
Say one percent of us goes to live there.
Would we be able to ask that celebrations of holly days be muffled so as not to offend?
Would our thoughts on the way women dress be allowed?
Would our attempts to change them be ok, stop kidding your self!
Entrenching my bigotry here am I not.
My family is a united nations of post ww2 migrants and their kids, love them all, few want me to change anything, often they'd change me.
I have learned so much our country has from them.
We are training our selves to be lead around like trained cattle by PC fools who discount the murders of Christian ministers murder and rape, tell me my concerns are blindness but my views are shared by many.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 July 2010 5:16:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forrest, good post.
GY, good forum.
Contributors, thanks for your input.
Onlookers, great you're looking.
Everybody, ciao.
Posted by qanda, Thursday, 8 July 2010 11:55:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some times, often in fact, a thread dies after a post like my last.
I went out into the mud, the deep end I did not agree with minority PC views, never ever will.
I forever will go that extra mile for some one from a minority or underprivileged group, any group.
Not in union? still be there to help.
But it is in fashion to not publicly say, why the difference?
Why is it the people who helped build this country those post war migrants, share my fears?
Why is it no group of them ever asked me to change.
Why did I change? because they added to my country showed me better ways to eat and live.
Multi culturism works, but not for every one within my country some seek a separatism that we would be wise to watch.
Hiding behind a word that has no meaning for some mono culture within our culture is not going to work.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 9 July 2010 4:06:30 AM
Belly "Some references seem to be for me"

I looked and could not find them, any hints.

You don't seem to have copped the expected flack, possibly because most posters know that you are not religious right so your views may be treated in a different manner. I'm speculating with that one.

I enjoy a lot of things about our multicultural society but do believe that the views of some are so contrary to social norms that they would be better off elsewhere. I'd not like to see certain clothing banned but I also think that those who want to wear (or have a partner wear) a full covering on a Queensland summers day are unlikely to fit in well with Australian society. There are difficulties and sometimes either inconvenience or genuine hardship for others because of the conflicts at times.

I get the impression from snippets I hear that some of the same assaults and abuse of "skips" by gangs of lebanese youths that lead up to the Cronula riot are still going on in parts of Sydney but I don't know for sure. The attitudes behind those actions have no place in Australia.

On one hand there is the extreme vilification of an entire group based on the actions of a minority, on the other hand is the suppression of association of a particular problem with a group and the corresponding difficulties in fixing the problem. Somewhere there is a balance but it's never an easy one.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 9 July 2010 7:27:48 AM
On Wednesday my son had his skull cracked in 3 places, in hospital.

This was to repair damage caused when he was attacked by an ethnic gang, while walking home, in daylight, from work. Yes a bunch of "lebs" who will do nothing but cause trouble for all decent Australians, for decades to come.

The nationalities are different in different places, but the story is identical, just the level of viciousness varies.

CJ, I'm a bigot, with good reason, & proud of it.

WE have let these undesirables in, housed & fed them at public expense, & gained nothing but resentment for our trouble.

I would like to shut the boarder now, & also shut down the faulty systems that allow these scum to get citizenship, then return to their country of origin, & continue to collect our welfare payments.

WE have been made fools of by ethnic politicians, with multiculturalism a huge rip off, buying their votes.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 9 July 2010 11:13:43 AM
Belly et al,

My concern is with this and like conversations is the failure to define what is meant by PC.
PC is one of those near mythical un or ill defined urban terms that is (ab)used to combat everything from justifiable accusations of racist, simple bad/childish behaviour, to unwillingness to either engage in rational thought or prejudice.
I find it difficult to explain much of the angst against 'boat people', Asian or African, Muslim migrants other than by various types of bigotry or plain wanton ignorance. This is especially true when one considers that Australia has a bigger problem with visitor over stayers and "over the ditch" economic migrants and never a paranoid word is said. How else does one explain the selectivity?

Maintaining Cultural integrity is the semantic equivalence of renaming Amphorphophallus (stink lilly) as a rose....it still stinks.

All too often criticisms of 'boorish behaviour', 'lack of regard for others' are wanton ignorance are taken as PC or criticism of a lesser education. Let me be clear education and intelligence are not necessarily synonymous.

Neither side can rightfully automatically necessarily claim the moral or correctness High ground.
As in all topics on OLO this one is tending towards argument by irrational extremes.

IMO GY's problem is where to draw the line. Personally, I hold the view that one doesn't have resort to extremes of behaviour to make a point. Sadly, it is a flaw in our system that allows/encourages aggression/polarization and opposition for opposition sake, as a means of political discourse. All of which tend to be counter productive .
Posted by examinator, Friday, 9 July 2010 11:17:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14