The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > PM Gillard endorses OLO approach to debate but does it work?

PM Gillard endorses OLO approach to debate but does it work?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
GY

Your forum your rules.
Call me pedantic but the headline statement that "PM Gillard endorses OLO approach" appears a bit of political over interpretation on your part. None of her statements you reported referred to OLO even obliquely.
I would put it to you that PM Gillard is simply trying to get elected by burying/defuse those issues that was costing votes.

Polispeak is by definition is ambiguous in order to give the impression the widest coverage/inclusion. In this case it is being interpreted to justify many on the right's POLITICAL leanings.
While your motives may simply be, as stated political I am not so sure about many others.
Without specifics from you what is bigotry, stupidity/emotionalism, selfishness or plain bad manners will be seen as justified

To me it is a sad indictment of the average Aussie.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 7:12:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I could see what the appeal to a pollie would be of the OLO way of debating things... Put an idea out there, gauge what is being said for or against it, work out a standpoint which pleases the most readers... Cynical I know, but even in these modern times if you draw position 1 on the voting papers you get about 20% of the vote due to compulsory voting (how Fred Nile got into where he is). Of course in modern times a computer can do a reasonable job of randomly positioning all candidates on different forms, but I think they also like the luck element of getting all those donkey votes. She's not a complete fool, she has worked out whats best for her and most likely to benefit her chances of being elected.
Posted by PatTheBogan, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 9:03:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good on you Belly.

I understand your anguish about expressing such things – things which we should all be able to express openly.

If we are principled, we should just go ahead and express them regardless of the reactions. But I know that it can be tough. Even on OLO, such views have met with very strong and persistent slander.

But I’m getting the impression that this situation has improved somewhat. So I’ll be interested to see if you do indeed get harangued for saying what you’ve just said.

Cheers.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 9:49:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The OLO approach isn't to say that your views won't be tackled robustly by your opponents, just that we will allow you to express them without shutting you down, so long as you don't break any laws.

I can't talk about the times we have stared down organisations or individuals trying to shut discussion here down, but we have. There have been complaints to HREOC and also complaints to sponsors.

Please note, I'm not saying that Julia Gillard mentioned us, just that she appears to endorse the approach that we have adopted. While I believe this approach is the correct one, I'm always open to new evidence, which is why I started this thread. I want to know whether the approach has actually made a difference.

CJ thinks it hasn't. I'm not so sure. I hope Belly gets some constructive engagement with his post. He's a good supporter of the site, and while we probably don't agree on much, we do both share an enthusiasm for what we're doing here.

Some of us have been "frontline" in the political battles, but now we're more relaxed. I think OLO does have a spot where some of the arguments can be worked out and others who are more "violently" involved may trim their rhetoric as a result, or come to different positions.

As it's life, there will always be antagonism. That's how it works.
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 10:41:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Political Correctness, as stated by Belly IS a way by which the minority can govern the majority... Especially when it has been enforced so brutally and as nastily (Pauline Hanson is a prime example, agree with ALL of what she said or not, she had the guts to say it & did her time in a QLD Jail, which as a stated 'rascist' would be somewhat difficult shall we say?)...

As an example, discussion of Aboriginal communities is sidetracked by self-serving coconuts, who SINCERELY DO NOT WANT the Federal Government involved and to be made to account for the gaping holes in the books. The Nepotism, the corruption (particularly with contractors and the awarding of contracts), the misuse/misappropriation is incredible, by such a small part of most communities...

Yet the politically correct refuse to consider that they are being played, so they sit on the sideline while the argument is then dragged into the mire by ignorant fools who truly seem to believe in the 'mythical' better deal Indigenous Australian's supposedly get. FROM WHOM?

IN WHAT WAY?

Life expectancy is below that of Bundaberg Hospital patients, they are far more likely to be harassed by Police until they respond - giving the trifecta (which has made a REAL COMEBACK - quinella = assault police/resist arrest, trifecta = drunk & disorderly, assault police & resist arrest, with the added bonus of the victims of crime claim for the pig). The incarceration rate is insane, the terms for similar crimes are, contrary to as is often reiterated but never demonstrated, wholly out of balance...

That is the result of political correctness, none of that can be discussed openly, I mean, how dare ANYBODY suggest that nepotism, corruption, misappropriation and blatant fraud is being carried out by some ATSI People? Until it can be discussed openly, the wound will never heal. Until then, conditions on communities cannot change, regardless of how much money is thrown at them.
Posted by Custard, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 11:05:00 PM
Some references seem to be for me, I except them warmly proudly,for in your terms I am a bigot.
Now let us face facts, Gillard did not lead Labor to the right.
She followed voters there, no leader can win leaving middle Australia behind.
I Offer this as evidence PC is never going to drive this country, unless we lay down in front of minority's steam rollers.
After Paul lost to Howard a NSW wide forum asking ALP members why was held.
We shouted at poor old Dela Bosca PC! we had enough of it.
Lathams execution of the ALP, well at that time Australia was looking for other than John Howard.
Construction lunch rooms, always a good measured voting intentions shouted no way ALP!
Boat people, migration, cultural differences, from people who made this country great post ww2 migrants children.
ALP this week finally followed the voters not a few left of reality.
Bigot? if you must but while I would go hungry to feed them lets not forget why I am opposed.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 July 2010 4:58:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All