The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Workplace drug and alcohol testing

Workplace drug and alcohol testing

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. All
Suzeonline:"A new meta-analysis"

Here's a tip, hom, a ",eta-analysis" is what you do when you don't have actual controlled trials. It's a rehash of old stuff, not a rigorous experiment. You really should do something about that education of yours.

What the Lancet says is: "Research published since 1995, including Moore's systematic review in this issue, leads us now to conclude that cannabis use COULD increase the risk of psychotic illness".

Of course, a nurse like you doesn't need to be told that there is a vast difference between "could" and "does"...

For example a nurse "could" get Doctor's instructions right all the time but the nurse "does" frequently balls it up. See?

It's a question of reality vs fantasy.

Thanks for sharing the article with us though. If that's the best you've got, I think I should have an extra couple of cones this arvo.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 26 May 2010 5:01:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Severin:"Not a thought for medicos, police, farmers, truckies and many more who keep our nation functioning. It is ALL about you isn't it Anti?"

Well, given your original comment to which i was resaponding was "all about me" it seemed reasonable to keep on topic. Sorry if that confused you.

I'm nor entirely sure what any on those goups you mention have to do with my early rising, except that they too have work to do and can't lie in bed waiting for their next benefit cheque to hit the bank.

Severin:"As an advocate for the legalisation of cannabis, you make a good wowser."

But I'm not an advocate for legalisation or anything else. I'm simply a bloke who likes a puff and doesn't like the sanctimony expressed by the lip-pursers.

As it happens, I quite like you and your POV on many things, but your determination to be "solid" with the twits drags your standard down. Do try to avoid falling for the leg-humping antics of the "me-too" brigade; you're one of those who can actually think.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 26 May 2010 5:09:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pynchme and Suzeonline

I understand your anguish when having to clean up the mess some people make of their lives. Just a reminder that these people are a very small minority of drug and alcohol users. While it is a truism that one bad apple spoils the lot, it is a better solution that illicit drugs be decriminalised and come under the scrutiny of organisations that can help and not have people coming into contact with a criminal element they would not normally meet. And, back to topic, the ruination of a career simply because of a week-end rave if workplace drug testing were to become mandatory.

Having worked in the welfare sector, I am aware from direct experience that whether it is the legal (alcohol) or illegal, it is only a minority of people who have health issues from dependency and it is this minority that needs help not a criminal record.
Prohibition continues not to work.

Anti

You are your own worst enemy and pull down what few bona fides you have remaining. Not a poster boy for the occasional joint. However, I can't imagine how vitriolic you'd be if you didn't have a daily toke. You remain an excellent case study - quite fascinating, thank you.
Posted by Severin, Wednesday, 26 May 2010 9:43:52 AM
Like all drugs it needs to come with a warning and there is nothing to stop individuals seeking medical advice first.

I wonder if the bad press comes from the problems of excessive use, or excessive use by people with emerging mental health problems who are self-medicating to reduce the effects being encountered from their illness.

I would like to dry up some of the millions going to organised crime and lessen the contact that is occuring between ordinary occasional MJ users and criminals. Reducing police corruption is another consideration. So legalise possession of a small quantity of the drug and the cultivation of some plants.

I don't see how those who are bent on abusing any drug will ever be stopped by bans and stiff penalties. They just buy it from a sleezy criminal at a premium. After all, where do all of those celebrities get their coke from?

Likewise there is nothing except better counselling and support facilities including refuges, especially during the young student years, that can help those who suffer, or are likely to suffer, from anxiety, depression and mental illness.

Risk management not risk aversion is the way.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 26 May 2010 3:53:59 PM
Antiseptic <" For example a nurse "could" get Doctor's instructions right all the time but the nurse "does" frequently balls it up."

Gee Antiseptic, has a nasty nurse turned you down in the past/present or something? You seem to want to have a fight with me about nurses or the medical profession?

Sorry, I am just not interested in arguing with a dope-affected brain like yours. You never listen anyway.

I agree with Severin when she suggests that you are a poster boy for brain-affected dope smokers.

You go on believing you aren't being affected by the dope, because you are sure to have plenty of visits with the medical professionals that you so hate, sometime in the future.

No, I don't believe decriminalization of marijuana is the answer either. It hasn't worked well with alcohol or tobacco has it?
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 26 May 2010 7:45:20 PM
Suzeonline

>> No, I don't believe decriminalization of marijuana is the answer either. It hasn't worked well with alcohol or tobacco has it? <<

Weeeell.

1. Neither tobacco or alcohol need be bought through criminals.
2. Smoking is very much on the decline thanks to education.

Would you prefer that tobacco and alcohol be illegal as well?

That said, I thought it hilarious when Anti said that I wanted to remain >> "solid" with the twits drags your standard down <<. Ha ha ha, I guess the idea of civilised discussion between people with opposite views is completely novel. I doubt his anger management issues are the result of his lunchtime joint, however, but I don't have any evidence for this.

Suze, I agree completely with Cornflower's last post and would like to see the illegal drugs out of the control of the drug barons. I suspect that these criminals are in positions in society that are very elevated and have a great deal of influence on police, government and other agencies. Instead the drug runners and junkies are the ones who are convicted and nothing changes.

I respect your experience in the medical profession and just want to remind you that you see the very extreme end of drug abuse. I am glad I no longer work in Human Services, one can only deal with ex-cons, abused children, victims of torture and other unfortunate people, without managerial support, for so long before it gets too much.

Last year, when I fell and split my head open, the nursing staff were absolutely fantastic and this was on a Saturday evening when things are very chaotic. When I was finally stitched and checked out the nurse who had been with me for most of the night, gave me a big hug as I was leaving to take a taxi home. This was all in a public hospital - I can't afford private and I totally respect the work you do. But still disagree with you regarding the criminalising of drugs.

Cheers.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 27 May 2010 9:59:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16