The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Workplace drug and alcohol testing

Workplace drug and alcohol testing

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Belly, you're not making sense. If this is so bad, why are rates of accident so low? Why would R0bert "be afraid to think how lucky we are deaths are not much worse." IOW, it's not "luck" it's the reality not bearing out the hysteria
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 7:11:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like my stubby & I am not under any influence after having a couple. I know many who don't drink at all but are under the influence of stupidity & ill logic. Shouldn't they be tested as well ? Having stated that I support Drug testing but I do not support people losing their employment because of it. Demotion is a far more effective but less harmful strategy . It makes people think & reflect rather than get them into a state of despair & resentment.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 7:44:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly I don't work in a mine or construction site. I don't operate machinery.

I'm quite in favor of testing where there is sufficient cause to believe that someone may be over relevant legal limits but find the idea of an employer being able to insist that I partake in routine drug and alcohol testing overly intrusive.

I think that we need to resist the incursion of unnecessary bureaucracy into our lives, it becomes a habit and what starts out with one purpose has a habit of morphing into something else. People with jobs that involve control of others tend towards extending that control when they can get away with it.

Test where there is cause to believe that someone is outside relevant legal limits, and limit's which apply on the roads are probably a good indicator for a lot of job's.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 8:47:58 AM
In one of my work places people did lines of coke in the boardroom. Apparently it helps marketeers with 'brainstorming'. I remember thinking of switching to the marketing department after that.

This actually makes sense in some workplaces. Performance enhancing drugs. Many employers are happy as a Larry to provide all the free coffee they can to make sure people are stimulated and able to work faster and longer.

It would seriously enhance the productivity of a country if stronger stimulants were made legal. A lot of the most creative work from artists and musicians is also done under the influence of drugs too.

It always amazes me why the government isn't making it's own synthetic drugs, designed for maximum productivity and social cohesion with minimum health complications. Soma would be a great idea.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 9:11:22 AM
This is becoming more common. Even in the APS some public servants are required to sign as part of their contract that they are willing to submit to a drug test if asked and those in law enforcement have been doing it for a while.

The bit of research I did just quickly reveals mining employees have been subject to drug testing for some time.

http://www.mirmgate.com.au/index.php?coreId=2534

While I don't like unnecessary intrusion by bureaucracy wouldn't it be wise to ensure those carrying guns or using machinery, particularly if it risks the lives of others, are not under the influence of any mind altering substances?

Does anyone know the actual figures for accidents (particularly by those using machinery) being a direct cause of drug use? There have been reported cases of accidents involving truck drivers who were using drugs mainly as a result of unfair work practices forcing drivers to work inordinately long hours.

This was an interesting article:

http://workplace.samhsa.gov/DrugTesting/Files_Drug_Testing/FactSheet/factsheet041906.aspx

It boils down to whether or not accidents are currently being caused by drug use and what are the statistics? If we want to go down the path of evidence-based policy then these facts need to be ascertained.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 9:13:09 AM
drugs used in parliament house are killing and terrorising people every day.

Lets drug test these pollies.
Posted by tapp, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 11:59:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy