The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Relatives should go after the Judge.

Relatives should go after the Judge.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
As far as I'm concerned, the relatives of the family killed in the Canberra car chase crash should be going after the Judge who failed to imprison the driver after his previous offence. The police were doing their job - the Judge did not do his / hers and this family would be alive otherwise.
Posted by Spinner, Monday, 22 March 2010 9:12:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yer they should start a blood feud against the drivers family too.
How about we execute all road drivers who breach the road rules!
Bring back drawing and quartering I say, burning at the stake for every one who transgresses *my* sense of correctness. Clearly a victim must be found.
You bring the rope I'll light the crosses.....Wait, what are we talking about?

Were you in the court at the time? are you a lawyer who was involved?
Will it ring the victims back?
Sorry old chap but you had better post more details or else you simply look like a hypo critical reactionary.
There is no doubt that this event was a tragedy that shouldn't have happened but singling out the judge in the absence of real proof, that the judge acted inappropriately is pure emotionalism...yours.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 22 March 2010 11:12:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
victim mentality has led us to blaming police when a repeat offender thief kills innocent people. what a joke! Next time someone steals your car I suppose you would like them just to wave goodbye.
Posted by runner, Monday, 22 March 2010 12:49:44 PM
Here's a link for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/onlookers-stunned-by-fatal-scene/1782453.aspx

I live nearby. I can attest it was a particularly nasty accident where a lead-foot repeat car stealer makes a run for it from police and runs a couple of red lights smashing into a family going about their business.

AT the end of the day, the driver is the one responsible so I'm not unhappy that he died. As to further blame, I'm not in a position to make a comment. But, there is definitely a trend away from jailing people as a deterrent and giving them a warning instead. I've also noticed more bad driving since the accident, which is a worry. You'd think it would be the opposite.

Deterrence definitely has its place, but getting the best balance between that and giving people official warnings is the problem.
Posted by RobP, Monday, 22 March 2010 2:41:35 PM
Dead right Spinner, this judge, & all other judges should be made responsible for all post bail crimes committed by any crim they let out on bail. The same should go for parole boards.

If these idiot judges had to wear the consequences of their indulgences, rather than the general public, they might just start to give out a bit of justice.

The poor cops will get the backlash, which rightly belongse to the damn fool judge. They are sick of having to catch each crook half a dozen times, only to see them back on the street next day.

Is it that the pollies are bringing pressure on judges to let these crims out, to keep the watch house numbers down? Of course the judge wants promotion, so they don't want to rock the boat.

Or is it that after half their legal carreer is spent touting for the crims business, the judges have more in common with the crims, than the public?

What ever it is, the most ridicules thing you see every day, is some fool judge cancelling some crooks licence, for a further 2 years, when the charge is 6 counts of driving with a cancelled licenc. What's more, the damn fools do it with a straight face, & some condescending attitude that they are dispensing justice.

What ever it is, judges are the weak link, making our streets much less safe than half a century ago.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 22 March 2010 2:57:36 PM
Tragic waste of young lives.

I feel sorry for the police (as well as everyone else involved).

Runner is right - what is it that the community expects the coppers to do. We can't know how many tragedies have been *prevented* by police giving chase and managing to stop someone who is speeding.

One of the news reports stated that the young offender was injured in a car-theft road accident just about a year ago. His family is now also railing at the coppers for 'causing' his death. If their attitude back then was as now, that the young man wasn't responsible for his actions, then sad to say but I think some of the culpability for this sad event belongs to them more than anyone else.

The young bloke stole a car (again); the young bloke drove at speed (again) and he wasn't brave enough to cop the consequences but tried to outrun the police (again). Not the fault of any law enforcement.

There is an electronic tracking device that police might be able to use in the future, apparently. Maybe technology will bring a solution.
Posted by Pynchme, Monday, 22 March 2010 10:48:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy