The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Your Thoughts?

Your Thoughts?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
On logging in many new names appear but few are posting.
We often get stuck on the same subjects politics religion get big threads but why no new directions?
Some threads fail, yes they need to be ones others are interested in so why do some of our sand baggers[ a ham radio term for listener who do not take part in discussions] get involved.
Want your first thread to fly? try climate change but stand by for the insults.
Tell us what you think and why it took a while to post.
Or subjects we do not seem to talk about and why.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 17 March 2010 5:24:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's a thought starter. No time to write it just now but is a critical subject because if the words take root, we might also finally expose the myths of coal fired power generation.

Solar cannot produce base load electricity is a well worn statement, particularly in Australia. It isn't doubted in Spain where it is reality.

We should recognize that base load is what coal (and nuclear) technologies produce, not what is required by society.

Human activity and energy usage correlates significantly with the delivery from direct solar systems, not with base load coal or nuclear on a daily basis. Load-following clean technologies are what we should be seeking.

Now let's continue the inevitable argument. 78% of the coal industry is foreign owned. It is not in the interests it is said to move to solar anytime soon and this government and the last "bought" that pitch.

Perhaps we should look at what Siemens, Areva and Alstom are busy with! And we are talking in terms of hundreds of millions of dollars.
Posted by renew, Thursday, 18 March 2010 9:21:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My thoughts??

Hmmm, I guess I fall into the group you mention.
I think I have contributed once or twice but I mainly use the site to gauge the public view on subjects.
Alternative views help me form and confirm my own views.
The trick is to eliminate the extremists and gauge the views of those who actually think about the subject.
The use of name calling is a sure sign of an extremist.
Forums such as these are of great value to the community as they enable views to be expressed and comment to be made.
In times past, the print media was an unbiased form of information. Unfortunately this is no longer the case.
Forums such as these and the internet in general are now our only means of free speech and freedom of information.
The freedom of the internet is one of the greatest gifts the community have received.
Posted by Simpson, Thursday, 18 March 2010 9:28:43 AM
I have many thoughts on a number of issues posted here, but of course politics, sex and religion are the three "forbidden" subjects. These are probably the most controversial and so create the most emotional responses. Unfortunately I spend far too much time in front of this screen as it is, but like a lot of other people, I am sure, I get sucked in when I see an opinion that contravenes my sensibilities.

Politics always strikes a raw nerve with a lot of people and we all have strong prejudices in this respect. Sex ? Well that's a natural part of human existence and plays an important part in everyone's lives so our responses to it are usually governed by what we have been taught. That leaves religion which more than any other is something that is generally instilled at a young age and becomes "faith". Such a nebulous term means different things to different people and can only be argued in philosophical terms as there is no evidence either way. That is why I consider religion as such, totally absurd. However, others look around them and justify some existence without any proof and for some reason don't need it.

Anyway, any subject discussed has to really "press a button" with most people to motivate a response. It has to with me. In this respect I am tempted to write something on money and happiness which might provoke a lot of controversy !
Posted by snake, Thursday, 18 March 2010 9:57:48 AM
Dear Belly,

One of the things I like about this Forum
is the diversity of subjects that are
discussed. It's not only the usual topics
of religion, gender, sex, politics, sport,
although they tend to figure greatly - which
is to be expected, I guess, as these are topics
that attract attention in our media. But there's
also been issues like racism, marriage, the Republic,
the Australian Flag, Indigenous issues, the meaning of
love, scientific topics, trolls on the internet,
the etiquette of posting on the web, the most
beautiful places you've ever visited, favourite holiday
destinations, and so on, that have added spice to
discussions.

We all have our reasons for not posting - whether it's
a shortage of time at that moment, lack of interest in
the topic, limited knowledge of the topic, or just simply
a certain topic just doesn't seem to get off the ground.

All in all, however, I think this Forum is very moorish,
and I find myself coming back for more - again, and again.
It's opened up a world to me that I don't get anywhere
else.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 18 March 2010 10:34:43 AM
I am happy we have bought new contributors out and subjects.
sex we one day must get away from the death hold religion put on original sin.
And we can run almost every home in Australia on solar and one day wind if you wish.
A good thread for some one to start.
Every view has value and the forum runs on ideas let see more contributions.
Thread titles? will we have another world war?
is climate change real, bet that one is hot but some do not think it is happening.
world trade and its victims.
Return to back yard food gardens?
Welcome to new posters, please say something controversial, so we can disagree.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 18 March 2010 5:11:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy