The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Your Thoughts?

Your Thoughts?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Belly

The SA and Tas elections were hardly a strong endorsement of the Libs either.

The Greens gained as I thought they would in Tassie - irrespective of how you think about the Greens (they are now far more than a single policy party), both the Libs and Labor need to be brought down to planet earth because this is the only place in the universe we've got.
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 21 March 2010 6:43:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've just got home from spending an afternoon
with my mother-in-law and late afternoon - early
evening - with my mother. Both are suffering from
alzheimer's. One's worse than the other.

I still have two mums, but there's a cloudiness
that's started to come in. There are slow changes
to their personalities - and all we can do is let
them enjoy the moments spent with us. It's painful
to watch at times - but I'm not giving up on them -
not by a long shot. I want to wrap my arms around
both of them - and if I could I would stop this
process that's re-arranging who they once were.

Anyway - those are my thoughts this Sunday evening -
One thing I have learnt is that love is the wondrous,
mysterious element in the centre of all relationships -
and that's probably not a bad thing to acknowledge...
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 21 March 2010 7:13:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My mother is in a nursing home, after 10 days in a Qld public hospital robbed her of the ability to walk. The nursing home has nursed her back to health, but she's never going to walk again.

Great places our hospitals.

In view of the great job our commonwealth lot did with their insulation initiative, do you really want them to use this wonderful efficiency on our hospitals?

I really don't know.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 21 March 2010 10:02:28 PM
Foxy and Hasbeen

My mother has been ill for a long time now. The time has come where she can no longer live alone and we are trying to sort out the best situation for her. She maybe has 6 months.

I am grateful her mind is still sharp - I know how difficult it is to watch a loved one not even know who you are.

My thoughts on Rudd's take over of Health are mixed, I honestly don't think the Libs can do any better. And that's the choice we are left with. Hence the hung parliament in Tassie and the barely there win in SA.
Posted by Severin, Monday, 22 March 2010 9:06:50 AM
Dear Hasbeen and Severin,

I don't have the answers.

I only know how difficult it is to see
staff shortages - especially in high-care
nursing homes where the continuity of care
is so vital - and agency staff often don't
appear to be well trained - or familiar
with their patient's specific needs.

I've witnessed more than once patient's
pressing their call buttons - with no reaction
from staff.

Something definitely needs to be done ...
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 22 March 2010 10:07:20 AM
"The SA and Tas elections were hardly a strong endorsement of the Libs either."

... well, of course not - no one in their right mind could endorse the Liberals in any State, or federally. They have no policies worth an iota; spend their time throwing rocks rather than offering alternatives; and dodge any and all questions put to them. Add to that their slavish subscription to outdated, hyupocritical and often discredited notions of law and order, success, morality, and health - and you have to wonder that they have survived at all. But then, of course, a large part of our population swallow the rhetoric of consumerism, competition and growth that are blights on our society and diametrically opposed to caring, cooperation and contentment and human advancement in any real sense.

However, in reality, there is no longer a Labor party, either. Little seperates it any longer from the self-serving characteristics of the Liberals and Country parties - it simply provides the lesser of two evils for the 'little' people.

What we need is a complete shake-up of our political system - yet no-one seems to want to discuss that. The Westminster system may be the best political system known [or it may not] but, even if it is - is that a reason not to try to improve it? Does that make it the best possible system that is possible? I think not.

Major flaws have developed with our system, not least being the move to presidential style Prime Ministership, the relative impossibility of a minor party being able to oust Labor or Liberal, and the notion that pay levels are a measure of competence and effectiveness.

It's time for real change ...
Posted by yorkshire_pudding, Monday, 22 March 2010 10:15:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy