The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Has yet another climate/weather theory

Has yet another climate/weather theory

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Belly,
You wonder why we sceptics question what the scientists claim. Here is an example.

This was written March 20 2000
However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".
"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

The effects of snow-free winter in Britain are already becoming apparent. Unquote

The Northern Hemisphere has just experienced record snowfalls almost everywhere. The US data shows the snowyest decade ever and this year record falls and record earliest falls.

Its a religion to believe in AGW and to have all faith in the scientists. Hope you noted the institute from which the above prediction came.

Scare mongering? You bet!
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 9:49:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
qanda,

You're right about the difference between sceptics and deniers. I still stand by my statements.
Good luck
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 9:58:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz if some one is reading our posts in 20 years they will wounder just how some got it so wrong.
I will not be around but forgive you in advance.
The trouble is far too many have got that say no to everything Tony Abbott bug.
It has become a tool for the right, say no it is not happening, scream about lefty loonies and mud will stick.
Climate change is undeniable, it is real it is taking place.
True questions remain, is man contributing to it?
My answer is yes.
Can we do anything about it?
My answer is if its yes [and for me its maybe] it will not be in a short time or without much pain
Is it worth it
my answer yes
First action?
Take the power out of the hands of fossil fuels interests they are behind to it is not happening mob.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 4 March 2010 4:30:20 AM
Belly,

Right you are—great analogy– about the primacy of experts
[ http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=3498#83122\ ]

But what if a patient had reason to suspect the “expert”-doctor was misdiagnosing his/her ailment.
And when they asked the doctor for the x-rays etc –so they could cross check with another “expert” - he responded that he couldn’t find them; he’d lost them.And when they accessed their file the doctor had made notes like “hiding” this and not reporting that.
What should they do in that case – probably seek a new “expert”-doctor!. And I’d dare say if he kept up such practises he would be struck off (though he’d only have the welfare of few hundred individuals, at most.)

But the IPCC & co has been caught fudging , fixing and making false predictions (and the IPCC holds the welfare of billions of people).
Yet you and your confederates say “stick with them” ( Peter Garret couldn’t get away with it, but IPCC & co can !)

Now I can understand why Examinator wants to be part of the IPCC party boy scene –he just wants to be loved by someone, ANY-ONE!
And I can understand why quata wants to be on the invitation list –he aspired to being hydrology’s version of Richard Leakey…but alas

But it’s a real puzzle as to why someone like yourself, Belly, who clearly has a great affinity for the OZ working classes, can endorse such..
Think beyond the lib-lab divide –can’t you see Australian Industries & workers are being shafted in favour of dirtier Kyoto exempted
“developing” nations –and there isn’t even a net environmental benefit.

Posted by Horus, Thursday, 4 March 2010 5:22:18 AM
Rusty you ask

'Read any real references for yourself yet? Just passing on quotes from books pastor reads for you? Thought so.'

I was wondering whether you were giving up on some of your High Priests after their pathetic scientific (sorry prophetic ) failures. Has Mr Flannery crawled under a rock yet after his predictions re Brisbane dam levels? What about your High priests predictions of snow levels in Europe? Oh that's right the science is settled. At least he was brave (silly) enough to make predictions where most people have loved long enough to see his failure
Posted by runner, Thursday, 4 March 2010 11:01:41 AM
So, runner, you haven't done any reading.

I know that from where you stand, any scientist would automatically outrank any high-priest you could imagine. Unklike many priests, scientists are usually honest. Even climate scientists. If they are wrong, they will work harder to find the right stuff. Unlike you.

The problem for you is that the people qualified to judge their work aren't you.

There is a strong first principles case for more energy being trapped by the atmosphere. *If* that energy *is* being dissipated, it is by mechanisms not yet understood, which we need to understand, and cannot depend on until we do.

Sure as hell won't be you determining those mechanisms, nor all the she'll-be-right-always-has-been objectors.

Read any books for yourself yet? Got any more quotes from articles you haven't read by authors whose work you don't know? Poor, lazy runner, just believing what pastor says because it sounds good to him.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Thursday, 4 March 2010 12:32:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy