The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia has recently shown itself racist?

Australia has recently shown itself racist?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Racism is very SUBJECTIVE whereas PREJUDICE is OBJECTIVE. IMO the term racism should be officially removed from use.

Prejudice as a concept is actually so flexible that it's virtually infinite in scope and degree - indeed some prejudice is positive: ie. being prejudiced against child abuse is not a bad thing...

Viewing things in terms of prejudice rather than racism allows us to examine the behaviour of ALL parties toward each other in ALL sorts of areas - not just issues of race - and allows us to recognise there are different degrees and combinations - from actually positive to totally harmless thru distasteful to downright unacceptable and ultimately criminal.

Again, as long as we limit ourselves to looking at things in terms of black and white - figuratively speaking - and no shades of grey - such that the issues by definition can only be looked at in terms of completely right or completely wrong and only applying in certain contexts and arguably in certain directions, we limit ourselves badly in terms of having room and flexibility to deal with the issues.
Posted by Spinner, Tuesday, 2 February 2010 7:36:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spinner makes a good point
Posted by thecat, Friday, 5 February 2010 1:54:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spinner,

I agree. The idea of prejudice is much more useful because it opens up all the nuances in everyday life.

For example, a white person's actions might come across as racist when all they are motivated by is the desire to not get sucked into a lifestyle or culture that they are not comfortable with. Quite a lot of people do this, but it's not that they have an innate hatred of others. All people have interests and if the interests of two parties that come into contact with one another differ, a certain repulsive force is generated and they consequently put their energies elsewhere. This happens within white society just as much as anywhere else. It happens between elites and plebs, between Croats and Serbs, between lefties and capitalists and between the go-getters and Mr Average.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 5 February 2010 9:27:45 AM
Spinner is right

I have prejudice against me because I am white middle aged women. I know it and I doubt anyone could mount an argument against it. Apparently I should be an accounts payable clerk or something. Like right, that just suits my skills and experience lol.

So we then have white man beating out Chinese Aussie who beats out me. It is not simply about race at all. There are so many layers including age, weight, sex and if anything culture rather than race. For example a Lebanese origin businessman has no obstacle but a Lebanese origin female muslim wearing a veil would. So not racial very often. I have had many bosses from so called minorities so seems odd they have special status when they are buying investment houses left and right while wearing designer suits. Oh gosh they are so DEPRIVED lol.

So eprhaps should move on except for Indigenous Australians but even for them we need a re-write. The authours of the story to date have been self indulgent twits.

We really have two cultures, western and Indigenous and racism exists between Westerners and Indigenous. In western culture there is prejudice..Spinner is correct along with individual. Creating too many problems where none exist.
Posted by TheMissus, Friday, 5 February 2010 2:11:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy