The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's wrong with the ETS and what do we do about it?

What's wrong with the ETS and what do we do about it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
“I'm not sure if to admire your optimism or be dismayed by your political bias, to the exclusion of meaningful policy.”

Sorry Examinator, I don’t understand what you mean.

“The issue in the Libs has nothing to do with the ETS.”

Yes it does. You see, that’s the really depressing thing about this – that many people do actually think that the policy position that Turnbull and Rudd have agreed upon has got nothing to do with the leadership debacle!

It is not a matter the Libs’ infighting being seen as more important than the ETS agreement, it is a matter of….’um, what ETS? Oh, that ETS. Oh, I’d forgotten all about that insignificant detail!!’

The flat rejection of AGW in the conservative ranks of the Libs has led them to be outraged by Turnbull agreeing to a Ruddite ETS. So you can hardly say that the ETS has nothing to do with the situation.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 30 November 2009 3:50:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am biased.
In favor of what I believe to be true and honest.
Not a political party including the one I am a member of.
I know we will pay for this, pay too much.
I am angry we stopped the solar rebate, think it is a fraud to do so.
Am truly concerned that we those who are not rich but not poor, will pay an unfair amount for this.
But I truly think we have no choice, we must reduce our outputs and improve our management of the planet.
For the first time in his leadership roll Turnbull has looked statesman like, yes he went too far, insulted too many.
But he was telling the truth, every word he has uttered was true.
Tomorrow Hockey will lead, he takes a death sentence for his trouble, he can not repair this shredded mess, he should not have to, in time he would have made it, not now but his party needs him.
But it needs to see the end of fools who put their rat bag ideas the ETS is a left wing conspiracy in front of their party behind them.
They are never going to live this down.
OUG your ramblings seem to make since compared to some offered by anti Turnbull forces, stretching it a bit but nearly true.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 30 November 2009 4:49:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator, you can't just say a post is not about if AGW exists, & expect to get away with it. Anyone with a moderate knowledge of math, physics, & chemistry, knows it doesn't, & that's where the problem lies.

People with the wrong education have just believed the "scientists", despite the Petition Project, signed by 31,000 US scientists, including 9000 PHDs, stating it was not true. You have been very poorly served by our ABC, & other greenie loving media on this.

Talk about the goings on in the Libs, why not try the goings on in Global Warming central, [sorry climate change now]. These blokes have been caught with their pants down, their fingers in the pie, & the emperors clocloths missing, all at once. Some will probably end up in the clink, & you still believe it, wow.

No one who had really looked at all the evidence could have believed it, unless it suited their ideology to do so. Now, even the greenie media are starting to back away, but most reluctantly.

Thank god some libs have the guts to put their future on the line, for a bit of truth. Pity none of the labor blokes, many who know how thick the BS has been spread, don't have the same guts.

It's a pity that Hockey is probably not smart enough to know what's what. Where's bomber Beasley, when we need him.

In a couple of years time, people will be changing their names to get some of the Global Warming dirt, off their records. Pity about the kids, who have had this cr4p fed into them by silly little girl school teachers. It may take a while for them to sort themselves out.

Interesting KRuddy & co are backing away from their double dissolution election. They know what else may shortly surface, with the scam, & know damn well, none of it would survive the harsh spotlight of a tough election campaign, with many of the public all ready waking up.

Communism, Y2K, Global Warming. I wonder what the next big con will be?
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 30 November 2009 5:21:37 PM
Examinator, you pose two questions. “What’s wrong with the ETS?” and “What do we do about it?”

I guess we need to be confident about the “question” before we can evaluate the answer. If the question was how do we reduce our carbon emissions? Then many will ask, How DOES the ETS reduce carbon emissions? And the answer is? I don’t know. Do you?

At this stage (according to a recent Galaxy Poll) I am in the 82% majority who can’t answer that question. I assume that if the government taxes us to the tune of $11bn a year, some will go to bureaucracy, some will go to legal compliance, some to carbon inspectors, some will go to compensation (at least in the short term), some will go to “new” green industries and some will go to the UN to create a fund to “help” developing nations. Since this tax will all go into general revenue, who knows what will go towards what it is intended, that is carbon reduction. How much and to what effect?

To answer to the first part of your question “What’s wrong with the ETS?”, we can’t give you an answer because we don’t understand it, therefore it doesn’t matter if it is good, bad, big, little or hoorayuktifah.

What to do with it? Defer it until the government is willing or able to explain “it”, that is the only answer at this stage.

Please note that, as per your “assumption close” I have not challenged AGW. That, my dear Sir, is another difficult question that has yet to be answered.

Perhaps your question should have been "why do we need an ETS?"
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 30 November 2009 5:38:36 PM
What is wrong with the ETS is that it is particularly bad for
small business, in particular those reliant on exports or those
competing with imports. Take agriculture, virtually every
input on a farm, has an electricity cost component, the same with
downstream processing of agricultural products. Whack up
electricity prices by 30%, costs, inflation will rise.

Who will benefit? Well it won't make a scrap of difference to
climate. The Govt will benefit, as it will have huge amounts
of money to use for pork barrelling, to buy votes at the next
elections.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 30 November 2009 6:46:40 PM
"What's wrong with the ETS?"

It's based off junk, fraudulent science and is a sinister tax based on said science!

"What do we do about it?"

Stop wasting electrons and creating more pollution talking about it.
Bury it deep in landfill where it belongs. So deep as never to be found by another corrupt, greedy, loony poly-tick ever agian.

To speak/write anymore about it should be a crime against humanity, punishable by death!
Posted by RawMustard, Monday, 30 November 2009 8:52:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy