The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So why do YOU have or want children eventually (if you do) ....really?

So why do YOU have or want children eventually (if you do) ....really?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
“…there is one thing I have noticed among the elderly people. The ones that never had children were the saddest and loneliest people by far.”

Suze, I wonder how real this correlation is.

It could be that if you know a person in a retirement doesn’t have kids or visitors, then you as a worker automatically, probably subconsciously, feel sorry for them and hence see them as being sad and lonely compared to others.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 9:48:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jeepers CJ, you’ve had a few accidents. No wonder you’ve only got one arm and one leg!
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 10:02:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very droll, Ludwig. Boom boom :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 10:35:17 PM
No Ludwig, it wasn't an observation, it was a fact. These people (the ones who could communicate well) told me this, time and time again.

I have been nursing for 30 years.
Do you have any idea how many elderly people I have spoken to and cared for over that time? More than I care to remember.

Unfortunately, elderly, lonely childless people are a fact of life.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 10:37:01 PM
So what you are implying Suze, is that people have kids to satisfy
their own self interest. I happen to agree with you, its true.

With CJ we have a different problem. It sounds like the bit of
dna that is associated with understanding contraception and how
it works, is missing :)
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 10:47:25 PM
Examinator
Parents are encouraged to be hands-off these days. Parenting does not seem to be valued for the pivotal role it plays in regulating society. It has morphed into something people juggle on the periphery of their job.

When the Federal Government rolled out its "Depression Prevention" program for infants, a major source of stress was termed "attachment disruption" which appears to be blamed on everything else but the fact that very young children are offloaded into daycare so early in their development. My theory is that attachment disruption works both ways - parents learn quickly to understand that modern consumer society dictates that they are expected to hand over the rearing of their offspring to outside sources.

If we learn as a society to extol the virtues and value of hands-on parenting, we may see more parents take pride in that role.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 24 November 2009 11:32:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy