The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Asylum Seekers, Where to Go?

Australian Asylum Seekers, Where to Go?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Sorry if I failed to convey the purpose of this thread to some readers. Not sure how the first respondent jumped to such conclusions but please keep the ridicule to yourselves if possible. I'm not joking. NZ can do without sex-tourist jokes after the latest school-teacher scandal.

Someone wrote on Monday that there were three sorts of criterion for which one might seek asylum: war, persecution, and/or natural disaster. Although mosquitoes are 'natural' and the effects of some bites can be 'disastrous' for years, that won't fly - too oblique, and neither will war because there simply isn't one here in Au. Persecution however, would apply to many Australians. So please provide information of the sort mentioned in the op for Australians who wish to flee from ongoing persecution by the government/s.

Also recognise that Sri Lanka has clean air and space and beautiful beaches, and the persecuted in Australia have very little freedom beyond living on the street, in prison or in the hospital/asylum if you'll excuse the pun. Let's not shame Australia further with the details. Where can we go to? What destinations beyond hell are open to asylum seekers is the purpose of this thread.

Civilised nations might include Sri Lanka as most of us are probably not Tamil Tigers, (ask Arthur C. Clarke I guess) and for health reasons of my own, equatorial/tropical zones are part of the obligations of resettlement, because one would be expected to get healthy and fit and contribute to society ASAP. Others who may wish to escape from Australian persecution may still be in good health, so all legitimate information would welcome.

If I sell the car next week, I could probably raise a total of around $1500 to cover the transport costs and costs to survive on arrival. Where would this have any chance of success? I have twelve days left to decide on the destination if any exists and if I can survive that long.
Posted by Seano, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 9:49:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure if Seano meant this
thread to be "tongue-in-cheek,"
or not. I take things at face-value.

Anyway, I've found a website that will
answer all of the questions that
Seano asked in his opening post:

http://www.expatexchange.com/index.cfm

It's all sorts of advice from Aussie ex-pats
who've been successful in finding jobs and
places to live - overseas. Useful stuff that
will help anyone interested in leaving Oz.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 12:53:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seano “I hope to receive responses from those who have lived for some extended time in months or perhaps years in the suggested destinations,”

I have lived in UK and USA as well as Australia for periods of years.

In all honesty, I would rather live or die by my own efforts in USA than pretend that a bunch of nanny-state officials would serve my needs better with health and welfare services of hugely inefficient size which are devoid of any accountability and all funded by excessive tax rates (both direct and indirect).

I have also visited Africa. Rhodesia was once a jewel of a place. I was there a week after Mugabe came to power. I was offered a long term contract but declined on the basis I anticipated how (the communist minded) Mugabe would behave and I would not put myself and my family in harms way… I was, sadly for millions of Rhodesians of every race or tribe, right in my assessment.

Presently the Philippines hold some attractions but we (my wife and I, she is half Spanish, half Filipino) might prefer to spend just part of the year there.

My daughter is married to a fellow who is half Mauritian. Perhaps a warm and remote island would suit.

Mainland Europe would be a nice place, if not for the French, who are such bores, the Germans who have never got over losing World scale Wars, the Serbs, who have a dreadfully over developed sense of self entitlement, the boring Belgians or the suicidal Scandinavians. I suppose that leaves Austria (well the Hapsburgs did sponsor Mozart), Spain (love the women), Italy (such a friendly bunch) , Malta (another friendly bunch, since they have got rid of Mintoff) and Portugal (who Britain has, at least, never had a war with).

Thailand seems a pleasant place, although I have never been there.

I suppose those Sri Lankan Tamils thought India was too “alien” for them.

China and Japan and Korea are all rather xenophobic.

Finally, Canada is too pretentious and has an over developed inferiority complex toward USA.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 1:09:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for the link, Foxy. I will have a read over the site through the day and see if I can glean some information on the likelihood of light-skinned asylum seekers being granted permission to remain indefinitely and live life without the barriers I have been unable to get over in modern Australia.

As it happens, I have mostly worked 12/7 for these past three years on expat sites, with the primary goal of finding a way out of this country, but unlike the asylum seekers with hopes of getting IN to Australia, the expats who get OUT of Australia seem to fall into five main categories:

1. Rich with money to pay for life expenses.
2. Retirees or disabled on foreign government pensions.
3. Employees of multinationals or foreign governments.
4. University graduates with or without experience.
5. 'Greencard' style spouses of native citizens.

The first three have no need for a local income, the fourth requires a very large expense in time and money before a work visa might be granted (as far as I have found in the countries I have lived in previously or examined online) and the fifth is something that I could never compromise the sanctity of marriage to take part in.

On the other hand, are those Sri Lankans stranded in Indonesia now required to meet any of the expat qualifications?

It is on the basis of seeking asylum rather than the expat options that are beyond my budget and status as an Australian on NewStart for just over three years, that I inquire as to the possibilities of getting OUT in comparison to the possibilities of getting IN.

PS: Thank you to the moderator who was good enough to fix my accidental double-post when I clicked the wrong button and didn't press ESC quick enough earlier this morning. An example that there is so much good about Australia, and it is sad to have to say goodbye soon.
Posted by Seano, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 1:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok Seano, why do you want to leave Australia?

Why do you have only "12 days left" to decide?

What do you hope to gain elsewhere that you can't get here?

Judging from your posts (if it's all real, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) your mental state does not seem in good order. Are you currently receiving any medical assistance to help you cope with life?

Often there can seem to be no way out of a situation, but in the cool light of day and with proper assistance solutions can often be found.
Posted by TZ52HX, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 4:06:53 PM
First, may I thank Col Rouge for the excellent suggestions, some of which I would like to rest my hopes on, if only I had known three years ago before I made the silly mistake of returning. Most importantly, I must say I appreciate your reading comprehension skills.

---o0o---

1. 'Ok Seano, why do you want to leave Australia?'
To live amongst civilised people who can understand plain English.

2. Why do you have only "12 days left" to decide?
After three years of Centrelink incompetence and lack of accountability due to pathetic excuses, the Ides of November will be a special day for me personally.

3. 'What do you hope to gain elsewhere that you can't get here?'
A civilised society where I might regain my health and resume a productive life with what little I have left of this body and mind, and escape from the constant pain and relentless administrivia.

Also, the security of knowing that I might be cared for in the event of some unexpected collision with a rogue motorist on the streets and similar sorts of misfortune.

4. 'Judging from your posts (if it's all real, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) your mental state does not seem in good order. Are you currently receiving any medical assistance to help you cope with life?'
I am not the one with a penchant for sheep.

5. 'Often there can seem to be no way out of a situation, but in the cool light of day and with proper assistance solutions can often be found.'

That is why I was inclined by the 'asylum seekers' threads herein to post this thread. After three years of watching the 'cool light of day' with improper assistance, I have should have as much right as the Tamils to seek a solution, but maybe my rights are not good headlines.
Posted by Seano, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 4:30:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy