The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Middle-Aged Men and the Liberal Party ...

Middle-Aged Men and the Liberal Party ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
I read somewhere:

"No political party is perfect
being made up of imperfect people."

I find it rather disappointing
that the Liberal Party currently offers
little in the way of alternatives to
distinguish itself from Labor. It seems
to be more concerned with power struggles,
and sheer desperation.

Menzies definitely wasn't a saint, as Cornflower
pointed out - but at least he did have wit.
I remember reading about the time - when Menzies was being
heckled during a speech he was making in a
public hall. The heckler called out something to
the effect:

"I wouldn't vote for you if you were the Angel Gabriel!"
To which Menzies quickly replied:

"If I was the Angel Gabriel, you wouldn't be in my
constituency!"

Australia needs genuine alternatives.
If she doesn't get them from the Liberal Party
and soon, people won't see any reason to vote
for them in the next election either.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 October 2009 7:08:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy
You naughty sexist, ageist you,
Firstly women do run major companies and aspire to run more. Those that do display support the same predatory (myopic focus). Therefore the gender argument is a red herring/irrelevant.
All parties have powerful non middle aged men back room gnomes etc.

Objectively it's the attitude/philosophy that you disdain and for good reason.

It's interesting to note that neither party is(philosophically) true to their name . If you consider what the US consider the meaning of Liberalism its nearer stated founding philosophy of the Liberal Party in *relative terms for the times*. Ming didn't want the English (philosophical) concept conservatism *of the time*. i.e. an elite ruling class.

However, times have changed and the Liberal party has philosophically hasn't and is now the conservative party of now.

The ALP has gone from representing 70% of the workers to now effectively the New Liberal party that relies on support of Business due to the Golden rule 'the group with the gold rules' = Big Business.

The problem with this that the political skew is right of centre.
To combat this one needs to understand the Strengths and weaknesses, other threats (SWOT) of their ECONOMIC based position. Economics is built on unlimited growth in a finite world.

Every one understand the process of an idea... from scepticism... to ridicule ...to acceptance. All this is predicated on knowledge to me a responsibility of all citizens. watch http://www.chrismartenson.com)the best quick and easy (no economics knowledge needed) description of how economics works I've ever seen.

The scariest thing he shows is the link between our money system and exponential population growth not just here but WW. He rightly and graphically shows how business as we know it, is drive us into a hole we may never escape (or survive to be dramatic) [my emphasis].

All due to the magic pudding syndrome (ever increasing consumption of energy and resources in a finite world). It boils down to we are living on debt, anyway look at the site and watch the lessons they run from a few minutes to 12 minutes each
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 29 October 2009 7:42:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly it seems that middle aged men still take the fore in business and politics. Although women and younger people are starting to make an impact in all these sectors they are still a long way off from becoming as powerful as the men. It's a shame as I believe these categories of people ie the youth and females can really bring something innovative and fresh to the fore of politics and business. I think it is a slow process but one day, the landscape will be more balanced.
Posted by robby22, Thursday, 29 October 2009 8:23:15 PM
Middle-aged men run all mainstream Australian political parties - except, of course, for the Greens.

Just sayin'...
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 29 October 2009 8:41:34 PM
robby22, "females can really bring something innovative and fresh to the fore of politics and business."

Would you be thinking of Sallyanne Atkinson, the former Liberal Lord Mayor of Brisbane and more recently of ABC Learning fame?

It is ridiculous to think in terms of gender and age, that is si last century. Isn't it about finding people of ability and vision? Of course if the Liberal Party wants to continue along its old ways, take what you get and never you mind, then it will remain in opposition or more likely, fade off into the sunset.

After the John Howard experience, the party really needs to sit down and figure out if it is really about liberalism or not. Apart from that, the liberals can't always be blaming the electorate for electing the wrong government can they?
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 29 October 2009 10:23:25 PM
Dear Cornflower,

You've hit the nail on the head with
your last post.

This thread is not about gender, or age.
But about perceptions reflected in the
media.

Some of the questions that are being asked are:

1) What does the Liberal Party stand for these days?
2) How does it distinguish itself from Labor?
3) What does it offer that is unique and different?
4) Why should we not keep the current Government in power?
5) Can the Liberal Party give the country genuine alternatives
to the current government's policies?
6) Can the Liberal Party give the country a great leader in
these difficult times?
7) What are the Liberal Party's core values?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 October 2009 10:51:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy