The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > secular humanism

secular humanism

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
Secular humanism has been mentioned in our exchanges. Sometimes it is described accurately sometime not. It is not the same as atheism. Secular humanists are atheists but are more than merely atheists. Although secular humanists have no official creed one can state the following positions which almost all secular humanists would agree with.

Secular humanism:

1. Rejects ideas of a creator god, believed by some to control human life and answer prayers.
2. Holds that a person has only one life, since the evidence for personal existence before conception or after death is totally unconvincing.
3. Considers that morality comes from the conscience and values of the community rather than any divine source.
4. Considers that science provides a more authentic understanding about the origin and nature of the universe than that found in ancient scriptures.
5. Re-examines knowledge and ideas continually, to achieve ways of improving the living conditions of humanity and the world environment.
6. Tries to maintain an open mind, recognising that human knowledge is never the final answer, and are prepared to live with uncertainty and accept that we may be wrong.

I consider the above positions more reasonable than any supernatural mumbo-jumbo. How do you feel about them?
Posted by david f, Monday, 27 July 2009 4:52:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f,
i would include with 1.
that secular humanism:
accepts the mythology of a creator god
as a repository of knowledge.
Posted by whistler, Monday, 27 July 2009 5:28:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Davidf

1. Rejects ideas of a creator god, believed by some to control human life and answer prayers.

The fantasy of evolution takes a lot more faith than believing that creation points to a Creator.

2. Holds that a person has only one life, since the evidence for personal existence before conception or after death is totally unconvincing.

Won't help having this belief if you end up in hell.

3. Considers that morality comes from the conscience and values of the community rather than any divine source.

So if your conscience says paedophille is okay then so be it. This is exactly what happens in some communities

4. Considers that science provides a more authentic understanding about the origin and nature of the universe than that found in ancient scriptures.

True science confirms the Scriptures. Any fool knows we did not come from monkeys. We are awaiting the next fraudulent 'missing link'. Don't hold your breath.

5. Re-examines knowledge and ideas continually, to achieve ways of improving the living conditions of humanity and the world environment.

The fruit of secularism has done more harm than good to society. Fatherless kids, numerous amounts of slaughtering the unborn and perverted behaviour are all fruits of secularism. The track record for improvement to human life by secularist is atrocious.

6. Tries to maintain an open mind, recognising that human knowledge is never the final answer, and are prepared to live with uncertainty and accept that we may be wrong.

Human secularism holds as many if not more dogmas than most religions. Look at the laughable global warming dogmas being espoused. A few years ago it was global cooling. Secularism has a track record of dogmas no matter how destructive they are.
Posted by runner, Monday, 27 July 2009 5:48:44 PM
davidf
I indeed define myself as a secular humanist. You seem to have some concerns with my practical application or the this Philosophy.
Just as a point of differentiation SH do not define themselves as atheists or a subset there of. As you know we share some of the same views but there are clear if somewhat nuanced differences.

I do remember having a similar discussion some time back with the president/founder of the Aust Atheists Foundation.
At the time the difference in first hand experiences with shamanistic cultures (PNG) emphasized the differences in our two philosophies.

Runner,
Sorry old son the topic is about secular Humanism not SH V your brand of Religion.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 27 July 2009 6:08:18 PM
runner

1.The belief in evolution requires a lot more rationality and reason than the fantasy that is creationism.

2.One of my greatest regrets is that if I am right no one will know. If I bump into you in hell runner be sure to gloat wont you.

3.What communities? Those phsycho godbothering cults in the US maybe? Hardly "the community" are they. I think David was referring to the majority of the community not just some nutjob priests or weird koolaid drinkers. No one with a conscience thinks pedophilia is ok.

4.What rubbish. True science has nothing to do with any "scriptures". It relys on reproducable and testable arguments which is far more than can be said for religion. True science ignores you godbotherers and your scriptures as the crazy ranters you are.

5.What like the fruits of superstition and faith. The wars, the torture, the murders, the theft, the crusades, the inquisition, the witch burnings, the middle east, northern ireland, kashmir, bosnia, gaza, 9-11, the klan, backyard abortions, ignorance, impeding science and progress, gallileo, intolerance and persecution of homosexuals and others, bigotry and elitism, I could go on forever but im running out of words allowed.

6.Godbotherers are in no position to argue nor accuse others of dogma. As you are so fond of your scriptures heres a quote. Look to the mote in thine own eye.

I think secularism is very much what David f stated and would add that secularists dont have any problem with whatever you want to believe as long as you keep it to yourself and dont try to force your views on other people. Secularists believe in total freedom as long as it harms no other people. And that includes twisting their minds with lies and airy fairy superfriends in the sky that hold sway over all we are and all we do.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 27 July 2009 6:34:01 PM
Dear Examinator,

The source for my 6 positions of humanism is Max Wallace who is the Director of the Australia New Zealand National Secular Association. His book, The Purple Economy: supernatural charities, tax and the state, was published December 2007. He is an online opinion author. He spoke before the Humanist Association of Queensland, and there was no disagreement expressed with his six points. All the secular humanists that I have discussed the subject with have told me they considered themselves atheists.

I did not have you in mind when I posted this string, but I would very much like to hear more about your practical application of this philosophy.

Dear Whistler,

Where do you get your idea that secular humanism accepts the mythology of a creator god as a repository of knowledge? That is not my understanding of secular humanism.

Dear runner,

Take two aspirins, and call me in the morning.
Posted by david f, Monday, 27 July 2009 6:34:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy