The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > secular humanism

secular humanism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25
  13. All
david f,
where do I get the idea
that secular humanism
accepts the mythology of a creator god
as a repository of knowledge?

from the same place you got the idea that it is:
"more reasonable to assume
that God is merely a human invention".
Posted by whistler, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 9:45:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Horus,

I would have thought that the 'X' factor
as you put it was fairly obvious. It's
an 'ism' which emphasizes the importance of
human beings - their nature and their place
in the universe. There have been many varieties
of humanism, both religious and nonreligious
but all Humanists agree that people are the centre
of their study.

This is not the case with Islam.
Islam is the Arabic word for "submission." It teaches
a believe in the One God and the acceptance of Muhammad
as His messenger. Muslim is an Arabic word that means
"one who submits to God.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 9:46:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Davidf, well said, couldn't agree more.
Posted by Ozymandias, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 11:23:48 AM
Davidf,

I consider myself an athiest.

By my lack of belief in a god, ipso facto the rest of your creed follows.

However, secular humanism is more than just that. It is an ethical basis upon which much of modern liberal society is formed.

Man has the right to do whatever pleases him as long as whatever he does, does not impact negatively on others.

This is essentially where secularism and the church part ways, as the church tries to mandate what is permissable in normal private life.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 11:35:54 AM
I agree with this point especially,

5. Re-examines knowledge and ideas continually, to achieve ways of improving the living conditions of humanity and the world environment.

You can't base your society on something that keeps changing - nothing would ever get done. That's why it's the religious who achieve great things, the humanists like Stalin, feminists (abortion), and Hitler only cause death. These humanists all believed they would "improve the living conditions of humanity and the world environment", and they put human knowledge before divine, universal truths.

It's OK to believe in the fairytale that we evolved from slugs, but rational people know this can never be disproven, so why push this faith-based belief down our throats.
Posted by TRUTHNOW78, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 12:20:07 PM
Foxy,
I don’t know that the differences are so “obvious”, see Philo’s post above, he uses the word “obvious” too, but with a somewhat different conclusion.
“It is obvious that humanism has adopted teachings as taught by Jesus Christ 1300 years earlier…” i.e. God is behind it all!

What I am gleaning of SH is that it doesn’t differ too much from any other ism .
We may not have the Spanish inquisition, but we have it’s little brother –in the various commissions and covenants that increasingly regulate our behaviour ;regulate every thing from the words we are allowed to use ( words previously in regular use, now proscribed); to parenting (smacking a child is becoming increasingly suspect); to how one is allowed to die (euthanasia) .

And, we have some groups that do a pretty good impersonation of a SH clergy !

May be it has less to do with the ism and more to do with human nature—if, there is such a thing?
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 1:15:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25