The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Guantanamo II. This time it's Obama.

Guantanamo II. This time it's Obama.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Sancho, Fractelle, Horus.

I agree - for a long time I followed the presidential campaigns compulsively, back before even the democratic nominees had made their faces known. I'd been hoping for an Obama victory.
I was happy with the Obama V McCain matchup, because in my estimation, those two options were the best of the bunch.

But I never even for a second accepted 'wait and see' for Bush or the Republicans. When something stinks, it stinks.

Obama's actively defending the right to fly people into Bagram prison from other countries, hold them without trial and give them an even less transparent process than was given to Guantanamo inmates. At least the Guantanamo inmates had a sham process to appease the public. Obama's not even doing that.

If it was just Afghani prisoners I'd accept it as an inevitable consequence of a war I support as necessary.
But flying them in from other countries?

Hell no.

I'm not saying Obama's worse than Bush, and I like many things he's doing. The reversals of Bush's stem cell decisions were fantastic and on most policy fronts I'd support Obama.

That doesn't mean this isn't disgusting.

I'd love to say all is well, but we can't accept this because we 'like' Obama. If you haven't already, I'd urge you to read the link I put in the first post. It explains a helluva lot more about this.

I checked the links and I'm also concerned about this -

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/08/criticism/index.html

Keith Olbermann, the left-wing equivalent of Bill O'Reilly (albeit more objective, naturally) who has been an ardent supporter of Obama's, is disgusted by this too.

Obama's arguing that patriot-act style surveillance on American citizens should not only continue, but that people burned by it shouldn't be able to sue the government. Ever.

I still think Obama's far better than Bush and I think it has the potential to be the best thing for the world in a quite a while.

But only if people force it to be.
In his campaign, Obama responded to the public mood. That needs to be maintained.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 13 April 2009 10:36:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TRTL. Obama is a puppet of the Global corporates.In the next few months you will realise this.He promised to repeal the Patriot Act and has done the reverse.He promised to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan but has scaled up these wars.

War is all about money.What is the point of spending $ billions on R&D and not getting a return for their actual use?It is the Reserve Banksters who now control the US Congress and they loan all the money to the US Govt,who in turn buy the weapons from the dealers.

US contractors get paid for blowing up Iraq and paid again for the reconstruction.US oil producers will also get cheap oil in the process with a lot of backhanders and nepotism to keep everyone happy.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 13 April 2009 11:08:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew Jackson Pres of the US 1816-36."If the American people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system,there would be a revolution before the morning."

Abraham Lincoln printed $400 million in green backs [debt and interest free]instead of borrowing from the International Banks.He was assassinated and congress continued to borrow from them.

Thomas Jefferson." I believe the banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies.If the American people allow private banks to control the issue of currency,firstly by inflation and then by deflation,the banks and corps that will grow up around them,will deprive the people of all prosperity until their children will wake up homeless in the continent their fathers conquered."

Woodrow Wilson who was conned into letting the modern Fed Res own and control the US dollar was later to lament that he'd sold out his country.Wilson instigated the modern Federal Res system of banking.

JFK had actually printed $4 billion green backs in the name of congress,he was also assassinated.

The Fed Res now has strangle hold on the US political system as witnessed by the fact that only 11% or 55 members of congress have the courage to push for an audit to see what they have been up to.

http://www.larsonsworld.com/library/articles/tschauf_fedres.html

Support Ron Paul in the Auditing of the US Fed Res. http://www.ronpaul.com/
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 7:33:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Right Turn Left Turn Tenhun,
I was watching the senate select comittee on alt energy. The dates and time fraims being discussed showed me that the public is treated like mushrooms. There is only 2 ways to control people. Love or Fear. Beurocrats and the media control the politicions not vise versa. The method in use at the moment is fear. So don't worry remember you are only told what they decide you need to know. As we let God work out the future remember, God works for the good of them that love him BUT not all things are good. We are all in the same boat regardless what we chose to believe.
It is far better to count your blessings then to give your self a heart attack over something you can't change.
Posted by Richie 10, Friday, 1 May 2009 10:03:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TRTL,

I don't believe someone like Obama could, in his heart, support or condone what's going on at Bagram.

Maybe there's a reason why he's not shutting it down. Maybe he knows that officially vetoing such an operation will just mean it pops up somewhere else ... perhaps a little closer to home. Better the devil you know? I'm guessing he's trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 1 May 2009 1:20:01 PM
Fear not TurnRightThenLeft,

From the latest "Obama knows best" report:

"Moving quickly to release Chinese Uighur terrorists into the United States, Obama administration officials have, for the second time, overridden objections of federal agencies responsible for national security.

"The first time the White House overrode the inter-agency panel it created from all the national security agencies to review all the cases of the Guantanamo Bay prisoners. That panel found that the seventeen Uighurs, members of the East Turkestan Islamic Movement captured at an al-Queda training camp in Pakistan, were too dangerous to release in the United States.

"Now according to a federal agency source who requested anonymity the White House has also overridden opposition to the release from both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.

"Beginning yesterday and continuing today, Obama administration officials are briefing key members of Congress on the release, which may happen as early as next week. There apparently has been no decision on where the Uighurs will be turned loose. Earlier reports suggested they could be released in Alexandria, Virginia or Washington, D.C."

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/025911.php#respond

Obama knows better than the inter-agency panel he set up and the FBI and the DHS, which is comforting to all of us to have such an omniscient leader.

So you don't have to worry anymore because the terrorists will be safe now.

"He's gonna change things...
Rearrange things...
Obama's gonna change the world."
Posted by KMB, Friday, 1 May 2009 2:43:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy