The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should compensation be handed back?

Should compensation be handed back?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
According to the smh Cornelia Rau has been wandering around the middle east after eluding her carers and refusing assistance.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/cornelia-rau-locked-up-in-jordan-20090220-8dm6.html

This raises the question about her being awarded compensation for being wrongly detained. She apparently deliberately set out to deceive our authorities for a long time and yet she gets compensation for that.

The latest episodes prove she is cunning and quite caperble of deceiving her carers, so how can the carers be held responsible.

It is a sad case, but somehow I do not think we should be compensating her for her deceit.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 21 February 2009 10:39:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo I agree

All the bleeding heart refugee advocate whiners who got on their high horses and supported this "grifter" should pay the money back on her behalf.

Why should my taxes be squandered on giving a "look at me I'm out with the pixies" cheap con-bitch a free ride?

Answer

They should not... and nor should yours.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 21 February 2009 11:37:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, I don't think that someone who has a mental illness can be judged so easily or harshly.

Many with mental illness evade health care, their carers/case managers and may go through stages where they refuse medication. Just ask anyone who has been involved with law enforcement - many with mental illness are well known to police. It is often police who arrange for assistance for those who have temporarily gone off the rails. This is the nature of some mental illness conditions, particularly schizophrenia.

The compensation in the Rau case was for being wrongfully detained at the Baxter Detention Centre.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 21 February 2009 11:47:02 AM
Pelican is absolutely right Ms Rau was compensated for incompetance and inappropriate imprisonment by the immigration system and the operators of the Baxter camp proven under law.
What she has done subsequently is a seperate issue and has nothing to do with her compensation pay out.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 21 February 2009 3:34:09 PM
Dear Banjo,

I fully agree with Pelican. Rau's compensation was for
wrongful detention. And as Pelly rightly points out
people with a mental illness should not be judged
so harshly.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 21 February 2009 3:34:39 PM
Agree in full with Pelican, Examinator and Foxy.

If anything her wanderings are indicative of her mental state, all the money in the world won't buy her peace of mind.

Having my own difficulties with mental illness, I feel nothing but compassion for Cornelia and have to wonder why Banjo even raised this as an issue.
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 21 February 2009 4:06:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy