The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Elephant in the Room

The Elephant in the Room

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Why as a society are we doing so little to tackle this obvious problem which will eventually affect not only ourselves but everybody in this world who is dear to us?

Below are 2 links which state this problem in a fable.

http://www.nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon.html

The second link is an audio of the entire story for those who would rather listen to the story then read it.

http://www.nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon.mp3

I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on tackling this problem which is an obvious elephant in the room scenario but most people seem to take it for granted and just accept their fate. With today’s modern medicine and with all future outcomes pointing out that fixing this problem is only a matter of time why is it then that it is such a low priory?

Below is a link to the Methuselah Mouse prize which rewards scientific research into life extension.

http://www.mprize.org/

and for those who are interested this link is a presentation by one of the men leading the fight Aubrey De Grey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ

Do most users of OLO taking dying for granted and just accept it as part of life? Or do you see it like I do that it is an unnecessary part of life that with time we will be able to over come and thus change the world in the most amazing way.
Posted by EasyTimes, Thursday, 19 February 2009 9:13:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Easytimes

I fully accept dying as part of life's cycle.

1. I don't want to live forever - unless I am eternally young, fit and healthy.

But more seriously,

2. What a crowded planet we would become...; the cycle of life is just that and vital to adaptation and evolution of all species.

I find the idea of immortality selfish and ultimately static.
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 20 February 2009 10:17:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To coherently argue for or against the case of ‘curing’ death, we must first be explicit about what aspects of humanity/the human condition we hold in high value. Then we must examine whether, on a large time scale, the removal of death from the ‘life cycle’ would add or detract from these aspects.

I’ve started a list of aspects that people may find important. This list is just a start (and is biased toward the need for death): please expand this list to include things that you find important and your musings on how an infinite existence would impact upon these. Also, if you feel the need, challenge my views of what is integral to humanity: it is hard to be objective about these things and what I’ve written is influenced by my irrational ‘values’ as just as much as logic.

Evolution (or incremental improvement):
The lack of death, combined with limited space on Earth would require that each subsequent generation produce less offspring. This, in the medium-term, would eventually reach the stage where reproduction must stop.

With the cessation of the transference and combination of genes, the biological makeup of the human species would remain static.

This would not be a problem if we think that we have reached the pinnacle of evolution and have no further to develop. My personal opinion is that we have a long way to go: physically; but more so cognitively.

Technology:
The article that the poster refers to refers to technology as a passive process:

“Every once in a while, somebody gets a good idea. Others copy the idea, adding to it their own improvements.”
and
“Meanwhile, the wheel of invention kept turning.”

What the author neglects to mention is that the many achievements of humanity occur as a result of the knowledge that we have a limited time on this earth. The closer we get to a deadline, the quicker we work and the more creative we become. The removal of a deadline would likely result in the eventual stasis of technological advancement.

(post continued)
Posted by jaranet, Friday, 20 February 2009 1:36:02 PM
(from previous post)

Some would argue that the need for advancing technology is not central to the existence of humans. My own opinion is that our achievements act as a testament to the creativity and intellect of the human race: it gives an indication of how we are ‘special’ and different to other living organisms.

Further thoughts:
If we stopped reproducing we would have the cessation of evolution. If we keep reproducing (which is very likely… for obvious reasons) then we run into major problems with the balance of matter on the earth (and eventually the universe):

The law of “conservation of matter” (i.e. if something is created from matter, then that matter must come from somewhere) indicates that it would be incredibly unwise to allow any reproducing organism to have everlasting life. Followed to its logical conclusion, this would result in the consumption of all available material in favour of allowing the reproduction of said organism.

This would, on a large enough timescale, have all molecules being converted into humans. I don’t know the exact ramifications for this, but I’m imagining planets being slowly converted into giant writhing balls of tightly packed human forms, and space being populated with no other matter than people aimlessly drifting.

This could problem may be overcome if we take into account the theory that space is infinite, and hence, there will be an infinite number of habitable locations. However, without the technology to reach these locations, we just slowly consume that which is around us and slowly spread through the universe like a locust swarm.

This would negatively another aspect I see as important to human existence: quality of life.

Please expand and challenge!:
As I say, this is just a quick start to the list - please comment if you want to expand the list or challenge my views of what is central to the human experience.
Posted by jaranet, Friday, 20 February 2009 1:36:43 PM
EasyTimes
You are a dreamer but a good dreamer! I like this dream but it will take some time, at the moment we have no choice.
Fractelle
I do not believe you say the truth, that you really accept dying as part of life's cycle.
NO I DO NOT ACCEPT THE DEATH but I can not do anything to avoid it, I do not know any way to avoid the death.

EasyTimes
Send me 1000 years at begin as a little gift.
Humans have spent their life to create weapons to kill each other and they do very little to win the death.
Stop all stimulus packs, give the money to fight the death!
You know I am close to sixty ...!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Friday, 20 February 2009 1:53:48 PM
ASymeonakis

Quite simply: Yes I do.

Maybe it depends on how much contact you have with death.

My father died when I was still quite young.

Since then I have lost two grandmothers and most recently an Aunt. Due to incurable illness my mother will also pass from this planet within the next year or so.

I also used to work in public housing and discovering the occasional dead tenant was a part of my work as an on-call officer.

Also I have studied the natural sciences at tertiary level and see death as part of life - just read up on eco-systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosystem

I do not take any morbid delight in any of the above but I accept the reality of death.

I see death a very much a part of life. Without death our world would stagnate. My only wish is that I die peacefully in my sleep.

Cheers
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 20 February 2009 2:11:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy