The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia Day - what does it mean to you?

Australia Day - what does it mean to you?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
It’s coming up to “Australia Day” we’ll celebrate ‘origins’, we'll celebrate ‘heroes’ and what it means to be Australian. Some rightly see it as invasion day and would prefer Jan 1st.
But what we won’t celebrate are the ordinary folk. Those talented individuals who don’t appear in news papers … Like my daughter who would play Advance Australia what ever in three part harmony …on her nose flute. That is were she not perpetually suffering from hay-fever, allergies, sinusitis or nasal tract infections from all that pollen and “golden/red” dust. And so depressed because she worked for BHP.

Then there’s the lad from down the road not yet 15 and already he’s rated by the neighbours and police as “the most evil little basted they’ve ever seen”.
The other day he had a car up on blocks pinched the wheels, And blackmailed the driver behind to buy them for $50 per corner…all before the lights changed…now that’s entrepreneurial talent!

Let’s not forget the father who gave his 14yo daughter $200 for Christmas with which she bought two litres of no name vodka and10 cans of spray paint got wasted, had sex with 4 boys in one night, then the artistic bit, “tagged” 487 sites in two weeks…

I’m reliably informed (by a friend of a friend of some one who lives next door to it) that the cult in the next suburb has marriage ceremonies that involve old men under aged girls and warm decapitated chickens now that’s imaginative.

Lastly the local politician who turned his federal communication budget into a CMC enquiry. Not be out done they came up with the verdict “not enough evidence to sustain a conviction” not innocent not guilty but two bob each way…How Aussie can you be?

The only reason our notables seem more numerous is because of the size of the base.
Yep it’s SATIRE
Australia is a REAL place. There is no one uniquely Australian character. Australia is a conglomeration of diverse races, cultures, the good the bad and the ugly …viva la diferance . (Excuse my French)
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 24 January 2009 9:46:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
1. We must cut our ties with british monarchy if we want to speak for an indepented state, for REAL AUSTRALIA DAY.
2. We must remember the genoside of aborigines people, the deaths, suffering and humuliation of them.
3. Modern Australia is migrant's nation, a multinational, multicultural country, and that THE RACISTS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS ENEMIES OF AUSTRALIA.
4. We are lucky to live in a multicultural, multinational society, because we learn to accept, unterstand and cooperate each other for mutual benefits
Sooner or later other countries have to learn to live as we live.

Antonios Symonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Saturday, 24 January 2009 9:34:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It’s invasion day.

That’s all.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 24 January 2009 9:49:27 PM
Personally I think its a great time for thanking God for such a beautiful country that is imperfect but certainly a lot better than most. That is why so many want to come here legally or illegally.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 24 January 2009 9:56:35 PM
Our Flag

Author: Unknown

Our Flag wears the stars that blaze at night,
In our Southern skies of blue,
And a little old flag in the corner,
That’s part of our heritage too.

It’s for the English, the Scots and the Irish,
Who were sent to the ends of the earth,
The rogues and schemers, the doers and dreamers,
Who gave modern Australia its birth.

And you, who are shouting to change it,
You don’t seem to understand,
It’s the flag of our laws and our language,
Not the flag of a faraway land.

Though there are plenty of people who'll tell you,
How when Europe was plunged into night,
That little old flag in the corner,
Was their symbol of freedom and light.

It doesn’t mean we owe allegiance,
To a forgotten imperial dream,
We’ve the stars to show where we’re going,
And the old flag to show where we’ve been.

It’s only an old piece of bunting,
It’s only an old piece of rag,
But there are thousands who’ve died for its honour,
And shed of their blood for OUR FLAG
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Saturday, 24 January 2009 10:55:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear examinator,

"Australia Day - what does it mean to me?"

My parents set a precedent that has much to do with
the paths I've taken. They showed my brothers and me
that it is possible for people to change their lives,
and venture into the unknown. They came to Australia
as refugees, after World War II. I was born
in Australia.

Australia didn't always have a multicultural society.
However it does today. And this is one of the most
unique and rewarding aspects of living in Australia.
The nature of being Australian is to be part of this
diversity.

The wide and varied gathering of "identities" is in
keeping with the sense of potential and openess so
many people enjoyed on coming here. I feel
privileged not only to have been born here, but also
to have found my own sense of belonging. That's what
I celebrate on "Australia Day."
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 24 January 2009 11:18:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy