The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia Day - what does it mean to you?

Australia Day - what does it mean to you?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Examinator,

We celebrate as our "national" day the date that the British dumped convicts here( because they couldn't send them to America any longer) and we still retain a foreign monarch as head of state. Change the date, and celebrate something else, Republic Day hopefully.
Posted by mac, Sunday, 25 January 2009 1:47:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Meredith I think you might be confusing Australia Day with Anzac day?

For me, being an immigrant, I look upon this as particularly significant to the settlement of Australia by Britain and the bounty of skills and institutions brought here by both convict and free-settlers to establish civilization in another Continental colony, since turned self-governing and free to choose its own destiny.

ASymeonakis “We must cut our ties with british monarchy if we want to speak for an indepented state,”

We are independent,

Pretending to fix what is not broken is a notion which costs more than the indifference which it achieves.

btw I am not a monarchist but, just as saying sorry was an exercise in cynical tokenism, so to would be the pointless break from the British Monarchy or redesigning the National Flag.

Gosh Examinator, if that is all you have to comment upon, I would suggest you try to grab one of those bottles of vodka you spoke of , run a bath (don’t worry about the water saving regulations), get in the bath, drink the vodka and slash your wrists
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 25 January 2009 1:50:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, I'm not Col. He is who and what I think of... My grandfather is, in my eyes, why I am here in Australia.

I also think of our flag... and his war stuff.

Its just me man... I could write an essay on the suffering and great work of my ancestor convicts and settlers but I don't think of that as there may not have even been an Australia here as we know it anyway w/o men like my Great Uncle and Grandfather
Posted by meredith, Sunday, 25 January 2009 2:01:31 PM
Antonios.....

you said:

3. Modern Australia is migrant's nation, a multinational, multicultural country, and that THE RACISTS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS ENEMIES OF AUSTRALIA.

Rubbish... modern Australia's greatest ENEMY is pathetic migrant ethnics who bring their ethnic squabbles to Australia and mess up our tennis by throwing chairs and abuse at each other.. THIRD year in a row.

Then we have your mob.. "Greeks and Macedonians".. sorry mate.. I am so disinterested in that issue that it defies description.. my only interest is in how it STUFFS up communiity relations here in my fair land.. In fact it IS against the law to vilify people on the basis of their race.. and that would include Macedonians attacking Greeks.. (verbally) and vice versa.

So.. my word to all Greeks and Macedonians (Serbs and Croats/Arabs and Jews) is... SHUT UP about your irrelevant history, and think more about how you can leave it behind and create a better Australia.

Oh wait.. I forgot.. a 'better' Australia is one where we teach just the 'Greek' version of history....right?

Soo..as for your RACISTS.. I agree.. i.e..All recent MIGRANTS who think they suddenly have a right to run the country after being here 5 minutes and still speaking with a strong FOOT-A-SCRAY accent. You know.. we were quite fine before you all came with your 'histories'..we had enough trouble with out own let alone adding yours to the mix.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 25 January 2009 2:31:15 PM
BOAZ_David,

I don't know who you are any more.

What's happened to you?

Or are your comments an attempt at humour?

Because you're not the BOAZ_David I remember.
He wouldn't deliberately say hurtful things
to people. He was bigger than that.
He actually believed in the Aussie ideal of
a "fair go," for all.

Or at least that's what I thought.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 25 January 2009 4:10:08 PM
David Boaz PLEASE

Not on this 'thread'

Opening new thread to discuss the people who should be asked to leave Australia.

Thank Yo
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 25 January 2009 4:14:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All