The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > RSPCA wants more control over exported puppies - The Age

RSPCA wants more control over exported puppies - The Age

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. All
RSPCA urges more control on exported pups (The Age, extract)

ANIMAL rights activists are calling for the Federal Government to close a loophole allowing thousands of Australian puppies to be sold to Asian pet farms.

Unlike other live animal exports, companion animals such as cats and dogs are exempt from export declarations. As a result, authorities have no record of whether the animals are exported for private or commercial reasons...

Australian dogs are popular because there is no need for quarantine in many countries, including Singapore, and because they have not been exposed to rabies.

But the puppies can have different fates, according to Singapore-based animal rights campaigners....

Many pets are abandoned and, according to the Singapore Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, purebred animals including Jack Russells, shih-tzus and Maltese are increasingly being dumped.

An animal purchased in good faith who grows too large, barks or is unruly is likely to be abandoned

http://www.theage.com.au/national/rspca-urges-more-control-on-exported-pups-20081129-6ng6.html
Posted by Nicky, Sunday, 30 November 2008 4:59:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not as if we don't know what happens to most animals in Asian countries. But do the puppy-mill breeders care? Of course not. But posting this may not have been so smart after all - wait until the "livestock" export farmers get hold of it, there will be shiploads of all breeds of dogs sent off to China. After all, if there's a quid in it, what do the animals matter?

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Sunday, 30 November 2008 8:54:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nicky in reality we too treat pups and dogs like that.
We buy them as gifts, sometimes clearly unwanted gifts and they end up on the street.
Is it any different in any country?
Well yes in some Asian country's they eat them.
But we can not change that, we truly can not change that.
I am aware of your opposition to live cattle exports, I think it is uncharitable to compare , or suggest in any way the two trades are connected.
And over and again expressing the view live exports are so evil is not changing minds on the issue.
Of all who post against the trade you do at least can debate without uncontrolled anger.
But while I will forever support less cruelty to any animal, the reasons for live exports are far more than those often given.
I understand the thread is not for me , my views will see me dumped on soon .
But as for killing all sheep and beef in Australia? pricing rules it out markets do not exist and it will not happen.
Yes some unions based on self interest [membership] want it but reality is often hidden when self interest is involved.
I hate to think of my little pups Sky and Blue lost on the streets but drive past plenty every day never knowing it, you can not change human nature, not that I call those who leave them human.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 1 December 2008 5:00:54 AM
Nicky,
In truth the RSPCA wants more control (period). Refer to the first law of organizations. Self preservation first.
The RSPCA knows that every time they highlight animal cruelty in the press they get more donations. They need to show their donors that they are doing something, if only blowing smoke.

Sure the issue is one of concern of that there is no doubt.

What is needed here is some perspective.
• Dogs are imported “to improve” a breed and return on investment.
That means to meet aesthetic standard? e. g. the British Bull dog standard demands a flat face…to hell with the effect on the animal. Look up historic pictures of this breed and see what it originally looked like.
In breeding is done to gain desirable features like coat colour or pattern etc.
What do you imagine happens to the failures?
There is no guarantee that a show dog say Shih Tzu won’t spend a great portion of its show life in a contained area so as not to damage the coat. What guarantee is there that all the pups will go to good homes and not to a puppy farm?
Should other countries therefore refuse to send us dogs? Imports of German Shepherds were banned at one stage all that occurred was inbreeding and genetic faults.
• Puppy farms in Australia like all farms, some are good and some aren’t.
Some of the worst conditions I’ve seen are in “showing breeders” (backyarders)
• Look in any pet shop window (there are some good and some well….
And look at the ‘cute’ crosses bred to SELL. They often cost more than purebreds.Labradoodles, Bull Arabs etc simply marketing breeds.
• Christmas puppies often share a simple fate at Easter when the family wants to go on holiday.
So who is to blame? Breeders who want a dog that meets a standard, those who see a $ or shops who fill a need? The answer must come down to the individual owners. Shouldn’t we clean up our own backyard before dictating to the world?
Posted by examinator, Monday, 1 December 2008 6:40:08 AM
Nicky:

I am 100% with you on this one again!

Maybe each one of us should stand in front of the mirror and ask ourselves what we can do to make this world a better place for the animals who, unlike humans, are incapable of complaining about their lot in the big picture and consequently suffer in silence as they are manipulated, mutilated and murdered to satisfy the whims and financial desires of the "superior species"

We SHOULD be concerned as each day we are observing increasing levels of crime and violence in our society, diminishing levels of punishment and especially the acceptance of personal responsibility and liability for hurt inflicted upon others.

We are now witnessing an unprecedented upsurge in whale "beachings" due to reasons that remain officially obscure..( although I suspect that the US` operation of it`s "submarine fleet communication system" HARP may figure predominantly as the possible electronic predator!)

Things seem to heating up as we notice that the Government wants an investigation as to how we can expediently save these helpless creatures and return them unharmed to their natural environment!....(free from confusing electronic signals with which they are being bombarded around the clock and around the world....maybe?)

What chance do these animals have, when the human race seems to be so intent on destoying itself over simple everyday issues like religion, power and money?
Posted by Cuphandle, Monday, 1 December 2008 10:50:45 AM
Hey guys, I hear what you're saying, and thank you, especially Cuphandle. In Australia, however, dogs are less likely to be skinned (alive) for their fur or eaten. I'd suggest also that people who have unwanted dogs are (ever so slightly) more likely to surrender them at a shelter, although I certainly take on board Belly's comments. All too many are not. As for so-called "designer breeds", more often that not they have all the difficulties of the breeds from which they are mixed and fewer of the qualities for which they are supposedly bred. Breeding in the deformities causes the dogs lifelong difficulties (flat-faced dogs live with significant respiratory problems).

My personal view is that this is a contemptible "industry", and does little more than contribute to the 200,000 dogs who are destroyed needlessly in this country every year (and those are just the reported numbers). The "impulse buying" of dogs as gifts is now being policed rather more carefully, at least by shelters. The Dogs' Home where I live will not sell dogs in December.

Belly, I hope I don't "come down on you". I understand from other threads that you come from a union perspective, so I'm a little surprised by some of your comments. I think the AMIEU certainly has a case when it comes to the export of livestock. It isn't only them, either, the reports done by Heilbron and Larkins and Lindner backed up everything they said and more, as do ABS statistics. And at the end of the day, there is not, and should never be, any excuse for knowingly providing animals - any animal, be it a sheep, a cow, a goat, horse, camel, dog or cat, rabbit, rat or mouse, to be brutalised - by anyone. It's that simple.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Monday, 1 December 2008 12:22:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy