The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > State Land and Private Religous Purposes.

State Land and Private Religous Purposes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
Imagine the kaffufle if the Herald Sun front page said:

"Exclusive Brethren granted Melbourne University land for Worship"

I rather think there would the outcry of outcries.
It would be especially shrill if it was known that such a facility, built at Taxpayers Expense, was to be for the exclusive use of E.B. members only.

I am very concerned that ANY State land not be allocated for ANY religious group, including my own.

What do readers think about this issue?

Is it

a) Consitutional
b) Compliant with anti discrimination law

For the State to promote one religion over others on public Tax payer owned land?

While the constitution only says:

116. The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion,....

If it could be successfully argued that the EFFECT of granting land to one group for their exclusive use is the same as making a law which 'establishes' a religion... then surely this would make such an act unconstitutional?

The other side of this, is the common sense aspect. If one religion is granted land for religious worship and there are 100 religions represented at a University and they all claim the need for exclusive facilities....then it would be unworkable and uneconomical not to mention totally destroying the fundamental purpose of say an educational institution where such land was allocated?

I believe this must become a political issue which needs legislative clarification. Fortunately for me, I live in an upper house seat which was decided by the grand total of 245 votes.

Just one 'voting group' or.. some enthusiastic lobbying and public information events would be enough to swing it one way or the other.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 1:56:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Be honest, for a change Boaz, and let us know up front what this is really about.

Because as far as I am aware, the Exclusive Brethren have no such designs on campus real estate.

So what are we really talking about here?

I think I know, but I'd like you to tell us.

Go on. Put your cards on the table.

And this time, do us all a favour and present the full story. It gets tedious having every time to fill in the details that you conveniently ignore.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 4:57:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is this still about the
Muslim Prayer Room that was
raised in another thread?
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 5:58:17 PM
Of course it is, Foxy.

Porky's apparently now taken to rehashing his old trolls.

Same shite, different day. Yawn.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 6:36:03 PM
Hi team... actually it is about a principle.

The specifics of the a case in point are not relevant to the principle.

PRINCIPLE.. is.. that no State land should be allocated for ANY religious group in a discriminatory way. i.e.. the State canNOT be complicit in discrimination. Nor can the state be party to any act which has the EFFECT of 'making a law establishing a religion' .. it is still unconstitutional and in my humble view unlawful. (EO Act)

If no one was actually doing things to advance such an unconstitutional and unlawful discriminatory agenda you probably would not hear a peep out of me.

A group among us is seeking just this, and actively campaigning, lobbying, seeking support for and manipulating information in an unethical way in order to gain support.

Now..for the record, in a previous post about a demonstration, I was accused of just this. I found little point in defending myself because people had their minds made up. The fact of the matter was that Pericles was right and I was wrong. The numbers involved were as he suggested, not as I did. The number of participants I used was from the same group, but a different demonstration but was nevertheless true for that equally disturbing demonstration. I admit I was confusing 2 demonstrations in that post. Now.. let's see how far this is taken.. will it prove my point my critics who claim I fabricate and lie, when my writing sometimes is no more culpable than CJ's when he claimed I lied in another thread and quickly posted a follow up apology admitting I was not!

I question the legality of ALL Public education institutions which allow themselves to be duped by politically correct motives into breaking our law and constitution.

WHAT REMAINS is for a test case to determine the issue.
I am lobbying now with members of parliament for just that.
As I mentioned, the upper house seat in our area was won by just 245 votes... quite an attractive number to a bloke in a congregation bigger than that.
Posted by Polycarp, Thursday, 16 October 2008 5:39:22 AM
Porky seems unaware that every university in the country has at least one - often several - Christian chapel/s, on "State Land". The last university at which I was employed had an official University Chaplain, who was a Catholic nun who used to swan around wearing a habit.

I pointed this out to Porky the first time he started tubthumping about this issue, but his memory appears to be as selective as ever.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 16 October 2008 8:01:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy