The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's in an opinion?

What's in an opinion?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Haralambos “Yes, most on OLO are sheep. Mind you, I like sheep, but they can not think for themselves.”

Haralambos “Now I do agree with you about personal and cultural preconceptions. Nevertheless, I believe we can rise above them.”

Maybe you should try practicing what you seem to be preaching and rise above your personal and cultural preconceptions.

Btw the notion of an opinion being like belly button –

the way I heard it, an opinion was like a fundamental orifice and much of what you seem to be preaching has the characteristics with what comes out of a fundamental orifice.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 23 June 2008 10:23:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Haralambos,

You said we can rise above our preconceived values...that they only continue because we allow them to?

I think it's more complicated than that.

Values change over time...today we question the meaning of "progress."
And new problems posed by science and technology ...(pollution of the environment). There is less insistence today on the value of conformity and certainly less emphasis on group superiority.

Self-fulfillment has been gaining ground as a 'new value.'
It would be quite foreign to many cultures - even discouraged, where obligations to kin, work, and community are assigned more priority.

Our values change as our societies change - However, some of us are not capable of changing. Some people are set in their ways and for whatever reason - change is not part of their psyche.
That is the point that I was trying to make. We're all individuals.
And our opinions reflect this. Right or wrong. Some people are not capable of rising above their preconceived values and perceptions.
And that's a fact!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 26 June 2008 8:58:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would add that change in itself is not necessarily desirable. It's also the definition of arrogance to assume you are right and others have to 'grow up' or be enlightend and come around to your world view.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Friday, 27 June 2008 9:14:42 AM
I fully agree with Usual Suspect.

So I've composed a short ditty:

"You have an opinion,
Which you think is true.
I have an opinion,
Which doesn't agree with you.

You think yours is better,
And, you may be right.
However we're both wise enough,
To think, instead of fight."
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 27 June 2008 12:02:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy