The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's in an opinion?

What's in an opinion?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I do not see any sign of a boys club on OLO actually. Both genders equally provide well reasoned and articulate opinions. Both genders are pretty good at holding their own. Sure, things can get a bit heated but that is good- it is wonderful to see freedom of speech in action.

It is really important to not take other posters comments personally. If you are someone who is a sensitive soul and who really feels the sting of other peoples words then perhaps reconsider other means of putting your opinions forward. However, on the most part, contributers to OLO are a pretty good lot and can be remarkably compassionate and kind at times.
Posted by TammyJo, Friday, 20 June 2008 9:31:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'So when I write I try to say it clearly and politely. '

'GROW UP!'

Hmmm.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Friday, 20 June 2008 9:56:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
With 6 out of 10 people [apperently ] growing out [not up]
[presuming the adults posting here ] to be allready grown up as much as they are physiclly can.

[perhaps we should understand we are as 'grownup' as we are ever likely to become?

then perhaps better facts would help us
to then move on with facts that not opinions ,
as facts cant change , but opinions can be changed

that more fact not more opinion just might help them mature in their faith that underpins their fixated faith in opinion ,and scews their logic into futile debate about what is at best only their opinion?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 20 June 2008 11:09:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haralambos

This topic raises further important questions like: Is one opinion better than another? And if so, why?

Answers turn on the distinction between an idle opinion and an informed opinion. Or between informed opinion and prejudice. Or between a tentative opinion and one which is refined over time.

An opinion is an assessment or judgement about a matter, however callow or however well-informed. An opinion based on rational assessment of the key facts is not only more helpful (to the holder and to others how listen to that opinion). It is also likely in some cases to be converted to something better than opinion if the facts on which it is based are shown to be valid. We all act on opinions (ours and those we influence) every day - and so do politicians and other power brokers - so the more informed that opinion the better the outcome should be.

In debate some people start from a preferred position and merely surround themselves with other similar opinions and countenance only the evidence that supports and solidifies their position. Other people genuinely come to an issue with an open mind and are willing to be swayed by observation and analysis of the facts.

OLO has many more of the first type than the second.

OLO posters vary in their ability to identify different types of opinion. Take these three questions:

- Do some people think Muslims are inferior? This is matter of fact which we can test by asking people what they think. It has no bearing on whether Muslims are inferior.

- Should Muslims be kept in an inferior position to Christians? This is a matter of the values we hold and an assessment of the perceived consequences one way or the other.

- Can you ever be sure about what is right? This is a logically complex question like: 'Are faith and reason opposed to each other?' or 'Is political democracy compatible with economic free markets?

People will form and share opinions on all three. But each type requires different types of analysis.
Posted by Spikey, Friday, 20 June 2008 11:41:14 AM
Dear Haralambos,

I can't remember who said, "It's better to let people think you're a fool, than to speak and confirm it!"

I understand the point you're making on this thread.

Most of us tend to react - and jump right in - with our 'two cents worth.'

But perhaps that's healthy? Or as Dorothy Parker said,

"But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!"
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 20 June 2008 11:46:48 AM
Sorry but in my opinion the post inferring we are a boys club and need to grow up is both wrong and rude.
I note those who are unhappy with us are new to the site.
Just relax read and form your opinions about us based on understanding such sites are much the same.
I am sure some of our very best posters are women.
No club exists.
And maybe something else is behind the post?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 20 June 2008 2:06:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy