The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should public hospital authorities be prevented from placing Gideons Bibles by patients' bedsides?

Should public hospital authorities be prevented from placing Gideons Bibles by patients' bedsides?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Boaz,

I don’t find it at all strange that you might delight in genealogies, or the human details that might be attached to such lists that others might find… hmmm.. not that interesting. The popularity of genealogical websites attests to something almost universal. The desire to know “who am I?” by asking “who did I come from, what did they do, and who begat them?” is probably hardwired into the brain, I reckon.

Speaking of which, my own parents spent a year or so teaching in Kuching in 1957, or thereabouts. My guess is that there probably weren’t all that many Christian missionary types from Australia in Sarawak at the time. Perhaps you knew each other. I’m guessing this is roughly the time you were there. If you like, I’ll ask if they remember you. If David Boaz isn’t the name you went under then, you can contact me at schmoof55@yahoo.co.uk, if you like.

Regards,
Posted by Snout, Saturday, 28 October 2006 12:05:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why are Christians so intent on pursuing a political agenda? Instead of trophy hunting to gain brownie points with a non-existent god which Christians know nothing about anyway- to somehow be magically converted into an immortal upon death - why not reject Christian values and do something for the community for nothing in return.
Throw away your religious hat and put on a hat of a citizen and work for the community. Instead of placing propaganda next to those stressed by injury and disease in hope of recruiting reinforcement for a superstition, why not start or work for a hospital library and work for the wellbeing of others rather than to use them to convince yourself you are saved (immortal)?
Posted by West, Saturday, 28 October 2006 2:08:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
West,
You are so ignorant of what Christians actually do in community. Placing bibles in hospitals is one small act done by a small group of sucessfull business men who receive hundreds of encouraging letters from patients, on what the Bible meant to them during their time in hospital.

Have you ever visited St Vincents, Anglicare, Wesley Mission, Salvation Army etc etc. You might be surprised if you were only informed. These charities also actually run hospitals. One of the most highly respected Hospitals in Sydney is the Sydney Adventist in Wahroonga.
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 28 October 2006 5:50:57 PM
Philo I am not addressing what some Christians do in the community ( a tiny minority work for selected communities) I am addressing why Christians do work in the community when they do. To be Christian is to devote ones life to becoming immortal by appeasing their idol. Christians have no god , so the next best thing is to convince others to believe so as to make god seem real. All community work done by Christians is politically motivated and insincere. This is why Christians cant do anything out of honest compassion for others but as judgementally and politically loaded excersises with strings attached. All the organisations you listed are cynical political organisations that only help with strings attached. I am suggesting Christians who truley wish to help others should leave god under the bed and join the citizens of this country and do great real works and forget god politics.
Posted by West, Sunday, 29 October 2006 10:23:02 AM
My spirituality is earth based. When I stayed in hospital for week last year, there was a small Christian bible in the draw next to my bed. Was I offended? No, it did not bother me at all. It is not of my belief but it is there for those who do wish to read it. Why should I hinder with them.

A nurse noticed my spirituality listed and asked me if I would like the book removed but I told that it can stay for the next person as it doesn't bother me at all. Sadly, the world has gone so mad that they removed it anyway for political correctness for me. If I did not want it there, I would have said so when they asked me.

People, if you don't want to read it, don't. You are not being forced to read it at gun point so why whine about it?
Posted by Spider, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 11:59:56 AM
I suppose part of it is the assumption everybody believes in God.To me the bible has the same sentiment as Mein Kampf its all about justifying one group of people dominating another. I think you are right maybe I focus too much on those who Christians persecute and not respect their divine right to persecute others as clearly they Gods unto themselves.
With all this reflexivitey I am still not convinced. Why dont we impartially test if spiritual material does not offend people, we should try a pilot program with placing the satanic apochrapha next to hospital beds , start with the smallest spiritual minority and work our way up. Sorry to offend you devil worshippers I meant to write Satanic Apochrypha.
Posted by West, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 2:26:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy