The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should public hospital authorities be prevented from placing Gideons Bibles by patients' bedsides?

Should public hospital authorities be prevented from placing Gideons Bibles by patients' bedsides?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
G’day Boaz,

By the standards of today, the Yahweh of Amos is a depressingly psychopathic tyrant, although I understand the intent of Amos (as with most prophets) to try to stir up a bit of social reform by appealing to his countrymen’s traditional relationship or covenant with their old war god. I’m always happy to try to find the good and interesting or the funny or insightful in the bible (or any other text): I love the beautiful language and mythology of Genesis, and much of the philosophy in Paul, or the elegant blend of myth, legend, liturgy and moral teaching as Matthew tries to link the old and new during the disastrous 8th decade CE of Judeo-Christian history. Even Deuteronomy provides an interesting historical record of the central idea (that of the Covenant) of this ancient temple state.

But I don’t quite understand how you can see Amos as a good read, especially for someone in a hospital bed who might not be feeling too well to start with. An interesting account of the mass psychosis of a particular ancient people at a particular time, sure, (or perhaps the personal madness of an individual), but I think the skeptic’s annotated bible sums it up pretty well: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/am/good_list.html.

As for the Genealogies in 1 Chronicles, I’m afraid you’ve lost me completely there. You might have to be a bit less obscure.

I have to admit, though, that I'm a bit wary of encouraging you in this way: I suspect my atheist-humanist mind is going to struggle to make any sense whatsoever of your christian-evangelist one! My snouty curiosity has overwhelmed me, however.
Posted by Snout, Thursday, 26 October 2006 1:51:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yipee.. :) (snout)

Let me first agree with you about Amos and especially Lamentations... as NOT being exactly the kind of thing a person in intensive care might like to read.
Genesis would be quite uplifting though (once you got passed the flood) The stories of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and Joseph etc.. are wonderfully heartwarming.

But back to the genealogy.
By way of background, let me also say that I myself did not appreciate them so much unTIL I spent 8 years in Sarawak, where such things are central to the indigenous culture. People can rattle off names (and anecdotes) of people going back many hundreds of years..they not only know their own direct line, but the branches and sub branches..amazing stuff. Like the line descending from the brother of the great great great great great grandfather.. and mother.. and so on.

Here is a morsel...

21 The sons of Shelah son of Judah:
Er the father of Lecah, Laadah the father of Mareshah and the clans of the linen workers at Beth Ashbea, 22 Jokim, the men of Cozeba, and Joash and Saraph, who ruled in Moab and Jashubi Lehem. (These records are from ancient times.) 23 They were the potters who lived at Netaim and Gederah; they stayed there and worked for the king.

Note the reference to 'linen workers' and 'potters'.....also a note about 'records'...

There are many more. One that I can't find is where it goes through 'so and so the son of... the son of.. the son of.. (this is the so and so "who lost his donkey and dug a well where he found it")

to distinguish him from any other of the same name...

This will seem obscure sorrrrry.. but to me, because I've LIVED this kind of thing, been surrounded by it, breathed it.... it just beats me around the head and grabs my undivided attention and wide eyed fascination. Not something I expect ill people to relate to :)

The structure is so real based on experience.
cheers.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 26 October 2006 9:03:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Err...... who cares ?

I doubt that the Bible, the Koran, the Baghavad Gita, the Tora or any religious text will make a difference to the medical outcome.

(unless, of course, the medical team was all of the same/my faith and dearly wanted to save one of "their own".
Posted by Iluvatar, Friday, 27 October 2006 11:27:48 AM
Could I suggest all those concerned they might pick up viruses and infection not touch any reading material in Dr.s surgeries. They are rearely replaced or sterilised. At least good Gideon companies constantly replace well used Bibles. You see the issue is about Bibles not reading materials of virus infected paper.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 27 October 2006 11:44:07 AM
The highest health risk a Gideons bible would pose is spreading mental illness, afterall the Bible was written to spread paranioa based superstition. It could lead to the ill and drugged into thinking it was the end of times or if they followed certain rituals they would be immortal and give up the fight to live.
Posted by West, Friday, 27 October 2006 12:12:41 PM
On this occasion I agree with Philo. Reading the Bible, regardless of the circumstances [for an adult person] is a personal choice. And what you make of it is up to you.

When I visit the doctor's surgery, I look through womens' magazines so that I can do the cryptic crosswords. Whilst I am flicking through looking for the crossword, I try not to be distracted by the romantic, body image and psychological problems, complete with eye-catching photos, of a strange assortment of celebrity and foreign royalty figures, lest it should adversely affect my mental state.
Posted by Rex, Friday, 27 October 2006 12:54:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy