The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Emperical God?

Emperical God?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
It's funny that whenever I talk with a Christian, they quote the bible to back up their point. Being an atheist this is like quoting Tolkein or Jordan to prove that magic exists. Being a scientist I wonder if anyone out there can give a convincing argument in support of the existence of god. Please no talk about faith (this runs counter to empiricism and truth)and no bible quotes. Remember Occazam's razor "all things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one."
Posted by thecat, Saturday, 17 May 2008 11:34:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Puss.....E...mpErical?

*goes to Google on line dictionary*

*types in "EMPERICAL"..*

*Google says "nating..nada..nyet... would you like to try "EMPIRICAL"

AAH.. now I think I know what the cat is on about.

Well the first "empirical" result is the knowledge that you (a scientist?) cannot spell :)

Ok..teasing aside.. I sometimes make spelling mitsakes also 0_^.. but in your TITLE? hmmmm

Now.. see where your challenge results when you ban bible quotes and 'faith' ?

But let's try something different, and ask "do YOU have 'faith' in various things?"

Sure u do, you have faith in the engineering principles which undergird the design (and construction) of every lift you go in. You don't 'see' all that went on to make it, but you still trust/have faith in it.

Likewise, you probably accept (by faith) that Captain Cook had a fair bit to do with the settlement of Australia by Europeans. but your faith/belief in that historical event is based on...'documentary evidence'.

Now..being the good scientist that you are, you will appreciate that 'evidence' can be of various forms. There is 'empirical' as your title suggests, ..where you can (like in my case) put together some assembler code that is meant to turn things on, or off at certain times, and coordinate various electro-mechanical events in such a way as to make some physical object 'do' something.. like turn, or stop turning.

But you ALSO know very well that all of history is based on documentary evidence, and archeological discovery.
You ALSO know that some countries hang/lethally inject execute people based on.. "testimony" of others.

So, without going any further, unless we can agree that 'personal testimony/eye witness accounts' constitutes 'valid evidence' for something which happened, there is little point to this discussion.

Hence this is the end of my post.
blessings.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 18 May 2008 7:15:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good morning people. Now I have put forward a debate that no-one can argue with and whether you like it or not David, Evolution is the winner! You feel up lifted with your experiences of Jesus, and you think that was grand, wait until you throw this religious monkey off one's back and feel the real freedom that no god exists. (Its fear religion is imposing) That my friend is more spiritual than anything you have ever experienced! Its the next level.( its really a battle with one's own mind) I fear no god and my life runs beautifully, and the love in my heart and the respect that I have for all living things never ends. ( your born with it ) The law and order that the bible helped mankind with "mate" we got it, OK! Its time to move on and become gods of ourselves.

Being the frightened hamster of the all-mighty zoo keeper, restricts mankind's development in such a way, its cruel in its own right.
Posted by evolution, Sunday, 18 May 2008 9:43:50 AM
anyone who believed we got here by chance is so blinded they are bound to swallow evolution crap in the name of science.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 18 May 2008 10:09:31 AM
Looks like we could have a catfight on our hands here, because this feline sees right through the hypocrisy of those who deny intelligent design, yet FAITHfully embrace THEORY as scientific fact in the most important scientific debate of all. Curiously I believe intelligent design and Evolution theory have a huge overlap of agreement - there aren't many people I know who disagree with survival of the fittest - it is observable and obvious. But in a display of widespread child abuse, this common truth is used to con schoolkids across the country into believing the "magical" part of evolution - that somehow the ever-improving organism can transform into an entirely different species!

Never mind though, this cat can sit around and wait for some common sense and reason to prevail in this debate - intelligent design is readily apparent all around us - you just need to OBSERVE. Perhaps if I wait long enough, this cat might turn into a sea sponge, or a orangutan, or a giraffe? No - that can't happen because that aspect of evolution is a complete nonsense.
Posted by cybacaT, Sunday, 18 May 2008 11:13:05 AM
Cat, isn't this just like asking for theological support for a scientific theory? If there was empirical evidence, we would stop calling it/him God.
Posted by freediver, Sunday, 18 May 2008 11:24:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy